Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Greg Robinson best fit for Rams at No. 2 pick, analysts say

Rambos is offline Registered User

Greg Robinson best fit for Rams at No. 2 pick, analysts say

By Chase Goodbread

The St. Louis Rams were hands-on with offensive tackles Jake Matthews of Texas A&M and Greg Robinson of Auburn on back-to-back pro days earlier this week, but the one who fits the Rams the best of any tackle is Robinson.

That's the opinion of NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell, and NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock believes Robinson -- along with Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins -- helped himself as much as any draft prospect in pro days this week.

"The buzz this week has been Greg Robinson, the left tackle from Auburn," Mayock said on NFL Network's "NFL AM" on Friday. "From my perspective, if he went to St. Louis at No. 2 overall, it wouldn't surprise me at all."

And it wouldn't surprise Cosell, either.

"(The Rams) evolved into a running football team, and it would not surprise me if they take that approach, even with (quarterback Sam) Bradford back (from injury)," he told Midday 180 Radio. "If that's the approach they're going to take, I would take Greg Robinson at No. 2. I really like Greg Robinson. I think Matthews will be a really nice player. In some ways he is similar to his teammate from a year ago, Luke Joeckel. Repetitive execution are their strengths. Matthews may be a little bit better athlete, but I think Robinson is the best of this tackle group."

While Matthews' biggest adjustment in the NFL might be blocking at the point of attack in the running game, that was Robinson's specialty in a stellar sophomore season at Auburn. Robinson's adjustment will be learning a pro-style offense that is vastly different from the one he excelled in last season in Auburn's spread-option attack.

Clearly, Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau is examining all sides.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Greg Robinson best fit for Rams at No. 2 pick, analysts say

I find myself going back and forth on this one.

With Matthews, I'm confident that we'd get a player who could start from day 1, would make few mistakes, and would hopefully have a long and productive career with the Rams (i.e. a Jackie Slater type).

With Robinson, I see a player who might have a few early hicups, but could be a a dominating run blocker who overwhelms opponents with his sheer size and athleticism (i.e. an Orlando Pace type).

Flip a coin.
    eric2810 and Vinnie25 like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I'd prefer Matthews, but if the Rams opted for Robinson, I'd be fine with that.
    Mikey likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

If we where going to go with the spread offense I would take Matthews. If we stay the course and run two TE sets, I would go with the bigger man and support his pass blocking in the short term with a TE.

A case can be made for both. I would trade back and be very happy with either.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Certainly a good problem to have if necessary. IMHO so much rests on the re-signing of Rodger Saffold. We may opt to go a different direction after presumably trading the #2 pick with Atl. who wants J. Clowney, which I'm sensing will happen as John McLain of the Houston Chronicle imparted that Clowney would be a scheme problem for Houston as they switch to a 3-4 defense under R. Crennel. They already have to figure out how to scheme JJ Watt and W. Mercilus into that defense.

Leaving for us the possibility to select Taylor Lewan at #13, assuming he's there. Something about Lewan intrigues me as he's the chippy/nasty type of player Jeff likes. It just has be channeled so we don't get a lot of penalty flags.

I posted in another thread that Mike Evans might be our top pick as he'd be a real difference maker. #6 may be early, but we could trade with Minny or Buffalo. Minny wants a QB and Bortles or Bridgewater may be there and Buffalo may want Kalil Mack. My guess is any of those players may be on Tampa's radar screen at #7.

Go Rams!

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

With Matthews, I'm confident that we'd get a player who could start from day 1, would make few mistakes, and would hopefully have a long and productive career with the Rams (i.e. a Jackie Slater type).

Flip a coin.
    Wow, Slater on one hand or Pace on the other?! That is a pretty good, but extremely tough choice to make. I scale is tipping in Robinson's favor, but not a single tear will be shed if Matthews is indeed the pick. This coming from a Pro Watkins first choice.

With Robinson, I see a player who might have a few early hicups, but could be a a dominating run blocker who overwhelms opponents with his sheer size and athleticism (i.e. an Orlando Pace type).
    RealRam likes this.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

We found out this past year that we don't have an offensive coordination that is dynamic enough to put a spread offense on the board and Fisher has accepted this weakness by insisting they want to dominate by running the ball.

I have accepted that so let's give them 2 more years and draft the offensive talent they need to carry out that offense starting with a dominate left tackle and a quality starting OG in the 2nd or 3rd.

If Fisher can't get it done after 2 more years then we can re-visit. I makes no sense to draft Sammy Watkins when we have an OC that doesn't know how to use him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This is what I love about ClanRam. Cosell's comments about Robinson being a good fit for a power running Rams offense isn't breaking new ground here; we've been pointing that out and discussing it for nearly two months now. Just goes to show the kind of great dialogue and intelligent membership we have talking football here.
    Bar-bq and mde8352gorams like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I will tell you all next year after I watch them play. I am a hindsight kinda guy......

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I will tell you all next year after I watch them play. I am a hindsight kinda guy......
    I knew you were going to post that, but I didn't want to say anything until you did.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This is what I love about ClanRam. Cosell's comments about Robinson being a good fit for a power running Rams offense isn't breaking new ground here; we've been pointing that out and discussing it for nearly two months now. Just goes to show the kind of great dialogue and intelligent membership we have talking football here.
    Sometimes it seems that sports writers come to ClanRam to gather good material.
    Nick likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I say the Rams trade down a couple spots, select either Robinson or Matthews, than use some of the picks we gained from our initial trade down to trade up from #13 to select Mike Evans… pretty much the opposite of what we did last year. A first round where we get Robinson and Evans would make me excited for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I say the Rams trade down a couple spots, select either Robinson or Matthews, than use some of the picks we gained from our initial trade down to trade up from #13 to select Mike Evans… pretty much the opposite of what we did last year. A first round where we get Robinson and Evans would make me excited for the future
    So you're looking for the "it takes three to Tango" scenario.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Flip a coin.
    I've felt the exact way about these two.

At first, I was all for Robinson and his potential. However, I'm slowly starting to lean towards Matthews and his stability.
    Mikey likes this.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Leaving for us the possibility to select Taylor Lewan at #13, assuming he's there. Something about Lewan intrigues me as he's the chippy/nasty type of player Jeff likes. It just has be channeled so we don't get a lot of penalty flags.
    As a Michigan fan, I am worried about Lewan. Their Oline was horrible this last year. Maybe the rest sucked and he was trying to play too many positions. But I saw him being turnstyled many times this last season. I am in one of those "love to have him / hate to have him" positions...
    This space for rent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast