RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Has anyone else noticed this...?

Could this have been the Rams draft strategy?

After reviewing the Rams draft I noticed a pattern emerging: namely that the picks went in a sequential order of defense, offense, defense....all the way from Carriker to Stanley. Granted this might just be a coincidence or fluke; but it certainly helps to explain the pick of B. Leonard in the 2nd rd. In other words, if the Rams went into this draft with the preconceived plan of going defense, then offense... then Leonard in the 2nd most likely was the best OFFENSIVE player on the board at that point; even though he probably wasn't the highest rated player overall if you factor in who was still available defensively. And, they even continued this pattern in the 5th rd where the Rams had two picks , but still held to the same pattern . Hmmm... interesting eh? What do ya'll think?

WHAT SAY YE?

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Re: Has anyone else noticed this...?

If that was the strategy, it obviously is not a good one. I believe you should draft according to team needs, and availability of the best players on the board.

For example, if your biggest need is a LB, and there's a LB with just as much or even slightly less talent as the best offensive player on the board, you don't take the offensive player just because you took a defensive player with your previous pick.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If that was the strategy, it obviously is not a good one. I believe you should draft according to team needs, and availability of the best players on the board.

For example, if your biggest need is a LB, and there's a LB with just as much or even slightly less talent as the best offensive player on the board, you don't take the offensive player just because you took a defensive player with your previous pick.
    I absolutely agree, Fortuninerhater, and I also hope that it is not the case; but it sure looks like it at this point. Also, notice in the 7th rd the Rams had back-to-back picks and still did not deviate from the pattern. I don't recall any other draft where this formula was this transparent.

WHAT SAY YE?

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I don't think that this was the case at all I think you might be thinking to hard about this one. IMO the picks probably came down to Softil and Georgia playing rock, paper, and scissors since she was probably bored with all the startegery going on.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Go back and look at last year's draft and you'll see a similar thing. Getting the extra pick for Wrotten kind of throws the pattern off, but there seems to be a rotation there as well.

I really hope that's not a planned strategy.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it's just coincidence. Anything is possible though.

Let's not forget some guy named Marshall Faulk retired. Brian Leonard kind of makes sense. Not that he will or can fill Marshall shoes but there was certainly a gaping hole to address.
    Last edited by laram0; -05-05-2007 at 08:04 AM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

They may alternate to try to keep it fair. It is simple plan, but it is short sighted when we have a lot more talent on one side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rambos is offline Registered User

If that was the plan, it should be 2 defensive players to every Offensive player. IMO

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I doubt it, there's a thing called getting steals, and that can be either for a defensive or offensive player. I think every team has a plan of some sorts, but no mock draft can be perfect for all 7 rounds, not even round 1. So, to tell me that they'd draft defense in round one, and in round 2 there are no offensive players they're interested in, you're telling me they'd draft offense anyway simply because that was their plan? Doesn't make sense, and like I said, no one can predetermine what other teams will do. If we didn't do the trade for Hall, we could be talking about Charles Johnson being on the team and not Leonard...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

We could have still picked up Brian Leonard in the second and nabbed Charles Johnson in the third, had we not swapped picks with Kansas City.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    We could have still picked up Brian Leonard in the second and nabbed Charles Johnson in the third, had we not swapped picks with Kansas City.

At the time of the trade I didn't think that the two spot drop was a big deal, but boy that turned out to be a biggy. Wade is the one pick that I'm not too keen on this year. I prefer football players to athletes who may become good after lots of work.
    I think if we had got Johnson instead of Wade then our draft would have been an "A".

Drew is offline Registered User

looking ahead next year i can see...

Round 1 DE
    Round 2 WR
    Round 3 SS
    Round 4 OT
    Round 5 LB
    Round 6 OG
    Round 7 DT

then the conspiracy theory will really build momentum!

Drew is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    At the time of the trade I didn't think that the two spot drop was a big deal, but boy that turned out to be a biggy. Wade is the one pick that I'm not too keen on this year. I prefer football players to athletes who may become good after lots of work.
    I think if we had got Johnson instead of Wade then our draft would have been an "A".
    im with you there..if we had got Charles Johnson in the 3rd we would have all been buzzing about getting Leonard in the second and Johnson in the third!

as it is... it seems like its gonna taste a lil bitter till 2 or 3 years down the line!