Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hadley: Rams Should Add Ginn, Jr. and Williams

Friday, April 20, 2007
    RAMS SHOULD ADD GINN, JR. AND WILLIAMS

STRENGTHEN YOUR STRENGTH.

The Rams should do what they do best. play offense.

There has been two hot topics filling my e-mail this week: Albert Pujols and the Rams.

The latter has two issues of interest: The Rams first-round pick and Ricky Williams.

Simply stated, the Rams front office just does defense poorly.

It has little to do with coaching and everything to do with past philosophy and present decision-making.

The Rams front office, in particular Charlie Armey and football operations lacked appreciation for toughness. They lacked appreciation for the term "football player." Collectively, football operations has overweighed athleticism and the "salary-cap tree" in building the defensive depth chart.

Jim Haslett is an excellent defensive coach and Rick Venturi is one of the most respected assistant coaches in the game.

However they 're hamstrung by past decisions still hanging as an albatross around this roster.

The coaches change, the players change, however until this football program is firmly in the grasp of a true veteran personnel director. the infatuation with ageing "marquee" names, and athletes instead of football players on the defensive side of the ball will prove problematic.

Hence, there is only one way to overcome. the offense.

From 1999-2001, and in 2003, it was the Rams offense that keyed success.

The current defensive woes were exacerbated with perplexing decisions dating back to 2003. First, in the spring, the Rams passed on Troy Polamalu in the NFL draft because according to football operations. it was impossible to justify paying a safety premium compensation with the 12th pick in the draft. Hence, four years later, the Rams choice of Jimmy Kennedy has resulted in 30 starts, and an average of 17 solo tackles and one sack per season while Polamalu has proven the hard-core defensive leader missing on this team.

Kennedy like so many others drafted by the Rams were athletically advanced for their, respective, positions however lacked the football acumen and hard-core mentality that strikes fear in the opposition.

Question: How many players on the Rams defense strikes fear in the opposition?

Following the 2003 season, most everyone other than Rams football operations were aware that Aeneas Williams was running on fumes, they failed to properly plan. The Rams allowed Grant Wistrom and Brian Young to walk losing hard-core players that were "football players." Don't fool yourself, Wistrom would've never left town had the Rams been willing to pay a few more dollars for the abstract aspects he brought to the table. Young was a factor against the run and recovered six fumbles in his last two seasons with the Rams.

President John Shaw has shuffled the deck at Rams Park. He is holding a good hand capable of winning the jackpot if he can simply take the chance of asking for one more card. here's to hoping the dealer turns up a true personnel director.

Rams Park is filled with talented people, the old guard has slowly been weeded out or re-assigned however somehow, someway Jay Zygmunt keeps a stranglehold on personnel. Zygmunt understands ledger columns however fancies himself a personnel aficionado which has hindered the growth of this program. Frankly, until that changes it will take a miracle for this franchise to overcome.

That noted, don't underestimate Shaw, he has proven capable of working miracles.

After Zygmunt botched a search for Rich Brooks' replacement, it was Shaw that entered the process luring Dick Vermeil into the fold.

It was Shaw that completed the task by insisting that Vermeil hire an offensive coordinator with autonomy. so welcome Mike Martz.

It was Shaw that personally hit pay dirt finalizing a deal to bring Marshall Faulk to town.

Recently it was Shaw that saw the flaws in Ron Rivera leading to the decision to hire Scott Linehan. an offensive mind capable of capitalizing on the Rams offensive assets.

As the Rams new program continues to evolve, hopefully Shaw will complete alterations at Rams Park by placing a "true football man" in charge on personnel.

The Rams have arrived at the crossroads, long-term the most important move is keeping Shaw in place.

Having worked very closely with NFL executives on various levels over the last three years. one thing is certain, Shaw is viewed as one of the best in the business. Somehow, someway, regardless of the individual conversing, the same comment is uttered (paraphrasing): "When Shaw leaves, that organization could implode."

Short-term there are two pressing issues: Hiring a legit personnel director to run football operations and strengthening strengths in order to enjoy a modicum of success in 2007.

With that in mind, the thought of Ted Ginn, Jr. and Ricky Williams on the depth chart should be embraced by Rams fans.

Do the research. how many rookie defensive tackles truly make a difference in their first two seasons? Again, take the time. you'll be hard-pressed to fill both hands with the number of defensive tackles that are real impact players in their first two seasons?

Why my concern about the next two seasons?

In 2009, Leonard Little will be 35-years old; Torry Holt will be 33, Orlando Pace will be 34, Isaac Bruce will be. well, not here.

My point, the time is now for the foundation of this football team.

Grab a piece of paper and a pencil. determine the 12 best players on this team make a list. You can certainly come to the conclusion that 75 percent of the best players on this team are offensive players. Little, Pisa Tinoisamoa, and Will Witherspoon are the only three defensive players that are mandatory names on the list of the 12 best players on the Rams roster.

With that in mind. I say for the time being play to your strength and develop a plan moving forward with a veteran personnel director to build the roster for the future.

Assuming that Alex Barron and Richie Incognito will advance upwardly this season the Rams offense has the ability to rank with the best.

There I quality depth at quarterback and tight end.
    Adding Ginn, Jr. guarantees Coach Lineman a legit four-deep rotation while at the same time adding a real difference-maker on special teams.

Why not Ricky Williams?

Should Marc Bulger miss time, Gus Frerotte is the safety net.

If Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce are injured, Ginn, Jr. becomes an option as the "number three."

If Randy McMichael is sidelined, second-year TE Joe Klopfenstein is a viable alternative.

If the heavy workload brings down Steven Jackson. having Ricky Williams in reserve would be glorious. Williams splitting time in 2005 (with Ronnie Brown in Miami) while seeing limited action in the CFL last season saved wear-and-tear. Williams has proved capable of carrying the load, he is a better receiver than advertised and is familiar with Coach Linehan's system.

While the majority are seemingly scoffing at Ginn, Jr. and Williams. their addition in my estimation would complete what would be the most talented offense in the NFL. yes, better than Indianapolis, better than New Orleans, and better than San Diego.

It's rare that a team has the luxury of depth that the Rams are in a position to execute offensively this season.

If the Rams are truly sold on James Hall as claimed privately. combined with Leonard Little and a developing Victor Adeyanju, bolstering the flanks on the defensive line later in the draft is acceptable. Same with the defensive interior. considering the talent available with their first-round pick this season, it's unlikely a real difference-maker will be had this season, so add later in the draft. better yet, develop a legit plan to supplement with a veteran next season.

Many insist the interest in Ginn, Jr., is a smokescreen.

I certainly hope that isn't the case. Ginn has the skill to be a factor. He often played his best against the best. ask Michigan or Notre Dame. How many times has a player toasted the Florida Gators special teams? He would have time to develop as a receiver being the Rams number four wideout while returning kicks. By the way, some scouts still believe he could be transformed into a superb defensive back.

Don't fool yourself, if the Rams lost Steve Jackson for any length of time. turn out the lights, the party is over. Adding Ricky Williams changes that opinion instantaneously.

Witherspoon, Tinoisamoa, and Tye Hill are building blocks defensively for the future. Claude Wroten, O.J. Atogwe and Ron Bartell might prove factors. With supplementation later in the draft and hopefully under the guidance of a legit "football man" running football operations next season. a plan of attack beginning with free-agency will be the key to bolstering the defense over the next couple seasons because in few years it will be time to overhaul the offense.

For the time being, if the Rams are to advance into postseason play it will be the offense as the catalyst hence don't quickly and easily dismiss the idea of strengthening the strength in an attempt to "win now."

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hadley: Rams Should Add Ginn, Jr. and Williams

That may very well be the worst article I've ever read. I want a refund of the minute of my life it took me to read it.

general counsel is offline Registered User

team propoganda for the smokescreen. what exactly did wistrom do for seattle. Absolutely NOTHING except eat big cap dollars. We made a smart cap decision letting him go. Everyone in the nfl thought kennedy was the right pick at 12. No one complained about it at the time and i mean no one. Hindsight is 20-20.

You want to criticize something, criticize the idiocy of letting pickett walk

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I love this article. We need to win now!!!!!.... so we're going to take a #4 WR!! :x

Of Bulger's pass attempts in 2006, only 3% of them went to #4 WR Shaun McDonald. So it seems pretty clear to me that Ginn's "win now" impact won't be felt on offense.

As for the return game, ask yourself this - what was more responsible for Chicago's 2006 success, Devin Hester and his five special teams touchdowns or Chicago's top-ranked defensive unit?

Until this team shores up one of the worst run defenses in the league and improves on a pedestrian pass rush, the road to post-season glory is going to be long and tough.

Attack, attack, attack. Any chance to poke at Ginn you light up. There is nothing wrong with taking the best player available with your pick. And if that is Ginn, so be it. We all should learned a lot things with not following the golden rule. I give you Thomas, Candidate, Lewis, Arch, Kennedy. We go out of the norm with Jackson and take the best player available and we hit a homerun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I love this article. We need to win now!!!!!.... so we're going to take a #4 WR!! :x

Of Bulger's pass attempts in 2006, only 3% of them went to #4 WR Shaun McDonald. So it seems pretty clear to me that Ginn's "win now" impact won't be felt on offense.

As for the return game, ask yourself this - what was more responsible for Chicago's 2006 success, Devin Hester and his five special teams touchdowns or Chicago's top-ranked defensive unit?

Until this team shores up one of the worst run defenses in the league and improves on a pedestrian pass rush, the road to post-season glory is going to be long and tough.

keith m. klink Guest

i didn't want kennedy , i almost crapped when they called his name , i was pissed , and i totally agree about pickett , we put in the time for someone else to benefit from it .

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Any chance to poke at Ginn you light up.
    Do you have a hidden camera in my apartment to see whether or not I lit up? If so maybe I should call Chris Hansen and Dateline NBC so they can catch a predator out there in the North Star State.

Truth be told, I generally tend to respond when I disagree with something. Most people do. Right now Ginn is one of the hot Rams draft stories, so I'm responding with my opinion. I don't think it's very fair to characterize my responses as attacks. If there weren't a lot of Ginn stories out right now, I probably wouldn't be making posts about Ginn.

We go out of the norm with Jackson and take the best player available and we hit a homerun.
    That's an interesting way of recalling the past, but I don't think it's exceptionally accurate nor do I see much of a comparison to this draft and our current situation.

The primary difference between then and now is that Jackson slipped into the bottom part of the first round and we traded up for him. It's also important to note we were trading up from pick #26, which is a lot different from having pick #13.

And finally, it should further be noted that our running game at that time was no where near as strong as our receiving unit is right now. For the second year in a row, Marshall failed to eclipse the 1,000 yard mark and had missed seven games over that span with injuries. We needed to find a RB of the future, and Jackson slipping allowed us to address that area.

So to simply suggest that taking Ginn as the BPA would be akin to taking Jackson in 2004 as the BPA leaves out quite a few key details that separate the two situations.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

If he's so bent on taking a returner, why don't we take a corner that can return? Revis, ROSS....Calvin Bannister... We can pick up a speedster in the later rounds and stick him at the end zone. Higgins, Figurs, Breaston or Stuckey. If he's worried about the pass defense, since apparently field position says to the other teams "The Rams can stop the run now". why not take a corner and then someone to return kicks later?

He also said if Jackson goes down we all go down, add Ricky Williams. Maybe, but Williams isn't the same player, or close to it he used to be. He was nothing in the land of the waffles even before his injury. So draft a running back. There's been tons of running backs that produce as rookies. Just look at last year, Jones-Drew, Adai, Bush...

Take the best player available, if for some reason it HAS to be Ginn, fine but don't crap your pants because Troy Williamson is still on the board.

Nick...

So, tell me a straight answer...no jumping around.

You know and I know most everyone will be gone by 13. Lets say no Adams, Willis, Okoye, Carriker, Landry, Branch, or Anderson.

Who do you want us to pick?? And why? Please don't say Revis or Hall (PLEASE)

The Shredder Guest

I dont know why Linehan would want to give away draft picks to MIA for Ricky Williams. Draft picks is how you build a team and the Rams need a complete defensive overhaul, not to mention a WR.

Rambos is online now Registered User

The Rams front office, in particular Charlie Armey and football operations lacked appreciation for toughness. They lacked appreciation for the term "football player." Collectively, football operations has overweighed athleticism and the "salary-cap tree" in building the defensive depth chart.
    I stopped did not read it all... But I agree with this. When I think of SD, I see a tough football team on D!

general counsel is offline Registered User

wraith, whats wrong with saying revis? by the way, i believe kennedy was considered the best player available at the time we took him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I am not a fan of either Hall or Revis. I do not think they are mid-first round picks, I think there is a lot better talent out there, whether offensive of not. I think people are way to stuck a NEED for a defensive player ans seem to think that will solve all our problems. And the last thing I think we need is more corner projects.

If this Jenkins things goes down, we have a whole new ball game.

You are right about Kennedy. He was the best available at that point and not a high need.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    wraith, whats wrong with saying revis? by the way, i believe kennedy was considered the best player available at the time we took him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

You know and I know most everyone will be gone by 13. Lets say no Adams, Willis, Okoye, Carriker, Landry, Branch, or Anderson.

Who do you want us to pick?? And why? Please don't say Revis or Hall (PLEASE)
    Fist, I disagree with your premise. You are presuming that, of the first 12 picks, only 5 will be offensive players. I presume you would say they are (in no particular order) Russell, Petersen, Johnson, Quinn and Thomas. However, Levi Brown could also be taken in the first 12 picks (as could Ginn). Also, it is entirely possible that Hall or Revis could go in the first 12, which would mean one of the seven you mentioned would be there at #13.

But, accepting your premise, I would, without the slightest hesitation, take either Justin Harrell or Paul Posluszny over Ginn.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

RamWraith, being as logical a thinker as I think I am, you lost me at, "Strengthen Your Strength".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast