rampete is offline Registered User

Haloti Ngata DT makes sense...

i've been thinking that av is right in one of his last mock that ngata may be a legitimate prospect for the rams...

what's ngata's strength? run stopping...

what's the rams most glaring weakness? run stopping...

2+2=3.9 ... well, that's another story...

having a big powerful wide body like ngata rotating with
    kennedy and glover will be the single most beneficial
    move for our linebackers, especially the mlb, witherspoon...

with two opponents being taken care of by kennedy or ngata, witherspoon will have less to deal with in terms of shedding blockers to get to the rbs and qbs...one dominating player can free up another...

bunkley, of fsu, is a very good 1-gap penetrator but he is not the run stuffer that ngata is...penn state o-linemen dominated and neutralized bunkley by running right at him in their last bowl game...

unless huff, hawk or davis is within reach for the rams FO to trade up several spots to secure, i'd be okay with them standing pat and selecting ngata if he's available...it'll be like striking two birds with a single stone...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Haloti Ngata DT makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    having a big powerful wide body like ngata rotating with
    kennedy and glover will be the single most beneficial
    move for our linebackers, especially the mlb, witherspoon...
    Consider that one of the reasons Mike Peterson of the Jaguars (a former OLB of the Colts) has been so successful is because of the big bodied tackles in front of him keeping blockers occupied. So I think a strong case can be made for Ngata given our undersized speedy linebackers.

But smoke or not, it doesn't sound like he's getting much buzz from the front office or coaching staff.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I agree, Ngata could be to Witherspoon what Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa were to Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    ...But smoke or not, it doesn't sound like he's getting much buzz from the front office or coaching staff.
    good point, but for me, it makes the chances of selecting him all the more possible...some teams try to cover their intentions so well that it reminds me of this:

we avoid or ignore what we most covet in fear of being confronted...

it can happen with boys and girls; it can happen with teams and prospects...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd be pretty happy if we got Ngata. I think he's a legitimate top ten pick who will probably only make it to us because of Winston Justice's pro day. The run defense has been our biggest liability for years, and I agree with the points about what he could do for our linebackers. Talent meets need very well with him at #11.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Okay now, who was it here in the Clanforum that, WEEKS ago, had already recommended Haloti Ngata as an outstanding DT specimen for us on draft day?

That's when I started reading more in-depth about this young mountain man from Oregon. And GoldenFleece, I too would be VERY happy if we could select him!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I've lost all hope that the Rams will get Huff.

Okay, most of the latest Mock drafts show NGATA available when we pick. But, you guys will remember, he was going in the top 8 for months early on. What has happened?

Well, we've gotten farther away from the football season (when Ngata is constantly double and occasionally triple teamed). Some personnel guys get too deep and they take away for the way Ngata looks with his shirt off. He's not a great conversationalist in interviews. They compare his stats to guys that don't have the constant double teams and plays ran away from him.

Ngata, at 345, has exceptional quickness off the ball - for a man of any size. He has great closing speed in pursuit. He is a rock against the run.

I just don't get notching the guy down and down when NOT ONE DOWN has been played. That means somebodie's moving him due to workouts. The football field should be the guage.

This Sports Illustrated Mock Draft of 1/27/06 is typical
    they have Ngata going 8th and Bunkley going at 24.
    Their final draft has Ngata going at 13th.

If you notice, the Media Mocks have a consistent thread. That's because the sportswriters largely go by the sources in the NFL organizations. When a source isn't so enthralled or doubts a player will go that high - he makes the commensurate adjustments.

harrydog is offline Registered User

One analysis from a scouting service.

Junior eligble. Three year starter. Looks the part physically. Big thick body. Against Southern Cal he made one tackle late in the game. Matua dominated him the whole game. His career is checkered with inconsistency. Slow twitch player. First move is up. Turns his back on a spin move and loses ball. No inside pressure when he's single blocked. Rarely makes a play. Gets tied up and neutralized. Gets his shoulders turned. Doesn't push the pocket with strength. Plays high. Question instincts. He must see the ball to go to it. Inconsistent to feel pressure. Loses feet in traffic. Will drop into zone blitz coverage. Leans on blockers. Question functional strength. Gets pinned by a single block. Stands on the line of scrimmage. Jogs in pursuit. Gets driven off the ball on goal line defense. Inconsistent to fight pressure. Stops feet on contact. Can get driven back by a single base block because he plays high. Takes too many plays off. Batted down six kicks. Needs to improve use of hands. Gets hung up on the blocker. Not an impressive pass rusher. Needs technique work. Possibly a two-gap run stuffer as a nose or a 4-3 tackle. Question concentration. Durability and endurance are two big questions. First round.

This almost sounds like they're talking about someone else. They always pick every prospect apart, but this is the worst I've seen for a first rounder. If we take him, I obviously hope they're wrong.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Saw this fella being discussed last night. The big thing on him was that he takes too many 'plays off'. He supposedly could really hurt a defensive scheme with his occasional laziness and be a 2 down guy at best. The Rams have blown too many 1st round DL picks in the last few years. Hopefully they can sign Jackson and or Fisk to plug the gaps and they can go after a LB (maybe the kid from FSU) with the pick.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog
    ... Question concentration. Durability and endurance are two big questions. First round...
    it was a fitting description of damione lewis...

but the kicker was after describing what looks to be a second day prospect, they have "First round" at the end...

Saw this fella being discussed last night. The big thing on him was that he takes too many 'plays off'...
    yeah, that's a legitimate concern, but when you're 340+ lbs stamina tends to be a weak point because the volume capacity of an adult's lung is not proportional to body mass...a guy weighing 345 does not have twice the lung capacity as does a guy weighing 175...

which is why he needs to be in a rotating situation...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Hey fargo....what's up? long time no post.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I agree on Ngata, I would be happy to see us select him. With our smaller faster LB's big guys up front is just what we need! If we stay put and he's there my feeling is he'll turn out to be a very good pick.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

but wasnt that what we were saying about damione lewis and ryan pickett 5 years ago.... we've drafted 3 1stround DT's people not worth it