Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Happy New Year! Nick's First Mock of 2014, Surprise Pick from Me @ 2nd Overall

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Happy New Year! Nick's First Mock of 2014, Surprise Pick from Me @ 2nd Overall

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Really? This one Jake Matthews has him at #2 behind, you guessed it... Jake Matthews:
    NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    I said............................."ALMOST" everyone....

THE DREAM TEAM

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Happy New Year! Nick's First Mock of 2014, Surprise Pick from Me @ 2nd Overall

If I were a GM, it would for my team. I want guys who love the game and could never imagine stepping on the field and giving less than 100%. Guys who do it for a paycheck worry me (See Alex Barron, Albert Haynesworth, etc.).
    Well if we're being real, they all do it for a paycheck. If that weren't true, Sam Bradford would've said, "I'm not worth all this money, please take some back". Haven't heard that one yet, but when I do I'll be sure to give creedance to your claim.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Well if we're being real, they all do it for a paycheck. If that weren't true, Sam Bradford would've said, "I'm not worth all this money, please take some back". Haven't heard that one yet, but when I do I'll be sure to give creedance to your claim.
    All the semantics games in the world won't erase a final college campaign in which his numbers went down significantly in every meaningful category:

Tackles: 54 ---> 45
    TFL: 23.5---> 10.5
    Sacks: 13.0---> 3.0
    FF: 3---> 1

If you're okay with all that, and still think he's "once in a generation," so be it.

I see a highly talented physical specimen who said to his teammates: "I'm just here to check off the draft eligible box on my resume. See you all later!"

All the semantics games in the world won't erase a final college campaign in which his numbers went down significantly in every meaningful category:

Tackles: 54 ---> 45
    TFL: 23.5---> 10.5
    Sacks: 13.0---> 3.0
    FF: 3---> 1

If you're okay with all that, and still think he's "once in a generation," so be it.

I see a highly talented physical specimen who said to his teammates: "I'm just here to check off the draft eligible box on my resume. See you all later!"
    I'm ok with it because I believe understand him. For inner city kids who don't have the resources others may have, his athletic abilty may change his family's fortunes for generations. So yes, in that regard, I understand.

Honestly, who am I to judge him for it?

And actually, I think it was a testiment to his character to come back a play the remainder of the season after being injured early on. He could've just shut it down at that point.

The bottom line is this for Clowney, as long as the talent is still there (and it is), his draft status will be unchanged.

But for the record, I have never said anything remotely resembling "once in a generation" to describe him.

I will only say that he's the number one prospect in this draft, and I feel supremely confident in saying that.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'm ok with it because I believe understand him. For inner city kids who don't have the resources others may have, his athletic abilty may change his family's fortunes for generations. So yes, in that regard, I understand.
    Oh, please... spare me the socio-economic BS. There are plenty of guys who came from poor backgrounds who nonetheless give it their all on the field regardless of their status as a future draft prospect.

Plus, if he was that worried about a career-ending injury, he probably wouldn't be driving his car 110 MPH.

Honestly, who am I to judge him for it?
    You and I are in no position to "judge" him (though we can certainly express opinions). However, there are several NFL teams who will, in fact, judge him.

And actually, I think it was a testiment to his character to come back a play the remainder of the season after being injured early on. He could've just shut it down at that point.
    My understanding is that his injury was pretty minor, so if he had sat out, clearly teams would view that in a negative manner.

The bottom line is this for Clowney, as long as the talent is still there (and it is), his draft status will be unchanged.
    Really? Then why wasn't Randy Moss taken in the Top 10 picks? Why did Warren Sapp drop?

The draft status of talented players are impacted by many things, including the perception of their effort level.

I will only say that he's the number one prospect in this draft, and I feel supremely confident in saying that.
    And nobody is suggesting that you're not entitled to that opinion.

The question is... do you think he's so much better than every other prospect that the Rams should take him over another "Blue Chip" prospect at a need position?

Again, you're entitled to answer "yes," but many are going to disagree with you.

Oh, please... spare me the socio-economic BS. There are plenty of guys who came from poor backgrounds who nonetheless give it their all on the field regardless of their status as a future draft prospect.

Plus, if he was that worried about a career-ending injury, he probably wouldn't be driving his car 110 MPH.

You and I are in no position to "judge" him (though we can certainly express opinions). However, there are several NFL teams who will, in fact, judge him.

My understanding is that his injury was pretty minor, so if he had sat out, clearly teams would view that in a negative manner.

Really? Then why wasn't Randy Moss taken in the Top 10 picks? Why did Warren Sapp drop?

The draft status of talented players are impacted by many things, including the perception of their effort level.

And nobody is suggesting that you're not entitled to that opinion.

The question is... do you think he's so much better than every other prospect that the Rams should take him over another "Blue Chip" prospect at a need position?

Again, you're entitled to answer "yes," but many are going to disagree with you.
    1. I would say to you that not all situations are the same, and that not all people think alike even if their circumstances are the same. So to suggest that there are plenty of players in the same boat, is irrelevant.

2. Now we're comparing speeding to a football injury? Do you know of anyone who thinks there going to get killed or injured before they speed? If people thought like that, there'd be no skiing, no sky-diving, no bunjy jumping, no hang gliding, no mountain climbing, no surfing, no NASCAR, no mudding, and no dirt-biking among a myriad of other things. So no, like every other human, I don't think that was even a thought in his mind.

3. This just in, that injury that was pretty minor, may need surgery. Minor to you maybe, but you don't stand to lose millions.

4. Jadaveon Clowney's draft status remains unchanged at this point. Even with what we think we know, he remains the number one prospect on many boards. But obviously that could change as we get closer to the draft.

5. Though I like Clowney and feel he's the best football player in this draft, it would not be logically sound for the Rams to draft Clowney unless they're prepared to move on from Chris Long or for some insane reason, don't plan to pay Robert Quinn. In either case, such a scenario is highly unlikely at this point.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I hope it is Clowney who falls, but only because he gets more in trade, and the Rams will no doubt prefer FOUR starting players they get with the extra #2s and #1 they would expect to get in this deal, where they still get their #1 guy, Matthews, to Clowney, who is not ALL positives.

At pick 13, it's unlikely a top 3 OT will still be there, and THAT is their #1 ned in this draft, because the dafety position is so weak t his year.

In Clowney, you would be getting a nonstarter, who would come in passing downs, which Hayes does now, and also Sims, BOTH showing that they are great at what they do.

Brockers is coming on as a pass rusher, and so is Langford.

Just absolutely no need for Clowney at all, and the deal Snead will get from Atlanta or TB if Clowney is there at #2 will be far too good too pass up for a guy you have no spot for as a starter in 2014.

Matthews gets almost as high a rating as Clowney, and is a safer pick as a person, and he could start for a decade here, and star the whole time. He would eliminate any need to draft a tackle high the next few years, and gives them great protection in case Long cannot stay healthy.

Clowney may be the sexy pick, a guy fans would love to watch, but sometimes the "boring" pick has a lot more to do with winning.

The Niners, Cardinals, and Seahawks have all spent way more high picks for O-linemen the last few years, and it shows in the win column.

Les Sneadand Jeff Fisher are not going to go into 2014 without an O-line group that can be counted on, now and in the future, which requires drafting a tackle and a guard in the first four picks, and the best tackles always go top 10, so getting one early is a must, to get a surefire blue chipper at least.
    HUbison likes this.
    Barry Waller

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234