Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: Greg Cosell: Sammy Watkins best WR prospect since A.J. Green, Julio Jones

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Greg Cosell: Sammy Watkins best WR prospect since A.J. Green, Julio Jones

Greg Cosell: Sammy Watkins best WR prospect since A.J. Green, Julio Jones
    Aaron Wilson
    February 13, 2014, 03:42 PM EST

NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell watches a lot of football film.

So when he says Sammy Watkins could be the best receiving prospect since A.J. Green and Julio Jones, it's something that will catch your attention.

Speaking on 104.5 FM in Nashville, Cosell touted Watkins' abilities as a receiver and how he'll translate into the professional game.

"There's no debate here," Cosell said. "I think Sammy Watkins, based on what I've seen, is the best wide receiver in this draft."

Cosell went on to say Watkins is the best since that 2010 draft when Green and Jones were taken in the first round.

Watkins is a different type of receiver than Green and Jones. He's just 6-1 and 205 pounds, compared to the tall frames the other two have. But Watkins is an explosive playmaker when he has the ball in his hands.

If Cosell's assertion pans out, there will be a team that's very happy with selecting Watkins.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Greg Cosell: Sammy Watkins best WR prospect since A.J. Green, Julio Jones

Watkins is a guy who I could get behind as a potential selection at No. 2 if, for whatever reason, the Rams decide not to take an OT. The big play potential with him and Austin on the field together is intriguing, to say the least.
    laram0 and Haste like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Watkins is a guy who I could get behind as a potential selection at No. 2 if, for whatever reason, the Rams decide not to take an OT. The big play potential with him and Austin on the field together is intriguing, to say the least.
    Wow, that high a pick, huh? Even over Evans. Interesting!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

No thanks. The Rams already have a pile of guys in this physical mold. How's that worked out so far? They desperately need the big man with good hands and a drive to fight for every ball. That's Mike Evans.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    No thanks. The Rams already have a pile of guys in this physical mold. How's that worked out so far? They desperately need the big man with good hands and a drive to fight for every ball. That's Mike Evans.
    He's bigger than most of the Rams' WRs at 6'1, 205, and is probably faster than all of them except Austin.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I love his ability.

I don't love how many of his receptions were from screens.

Can he run a decent route tree? If so, I'm all for adding another play-maker to the offense. If not, we have enough players with potential who really need work on their route running. Either way, I wouldn't be mad to get a play-maker of his type, but I think there's more important positions that high in the draft.

Now if the Rams decide they can get a solid OT without using their first pick, is it Watkins or Clowney?

That's a tough one.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

After trading back, we can still grab Watkins and finish our defense and fix our O-line. It is highly possible that this happens. That is what I am hoping for personally.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I love his ability.

I don't love how many of his receptions were from screens.

Can he run a decent route tree? If so, I'm all for adding another play-maker to the offense. If not, we have enough players with potential who really need work on their route running. Either way, I wouldn't be mad to get a play-maker of his type, but I think there's more important positions that high in the draft.
    Agreed on the bevy of screens. That was my natural concern too. Which brings up the obvious concern about route running.

BUT (and I wish i saw the article rather than hearing it 3rd hand... see "hearsay"), a good buddy of mine who I share Rams talk and updates with indicated he read some remarks by Isaac Bruce about Watkins and highly praised his route running.

Again, I wish I read it myself and/or could paste it herein... but if my buddy was accurate in his reporting to me.... it sounds like Bruce was really impressed by Watkins' route running and put him as his #1 wr in the draft this year.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    Agreed on the bevy of screens. That was my natural concern too. Which brings up the obvious concern about route running.

BUT (and I wish i saw the article rather than hearing it 3rd hand... see "hearsay"), a good buddy of mine who I share Rams talk and updates with indicated he read some remarks by Isaac Bruce about Watkins and highly praised his route running.

Again, I wish I read it myself and/or could paste it herein... but if my buddy was accurate in his reporting to me.... it sounds like Bruce was really impressed by Watkins' route running and put him as his #1 wr in the draft this year.
    This is more from Taj Boyd's lack of arm strength and the super- strength of Watkins to break tackles...usually you worry if those screens are to a light-weight speed guy, but Watkins has it all....I have done my full analysis on all the WRs....but its evident that Watkins will be #1 and the only top 8 pick being a WR......

2-15 is sooo deep and sooo interesting, but not #1
    ManofGod likes this.