Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The guy nobody (except me) is talking about as a possible Rams first round pick...

Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee
    This is the guy who I see as the potential "party crasher" of the first round. He is big (314 lbs. at his recent Pro Day) and has performed well on the field. He has not been considered a top prospect because last September he tore his biceps, resulting in season ending surgery. However, he now seems to be recovered, as evidenced by his 31 bench press reps at the Tennessee Pro Day.

I am moving him up on my Draft Board and now have him as the #3 DT behind Okoye and Branch (jumping over Tank Tyler).

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: The guy nobody (except me) is talking about as a possible Rams first round pick..

I have heard his name mentioned; whoever we pick, I just hope they make an impact from the first snap to the final whistle.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: The guy nobody (except me) is talking about as a possible Rams first round pick..

Right now, I'm sure most would call him a "reach" at #13. But, if the Rams really want a DT, and Branch and Okoye are gone, I see him as a viable, if risky, option.

Also, there have been some who have suggested that the Rams might wish to trade down, target Tank Tyler, and get an extra day 1 pick. I wouldn't do that, but if the Rams could pull that off and get Harrell, I would be on board with that move.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

He's been my #3 DT for a while now. However, I do think that #13 is early for him, even after putting up 31 on the bench. We'd have to trade down into the early or mid 20's, I suspect.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick, what could we expect to get to trade from 13 down to 21 to take harrell. Does that get us a #2 pick or do we only get a #3.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Nick, what could we expect to get to trade from 13 down to 21 to take harrell. Does that get us a #2 pick or do we only get a #3.
    From a value perspective, the difference is equivalent to the 23rd pick in the second round. I'm hesitant to think that a team would offer a first and a second to move up though. Maybe a first and a third with a future pick instead. Impossible to say, really. You'd have to figure out who slips to our pick that someone would want to trade up for and which team would want to trade up to get him.

RealRam is offline Registered User

AV, see? Now that you've got us talking about Harrell, you're not the only one!

From Football'sFuture.com:

Harrell has all the talent to be a standout defensive tackle at the next level. He has solid size, is a good athlete, and is strong. He is an excellent run stopper, displaying the ability to hold his ground at the point of attack and get off blocks to bring down the ball carrier. He also shows the burst to get through the line and has the speed and athleticism to get to the outside and run down the offensive player. You have to love Harrell’s attitude as well. After rupturing his bicep against Air Force, he came out and played through the pain against Florida the following week.

...Harrell is a guy who could have been a first round pick with a big senior year, but it ended prematurely. With a good workout circuit, he could re-establish himself as a Day One pick.
    Harrydog, I went to the web site link you posted.

On the other hand, I keep wondering what Jimmy Kennedy himself thinks about all this speculation: Okoye, Branch, JIMMY KENNEDY, etc.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-27-2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Added Kennedy speculation

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

So how many of you guys actually have draft boards? I have this picture in my head of Avenger with a white board, a pen, and an eraser, moving names around on his draft board.

:bash:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actually, its pinned a couple of threads to the North.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

That figures....I guess you can edit as needed as well, you God among men, Avenger.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-28-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Too much?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

He seems to be predicted to be taken somewhere from mid to late first round at the moment, which means we would have to do some serious trading to get in a position where his value would be good enough for the Rams to draft him

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Nick, do you have a link to the draft pick values? I have seen it before, but just curious to study it with the draft just around the corner. Thanks in advance

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
    Nick, do you have a link to the draft pick values? I have seen it before, but just curious to study it with the draft just around the corner. Thanks in advance
    Here you go, partner.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Bench press doesn't really utilize your biceps, so much as your triceps and chest. I don't know if that makes the slightest difference but I think he is a bit of a reach for #13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast