a.p.quinn is offline Registered User

Harvey Unga Former BYU RB

Wonder if the Rams are gonna be one of the teams at his pro day next month. Would be a steal at RB in the supplemental draft.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Harvey Unga Former BYU RB

Quoting from Brian Stull's Twitter...

Confirmed--Rams will be one of the teams in attendance at Harvey Unga's workout day. Makes sense as a supplemental pick to help at RB.
    7 minutes ago via web
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Probably worth bidding a 4th or 5th rounder if he runs well in his workout.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Can anyone find any highlight of substance on the guy? I hear he's valued in the 5th-7th round range of picks. The Rams have the first pick in every round of course, but the Supplemental draft differs from the NFL draft in that you throw out a bid (fifth round, first pick) for a player without knowing what another team throws out.

I hear he is a downhill bruiser type of guy at 6'0 237.

I don't know much about him, though I've heard him compared to Brian Leonard in kind of that 'tweener HB/FB role. It's any man's job behind Steven Jackson though, so maybe one more body wouldn't hurt. Probably worth a sixth round supp. pick, maybe a fifth but I wouldn't press it.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

In the supplemental draft if two teams bid a 5th rounder for someone then which team does the player go to?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    In the supplemental draft if two teams bid a 5th rounder for someone then which team does the player go to?
    the team with the highest pick in the round of course. in short, if it was us and the eagles, we'd get the player because we have the top pick in every round.

USMCRamFan Guest

I'm sorry for my ignorance but what the heck is the supplemental draft? How have I been a avid Football fan my whole life and never heard or seen anything about it? Where do these players come from? Are they still in college or undrafted guys or what? When does it take place? Sorry for the milllion questions

Information on the Supplemental Draft courtesy of Wikipedia...

Since 1977, the NFL has also held a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft. Players generally enter the Supplementary Draft because they missed the filing deadline for the NFL Draft or because issues developed which affected their eligibility (such as athletic or disciplinary matters). The draft is scheduled to occur at some point after the regular draft and before the start of the next season. In 2009, the Supplemental Draft occurred on July 16. In 1984 the NFL held an additional draft for players who were under contract with either USFL or CFL teams

Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, FS Paul Oliver was taken by the San Diego Chargers in the fourth round of the Supplemental Draft in 2007; thus, in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Chargers forfeited a fourth-round pick.)

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Bernie Kosar of the University of Miami earned his academic degree a year early but did not enter the regular draft that year. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami, he entered into talks with his favorite team, the Cleveland Browns. They advised Kosar to delay his professional eligibility until after the regular draft. They then traded for the right to choose first in the Supplemental Draft. This angered many clubs, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. Many of today's Supplemental Draft rules aim at preventing a recurrence of this incident.

USMCRamFan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Information on the Supplemental Draft courtesy of Wikipedia...
    Thankyou once again Nick... I kinda feel sheepish not knowing anything about it. Well at least I got a base knowledge on it now...

shower beers is offline Registered User

His "trouble" in school should probably just be ignored at this point. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

This is not the way I would have gone about finding a backup for Jackson, and maybe that's not their intentions, but at least they're doing their homework.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Could Harvey Unga make sense for the Rams in the NFL supplemental draft?

By VanRam on Jun 17, 2010 10:01 AM

The NFL supplemental draft is the best draft you've never heard of, and one that teams rarely use to bolster their roster. Set to happen next month, there's one player that could be of interest to the St. Louis Rams. BYU RB Harvey Unga will declare for the supplemental. Could the Rams use Unga as a backup to Steven Jackson?

Unga was the all-time leading rusher at BYU before getting the boot because of an honor code violation. Besides rushing, he was always a credible pass catcher out of the backfield, nabbing 86 passes for 964 yards and 8 TDs in his first two seasons at BYU. He didn't see much action in the passing game this year with just 16 receptions, 121 yards and 1 TD. The receiving side of his game certainly fits with the profile of the backs the Rams have on their roster.

Of course, with the supplemental draft, a team surrenders a pick in the equivalent round in next year's regular draft. The Redskins used their 3rd round pick in last year's supplemental draft for Kentucky DE Jeremy Jarmon. Unga is expected to fetch a 5th round pick. But is it worth it for the Rams?

Mocking the Draft says he profiles more as a fullback in the NFL (hello, Brian Leonard). More importantly, is he a significant enough of an upgrade over what the Rams have in Chris Ogbonnaya? Or, is he enough of an upgrade over what the Rams might find available as teams make roster cuts between now and the start of the season? I think it's a stretch.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Could Harvey Unga make sense for the Rams in the NFL supplemental draft?

By VanRam on Jun 17, 2010 10:01 AM

The NFL supplemental draft is the best draft you've never heard of, and one that teams rarely use to bolster their roster. Set to happen next month, there's one player that could be of interest to the St. Louis Rams. BYU RB Harvey Unga will declare for the supplemental. Could the Rams use Unga as a backup to Steven Jackson?

Unga was the all-time leading rusher at BYU before getting the boot because of an honor code violation. Besides rushing, he was always a credible pass catcher out of the backfield, nabbing 86 passes for 964 yards and 8 TDs in his first two seasons at BYU. He didn't see much action in the passing game this year with just 16 receptions, 121 yards and 1 TD. The receiving side of his game certainly fits with the profile of the backs the Rams have on their roster.

Of course, with the supplemental draft, a team surrenders a pick in the equivalent round in next year's regular draft. The Redskins used their 3rd round pick in last year's supplemental draft for Kentucky DE Jeremy Jarmon. Unga is expected to fetch a 5th round pick. But is it worth it for the Rams?

Mocking the Draft says he profiles more as a fullback in the NFL (hello, Brian Leonard). More importantly, is he a significant enough of an upgrade over what the Rams have in Chris Ogbonnaya? Or, is he enough of an upgrade over what the Rams might find available as teams make roster cuts between now and the start of the season? I think it's a stretch.
    If I were the Rams front office I would take a pass. Yes we need a backup running back but Unga is not much better if better at all than what we already have. I would save the draft pick and just develope the guys we already have. Maybe get a good backup in next years draft if the need still exists.

Heres a video of some of his highlights.

YouTube - Harvey Unga's Career
    Last edited by rammiser; -06-23-2010 at 07:53 PM.
    Just Fix It

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Well I'm guessing there are quite a few teams interested in him. I just seen them talk about unga on nfl network and they think he is gonna go for a 3rd or 4th pick in next years draft. Id rather not give up anything for this guy. We need a scat back to complement sj39 not a another bruiser.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Well I'm guessing there are quite a few teams interested in him. I just seen them talk about unga on nfl network and they think he is gonna go for a 3rd or 4th pick in next years draft. Id rather not give up anything for this guy. We need a scat back to complement sj39 not a another bruiser.
    Well at this point, we really just need anyone to take the pressure off him every once in a while. We need someone that can produce on their own, be it between the tackles or out in the open field, I'll take anything.