throwback week

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Bald_81
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Guarantee: Rams take a CB with one of their first two picks

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Guarantee: Rams take a CB with one of their first two picks

This, of course, barring any substantial upgrades made via free agency. Last year when I released some of my own pre-draft Rams mocks, I had them taking Ras-I Dowling (who was ultimately taken ahead of them) but my main problem was that although the Rams don't lack depth at CB, they lack quality depth. We are getting a really good look into that currently with Bartell and Murphy both on IR.

The coaching staff is absolutely fooling itself if they think Justin King has a future in this league let alone as a starting CB. They also have a bandaid in Al Harris who although is performing admirably, clearly does not have a future with this team due to his age and durability concerns. This is reminiscent of '09 when Danny Gorrer (lol) was forced into the starting line up. Our shortcomings in pass defense have adverse effects on our run defending which is why it's vital (despite having been for multiple seasons now) that we get it shored up.

Also, I believe Bartell and Fletcher become free agents after next season so that only makes it much more urgent. I would be absolutely shocked and floored if we didn't draft a CB in the first two rounds this year because IMO this has gone far enough.
    ManofGod and ZiaRam like this.

LARAM is offline Registered User

Re: Guarantee: Rams take a CB with one of their first two picks

It's definately unfortunate that the Rams are 0-3, and it doesn't look like it's going to much better anytime soon. I'm not throwing in the towel, but I have to be honest. The Rams are playing like an 0-3 team. There is definately hope, but we're just missing a few more components here.

I definately agree that we should be looking for a CB in next years draft. Lately it seems we just can't catch a break when it come to the secondary positions. With this being said and with the continued overall performance of this years team we could very well be picking in the top 3 in next years draft. If this should occur we should immediately target,Tyrann Mathieu, CB-LSU. He would be a huge upgrade and may possibly be better than Patrick Peterson, whom was selected by AZ this past draft. Just my thoughts

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

You make some great points. Not only is it clear that we lack a competent nickel defender, but the long-term future of Ron Bartell (due to injury and contract) as well as Bradley Fletcher (due to contract) is far from certain.

And it's not as if the Rams haven't been spending picks on cornerbacks. In the last 5-6 years, the Rams have drafted...

Mikail Baker (7th, 2011)
    Jerome Murphy (3rd, 2010)
    Marquis Johnson (7th, 2010)
    Bradley Fletcher (3rd, 2009)
    Justin King (4th, 2008)
    Jonathan Wade (3rd, 2007)
    Tye Hill (1st, 2006)
    Ron Bartell (2nd, 2005)

They've only hit on a quarter of those picks, and while I know it's tough to expect seventh rounders to become something, even if they just became a quality dime or even a nickel back that'd be a huge bonus for us. But we've missed on a number of DBs.

When you're watching college football on Saturdays, it might be worth keeping an eye on guys like Dre Kirkpatrick, Stephon Gilmore, Morris Claiborne, and Alzonzo Dennard.
    ManofGod likes this.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

i would be totally happy with this pick honestly.Spags can make CB look better with pressure but theres only so much you can do when the CB lets the WR get free within 2 secs and good QB sees it and makes a pass.How fast do we expect our line to get the the QB realistically??We must give our dline a couple secs to cover down field so the line can get to the QB.CB in round 1/2 sounds like a solid and much needed pickup.Honestly rather than draft a young player that will in all likely take time to develop into what we need him to be id rather make a move trade/FA.I dont know next years FA's for CB but id rather trade so we can have a CB for next year rather then 3 years later.Im not talking about a old vet maybe some1 coming off rookie contract thats good but needs a payday.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM View Post
    If this should occur we should immediately target,Tyrann Mathieu, CB-LSU. He would be a huge upgrade and may possibly be better than Patrick Peterson, whom was selected by AZ this past draft. Just my thoughts
    He's a true sophomore so he's not going to be in this upcoming draft class. I saw first-hand this weekend what he could do on the field, but as a pro prospect, it's going to be tough for him to top Peterson unless he adds about three inches of height and 30 pounds of bulk.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Speaking of a CB we drafted..
    (click and read caption)

Guarantee: Rams take a CB with one of their first two picks-spags.jpg
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -09-26-2011 at 02:03 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I've been saying it for 2 weeks and will continue to say it. The Rams will draft CB Dre' Kirkpatrick. I haven't seen a corner come out in maybe 3 years that would fit into this defense as good as Kirkpatrick would. Hes 6'3 too.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

We will probably take a good long look at Dre' Kirkpatrick and Alshon Jeffrey for this upcoming draft.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i didn`t realize Bartell would be out of contract next off-season,i would have said that maybe we would be better off going DT,WR or Safety with that pick with OLB in the mix too.
    but if it`s a case of only signing one of him or Fletch then we must Re-sign Fletch really due to his age and the fact that although he`s not quite as good as Bartell yet..in a year or two i think he will be. if Ron would be open to signing a reasonable cap friendly deal i`d bring him back too tho..aslong as the neck heals enough for him to be safe to play next year like it should then there`s no reason really to think the injury will hinder his play..is not like he`ll be coming back from the kind of injury Fletch had that could have totally derailed his career or atleast made him lose a yard of speed etc..

i`d probably prefer us to look at the other positions i already mentioned if we re-sign both Bartell and Fletch tho..a stud Safety to team up with Mikel would probably be wiser if we kept our usual starting duo of CB`s. or a DT to get extra pressure up front.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -09-26-2011 at 01:55 AM.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    i would be totally happy with this pick honestly.Spags can make CB look better with pressure but theres only so much you can do when the CB lets the WR get free within 2 secs and good QB sees it and makes a pass.How fast do we expect our line to get the the QB realistically??We must give our dline a couple secs to cover down field so the line can get to the QB.CB in round 1/2 sounds like a solid and much needed pickup.Honestly rather than draft a young player that will in all likely take time to develop into what we need him to be id rather make a move trade/FA.I dont know next years FA's for CB but id rather trade so we can have a CB for next year rather then 3 years later.Im not talking about a old vet maybe some1 coming off rookie contract thats good but needs a payday.
    I would agree with you 100% if not for individuals such as this one: Devin McCorty
    Individuals such as these show that with good coaching & the right situation, player can become a pro bowl caliber player in very short time. Now yes he is the proverbial "one in a million", but it is possible. Therefore the thought of drafting a CB potentially high in the draft should not be out of the question. We just have to hope that our front office does their homework thoroughly. I'd also like for us to address the WR and S position in the coming draft as well.