Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Greg Cosell on Auburn OT Greg Robinson

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Greg Cosell on Auburn OT Greg Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    You're probably correct
    Why not just stop there?

But you could be right, this may go beyond the normal rhetoric. Ultimately, we'll know in May.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

When asked if it was safe to assume that Oline was a major priority going into the draft, he said to Jeff Darlington, "that is your assumption, not ours."
    Just my opinion but if the Rams are drafting for the Oline, it's LG and C.
    You can get a quality Center prospect in the 3rd or 4th round and you can get a quality LG prospect in the 2nd.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    You can get a quality Center prospect in the 3rd or 4th round and you can get a quality LG prospect in the 2nd.
    You can get quality Wr, DE, QB, LB, CB, S and TE prospects in rounds 3 and 4 as well.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You can get quality Wr, DE, QB, LB, CB, S and TE prospects in rounds 3 and 4 as well.
    And yes!

I believe It isn’t so much the position, rather it is how Les/Fish view a particular player. I was really shocked last year when the Rams traded up for Tavon Austin, as I felt they would target another position. The Rams obviously viewed Tavon as a special player as did Fortuninerhater.

This year, I doubt I will be shocked by any of their selections/trades in round one. As relates to the O-line, we simply don’t know how they really feel about the top 3 offensive tackles. If they feel one of those prospects is a “can’t miss” type of player (note: “can’t miss” not being the same as “safe pick”), then one of those top prospects will be a Ram come May.

The only sure thing we know right now is that Les/Fish and crew will not give away any inkling of their true intentions until after the 2014 draft.

Until then, let speculation abound!

Two years ago I was a member here but not very active. I was begging the Rams to take Brockers. Felt he was the best player at the biggest position of need. We had two good ends and nothing worth bragging about up the middle. He's helped a lot since then.

Last year I didn't want Austin. I felt Hopkins with his size and route running ability was more what the Rams needed on offense. I loved Tree with the second 1st rounder.

This year there are two glaring holes on the Rams roster. LG and FS. Matthews and Dix fill those needs nicely. We can still get Matthews if we trade down to say 6 with the Falcons and pick up an extra 2nd at least. We could also get Dix if we trade down to the 16-20 range I think. Picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd. We could also use the higher 2nd rounder we get from the trade and the 3rd rounder we get from the 2nd trade and move back in to the late 1st round, like Minnesota last year, and address the WR or CB need. Kyle Fuller can be had in the late 1st round as well as Jason Verrett or Kelvin Benjamin at WR.

Just a thought. Might have to draw up a mock as we get closer now.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    well, that can be said for any position really.

How's our rd 2 and 3 recievers worked for us...?

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post

How's our rd 2 and 3 recievers worked for us...?
    It was merely pointing out that waiting to take a position until later rounds is the worst sort of argument. The history of the NFL draft can show us that an All Pro or even Hall of Famer can be taken in any round or can even be an UDFA. Don't say you wait on a QB till the mid rounds because Joe Montana was taken late in the 3rd round or Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round. That's what I'm referring to. You take the best player that can help your team win and let the "experts" criticize you for reaching as you get a good player and add him to your team.

Also our latest 3rd round receiver I think is going to work out great for us and I don't want to give up on our last 2nd rounder either.
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    I'm guessing that was his point.

You can easily cherry-pick mid and late round selections that have worked out, and use them to say, "Well we can get a ________ in these rounds."

But that shouldn't be used as a reason to pass on a great prospect at the position earlier in the draft. Tom Brady coming from the sixth round hasn't suddenly stopped teams from taking quarterbacks in the first round.

Because of the rookie wage scale, positional considerations are less of a factor than they have been in the past. Last year, we saw two offensive guards taken in the Top Ten; that would have been unheard of in previous years. Teams are going to evaluate players and stack their board accordingly. No one with a need for a pass rusher is talking themselves out of Jadeveon Clowney simply because Greg Hardy was a sixth round pick.

And again, the people who keep pointing out that the Rams' need on the OL is actually at guard need to consider that a pick of Robinson or Matthews fills that need in the short term in one of two ways: (1) either of them could line up and likely excel inside until it is time for them to replace Jake Long at LT, or (2) Barksdale could shift inside to play guard while making room for Robinson/Matthews at RT.
    MauiRam likes this.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm guessing that was his point.

You can easily cherry-pick mid and late round selections that have worked out, and use them to say, "Well we can get a ________ in these rounds."

But that shouldn't be used as a reason to pass on a great prospect at the position earlier in the draft. Tom Brady coming from the sixth round hasn't suddenly stopped teams from taking quarterbacks in the first round.

Because of the rookie wage scale, positional considerations are less of a factor than they have been in the past. Last year, we saw two offensive guards taken in the Top Ten; that would have been unheard of in previous years. Teams are going to evaluate players and stack their board accordingly. No one with a need for a pass rusher is talking themselves out of Jadeveon Clowney simply because Greg Hardy was a sixth round pick.

And again, the people who keep pointing out that the Rams' need on the OL is actually at guard need to consider that a pick of Robinson or Matthews fills that need in the short term in one of two ways: (1) either of them could line up and likely excel inside until it is time for them to replace Jake Long at LT, or (2) Barksdale could shift inside to play guard while making room for Robinson/Matthews at RT.
    If there was a "double like" available, I would have used it. Very good points Nick!
    Nick likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If by "the people", you mean me, I think that is a great plan. I just like mine better.
    Nick likes this.

If by "the people", you mean me, I think that is a great plan. I just like mine better.
    Not just you, but fair enough.

RealRam is offline Registered User

...A pick of Robinson or Matthews fills that need [OG] in the short term in one of two ways: (1) either of them could line up and likely excel inside until it is time for them to replace Jake Long at LT, or (2) Barksdale could shift inside to play guard while making room for Robinson/Matthews at RT.
    Absolutamente, ¡sí señor!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12