Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Hadley: I am 100% sure the Rams will take Glenn Dorsey.

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    This reeks of a smokescreen to me. It seems suspicious that all the Rams writers are suddenly pushing Dorsey as the pick. He and McFadden are probably the most likely players a team would trade up to select at #2. The Falcons and Saints have shown interest in Dorsey, while the Jets and Raiders would supposedly like D-Mac. And now all of a sudden McFadden is our second option??? Spare me.

:l

-jake-
    Exactly. As the Rams writers all start to say Dorsey is a lock, I can't help but laugh. The Rams are trying to make the Falcons do something they don't want to do and move up one spot for Dorsey. Say a trade with Atlanta does go down, what is the value difference between 2 & 3 and what could the Rams hope to get in the exchange?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The interesting thing about this situation is that Devaney came from the Falcons, so if anybody knows how to push their buttons, it's probably him. On the other hand, you'd think the Falcons would know Devaney's tricks, too (if this is all a big smokescreen).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If it's Dorsey, so be it. He's not my first choice, but he's still a top five talent in this class and I would have to assume he wouldn't be the choice if the Rams weren't genuinely satisfied with his health. Hopefully if we draft him he really does become the next Warren Sapp, but at this point I'm not yet convinced. I can only hope he changes my mind on that. But I've been talking about our need for a defensive end for two years now, so I hope that if the Rams do take Dorsey and pass up on the draft's best two DE prospects, they have a better plan for addressing the defensive end position than "Hey, maybe Carriker can shift out there."
    Last edited by Nick; -04-24-2008 at 08:39 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    What if you all are over thinking this. What if the Rams really do want Dorsey? You guys will all look so dumb. A double smokescreen? Really? No one in the entire NFL thinks the Rams are seriously thinking about drafting McFadden. The only reason someone drafts McFadden with #2, is if the Jets trade up so Oakland doesn't take him.
    Extremely rare double smokescreen. That was supposed to be humorous. I thought it was obvious enough but apparently not.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    The interesting thing about this situation is that Devaney came from the Falcons, so if anybody knows how to push their buttons, it's probably him. On the other hand, you'd think the Falcons would know Devaney's tricks, too (if this is all a big smokescreen).
    DeVaney came from the Falcons - he was hoping to get the Falcons GM job when Rich McKay was demoted.....it did not happen.....I'm sure DeVaney is enjoying "needling" the Falcons a little bit right now.

However, DeVaney probably knows next to nothing about Thomas Dimitroff. Sooooooo, how much does DeVaney know about the Falcons? well he probably knows the scouting dept. and he probably knows the Falcons scouts like Dorsey.......

Try as he might, I don't think the Falcons are making a significant offer to move up to take Dorsey. I think DeVaney wants to take Chris Long but he is scared to - if he could get Falcons to give him something, he could rationalize the Chris Long "pick" over Dorsey - who the Rams staff has rated higher.

Falcons want "more" picks - not less......If Rams take Dorsey, look for the Falcons to try their best to "trade down" and take an offensive tackle. If Falcons could trade into the back of the top 10 and pick up an extra 2nd rounder - that would leave Falcons with four 2nd rounders......We have a tremendous amount of holes so all these draft picks are going to help us. Also, the good part about not taking Dorsey is I don't have to worry about his injury history - that hairline fracture of the tibia does scare me a little.

Having said that, if Dorsey is available and Falcons don't have to trade for him - he's still the pick for Atlanta.

BTW, my gut instinct is Falcons won't take Matt Ryan at #3 - even if Dorsey is gone...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think we're forgetting the Double Secret Probation Triple Dog Dare Smokescreen..............maybe the Rams like Dorsey.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

BTW, my gut instinct is Falcons won't take Matt Ryan at #3 - even if Dorsey is gone...
    And what if you can't trade back, just as we can't trade back?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I think we're forgetting the Double Secret Probation Triple Dog Dare Smokescreen..............maybe the Rams like Dorsey.

No way HUb, don't you know the only "need" on this team is DE? We get the godlike Gholston or the Superman in disguise Chris Long the Rams win the Super Bowl this year? That's all this team needs, never mind that the secondary is weak, the LB's are thin, the DT's are lead by a tweener in Carriker, that the O line isn't that intimidating to a DC, that what used to keep DC's up at night was our WR's but now are relegated to 81 being the only threat.

No, we just need a DE. Everything else is either a smokescreen or the writer is stupid.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And what if you can't trade back, just as we can't trade back?
    yes, that is when it gets interesting for the Falcons - you would think they would just take Sedrick Ellis, right? I mean he's supposed to just be a small step down from Dorsey - but I don't think the Falcons are interested in Ellis - maybe they are but they never brought him to Flowery Branch - they did go to USC to watch his workout.

So, if Falcons miss out on Dorsey, don't want Matt Ryan and cannot trade out of the #3 pick - then they are in a real dilemna - the top three players on the board (McFadden, Gholston, Chris Long) are all at the two positions that the Falcons don't need - RB(Michael Turner/Jerious Norwood) and DE(John Abraham/Jamaal Anderson-1st round pick last year).

So, who's left? well, i said they don't want Matt Ryan but who do you take? do you "reach" for Ryan Clady or Branden Albert? I don't think you can.......my guess is SOMEBODY would offer the Falcons something to move up to take McFadden or Ryan........You don't think the Jets or Ravens would even make the call? sure they would - maybe Dimitroff would "take less" to move down......

I am sure the Falcons have contingency plans for all situations........should be fun...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    No way HUb, don't you know the only "need" on this team is DE? We get the godlike Gholston or the Superman in disguise Chris Long the Rams win the Super Bowl this year? That's all this team needs, never mind that the secondary is weak, the LB's are thin, the DT's are lead by a tweener in Carriker, that the O line isn't that intimidating to a DC, that what used to keep DC's up at night was our WR's but now are relegated to 81 being the only threat.

No, we just need a DE. Everything else is either a smokescreen or the writer is stupid.
    I know you're being sarcastic, but I hope you don't actually feel there's someone out there who views DE as this team's only need.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I know you're being sarcastic, but I hope you don't actually feel there's someone out there who views DE as this team's only need.
    And a lot of us (me included) would still be satisfied with the Dorsey pick; I just don't prefer it. There's a good chance that the Rams are actually serious about taking Dorsey, moreso than Cutler and Ginn of years past, but I'm still very skeptical.

:l

-jake-

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

What if you all are over thinking this. What if the Rams really do want Dorsey? You guys will all look so dumb.
    And Kiper's been doing this 30 years, he doesn't make a living being stupid and picking names out of a hat AV.
    Hmm, it looks like Kiper is now saying the Rams will pick Chris Long. Interesting.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Kiper's a joke. Don't believe me? Well, let me take you on a trip down memory lane to a post I made a few years back...

Its interesting to see how opinions about a player can change during the months leading up to the draft. Check out these quotes about Alex Barron:

January 18, 2005:
    "Barron is equally adept in the passing and running games and has light feet for a player his size."

February 8, 2005:
    "With light feet for a player his size, Barron is a consistent blocker who is equally adept in both the pass and run games."

March 6, 2005:
    "Athletically gifted with great footwork as a pass blocker, Barron started 30 games during his career. He is the clear-cut No. 1 among offensive linemen due to his strength and experience and should be a solid starter at the pro level."

April 4, 2005:
    "He is very strong in the lower body and has quick feet in pass protection."

April 5, 2005:
    "Ideal right tackle prospect." (Ranked 11th best player in the draft).

April 11, 2005:
    "Barron needs to become more physical, but he has the size, strength and feet to develop into a starting right or left tackle in the NFL."

April 24, 2005:
    Tackle
    Alex Barron has plenty of athletic gifts but is inconsistent in his effort, so the Rams may or may not have the right tackle they need."

Okay... here's the punch line...

Every one of these quotes comes from one guy. You guessed it...

MEL KIPER!!!!!

Wouldn't you love to be able to ask Mel how Barron went from being the "ideal RT prospect" on 4/11 to someone who may not be the RT the Rams need - not even two weeks later?!?!?!

So, this year, according to Kiper, the Rams are taking Dorsey... or Long... or Gholston... or trading down... or...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

30 years of experience has obviously given Kiper and Hadley a keen ability to follow the prevailing wind.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Yes... and that wind allows them to break a lot of stories (aka "breaking wind")

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12