bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Greg ellis got dropped.. anybody?

I really don't know the up and up on Ellis the last couple years.. what do you guys think?? I wouldn't mind a good vet DT, if he isn't looking to break the bank anyway

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Greg ellis got dropped.. anybody?

I actually read somewhere that the Rams would be smart to look at him. Spags has already said that one can never have enough lineman...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    I really don't know the up and up on Ellis the last couple years.. what do you guys think?? I wouldn't mind a good vet DT, if he isn't looking to break the bank anyway
    He's listed at 6'6"-265 lbs...(Yahoo Sports)

He played linebacker for the Cowboys and had 8 sacks last season.

fyi,

A-Web is offline Registered User

Not to criticize Yahoo! for anything, because they may be completely correct, but if in fact he is weighing in at 265, he would be more in the weight class of a DE/LB in a 4-3 defense than a DT. At 265, he would be pushed around like a golf ball by a rhino against a guard/center.

But if it were an option to add him to the rotation to help Leo Little stay healthy and 100% by getting a few reps on the bench, maybe it's somethign to look at.

Based on Spags, I can see him being acquired, but, BASED on Spags, I cannot see him playing DT for the Rams at all. Not with his size.

But, this information could all mean nothing if Yahoo! is just completely wrong on his weight.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    Not to criticize Yahoo! for anything, because they may be completely correct, but if in fact he is weighing in at 265, he would be more in the weight class of a DE/LB in a 4-3 defense than a DT. At 265, he would be pushed around like a golf ball by a rhino against a guard/center.

But if it were an option to add him to the rotation to help Leo Little stay healthy and 100% by getting a few reps on the bench, maybe it's somethign to look at.

Based on Spags, I can see him being acquired, but, BASED on Spags, I cannot see him playing DT for the Rams at all. Not with his size.

But, this information could all mean nothing if Yahoo! is just completely wrong on his weight.
    NFL.COM has Ellis at 6'6"- 262 lbs.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Than based on the facts, I would have to agree with my own post, and say that Yahoo! was somewhat accurate, and that he is definitely not a DT in a Spags scheme.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Suffice it to say, that the DT is a typo. He played DE for the Cowboys before they converted to a 3-4 in which he played a rush LB. Coming into our 4-3, if we signed him, he would be playing one of the defensive end spots.

But all that is null and moot because we don't have the money to sign him(I think and expect) and he wouldn't want to come here because we're not exactly the best team, and we already have two starters at DE.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Veteran LB Ellis finds new home with Raiders
    NFL.com Wire Reports

Less than two weeks after being released by the Cowboys, Greg Ellis has a new home. The Oakland Raiders have signed Ellis to a contract, reports NFL Network's Michael Lombardi.

Career Statistics
    Sacks: 77
    Interceptions: 4
    Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The linebacker had spent his first 11 years in the league with the Cowboys and left with the eighth-most sacks in team history.

The Cowboys bypassed wide receiver Randy Moss to take Ellis with the eighth overall pick in the 1998 draft. Ellis had 77 sacks in 162 games and led Dallas in sacks six times.

Ellis was a defensive end for most of that time, then moved to linebacker when former coach Bill Parcells changed to a 3-4 defense. Ellis grumbled at first, then tore his Achilles' tendon. He returned in 2007 and had his best season with 12.5 sacks in 13 games, earning NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Veteran LB Ellis finds new home with Raiders
    NFL.com Wire Reports

Less than two weeks after being released by the Cowboys, Greg Ellis has a new home. The Oakland Raiders have signed Ellis to a contract, reports NFL Network's Michael Lombardi.

Career Statistics
    Sacks: 77
    Interceptions: 4
    Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The linebacker had spent his first 11 years in the league with the Cowboys and left with the eighth-most sacks in team history.

The Cowboys bypassed wide receiver Randy Moss to take Ellis with the eighth overall pick in the 1998 draft. Ellis had 77 sacks in 162 games and led Dallas in sacks six times.

Ellis was a defensive end for most of that time, then moved to linebacker when former coach Bill Parcells changed to a 3-4 defense. Ellis grumbled at first, then tore his Achilles' tendon. He returned in 2007 and had his best season with 12.5 sacks in 13 games, earning NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors.

Wow.. sorry Ellis.. he got hosed