MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Harvey Unga's Pro '

BYU football: Harvey Unga works out for pro scouts before NFL supplemental draft

By Dick Harmon

PROVO Harvey Unga, BYU's all-time leading rusher, will absolutely be drafted in next week's NFL supplemental draft, according to his agent, Eric Metz, who made the prediction to reporters at Unga's pro day workout Thursday on campus.

Unga ran a 4.63 handheld 40-yard dash on artificial turf before 20 NFL scouts. He lifted 225 pounds 19 times, had a standing vertical jump of 35 inches and a 9-foot-6 inch standing broad jump. His vertical and broad jump were personal bests, according to his personal trainer, Dave Stroshine. His 19 reps equaled a personal best.

"He has met with several NFL general managers. There were 20 NFL teams represented here in person today and six more called and inquired details," said Metz. "I think he will be drafted next week. It's not a matter of when, but which team and how good of a fit he'll be in their system."

Unga weighed in at 244 pounds before undergoing a series of drills before the scouts.

"I just wanted to come out and do my best and let the chips fall where they may," said Unga, who withdrew from BYU this past spring for violating the school's honor code. BYU officials since denied him the opportunity to play his senior season for the Cougars because of the infraction.
    Story continues below

"I harbor no ill feelings, said Unga, speaking for the first time publicly about his dismissal from school. "I take responsibility for my actions and I made a mistake. I must pay for those mistakes and I still consider myself a Cougar and wish only the best for the guys, the team and coaches but I will miss being with them." said Unga.

In a press release issued by BYU last spring, Unga and basketball player Keiliani Moeaki announced their withdrawals from school to work on personal issues and because of an infraction of the honor code.

While Unga told reporters he would "plead the fifth" when asked to detail his infraction, he later admitted he flew to Chicago last week for the birth of his son, Jackson, and he and Moeaki could be married as early as next week.

Unga did not drop a pass during his drills, administrated by NFL personnel. Former Cougar quarterback Charlie Peterson threw the passes.

"I worked with Harvey for two hours this week and he never dropped a pass," Peterson said. "He is smooth, very smooth and he's got great hands."

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Re: Harvey Unga's Pro '

Unga ran a 4.63 handheld 40-yard dash on artificial turf before 20 NFL scouts. He lifted 225 pounds 19 times, had a standing vertical jump of 35 inches and a 9-foot-6 inch standing broad jump. His vertical and broad jump were personal bests, according to his personal trainer, Dave Stroshine. His 19 reps equaled a personal best.

These are pretty good stats.

I'm 6'3" 215 lbs and bench the 225 5 times. If I get out of my army contract, think I could play?

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Harvey Unga's Pro '

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post

These are pretty good stats.

I'm 6'3" 215 lbs and bench the 225 5 times. If I get out of my army contract, think I could play?
    Well depends, do u have really good life insurance? They did a video of a average guy getting hit by a d lineman from carolina I think and he went up literally 8 ft off the ground lol. So if u have a good tolerance for pain then go for it.

Anyways about unga, I really don't think we need him he is a sj39 type runner we need a scat to fast to tackle back.

iinfotech10 is offline Registered User

Re: Harvey Unga's Pro 'College career

After the season-opener against the Arizona Wildcats in 2007, Unga earned the Mountain West Conference (MWC) offensive player of the week award. He had gained 194 all-purpose yards, with 127 yards coming from receptions. Unga became the starting running back in 2007 due to an injury to Fui Vakapuna in the prior season. As a starter, Harvey rushed for over 1000 yards in just 11 games, with this mark reached in the second quarter against their in-state rivals, Utah, on November 24, 2007. He was named the MWC Freshman of the Year.[1][2] He had the second-most yards gained by a freshman in MWC history, and third among all freshman running backs in the nation in 2007.[3]
    In 2009, Unga rushed for 1,087 yards and 11 touchdowns, and became the school's all-time leading rusher with 3,455 yards. He earned first-team All-MWC honors following the season.[4]
    On April 16, 2010, Unga voluntarily withdrew from BYU after violating BYU's honor code, as he had sexual relations with his former fiancee and BYU women's basketball player, Keilani Moeaki, whom he was dating. At the time of their withdrawal, Keilani was 6 months pregnant and wouldn't have been able to hide their indescretion much longer. Their only choices were to either make an attempt to appear honorable by voluntarily withdrawing, or face expulsion when the news of Keilani's pregnancy inevitably would have been publicized.