View Poll Results: How do you feel about the chance of a trade down?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • More certain

3 10.00%
  • Less certain

14 46.67%
  • The same

13 43.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Has your expectation regarding a trade-down changed?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Has your expectation regarding a trade-down changed?

Since the start of draft season, do you feel more certain, less certain, or the same regarding the likelihood that the Rams will trade down from the No. 2 selection?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Has your expectation regarding a trade-down changed?

I am feeling decidedly less certain.

Why?

1. A "Big 5" group of prospects (Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Matthews, Robinson) has emerged and seems to have separated from the pack.

2. It seems like the stock of the QB class has gone down, which impacts how far the Rams could trade down and still acquire one of the Big 5.

3. There may actually be a better market for a trade down at the No. 13 spot if the Rams feel that they need more picks.
    DE_Ramfan and Randart like this.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

No real basis but the gut tells me that the trade will take place for the number 2 spot.

Originally I thought that it would be because Clowney and one of the QBs left would make people salivate to move up. Well probably not the case on either front with Houston likely to take Clowney and the QBs getting the tilted head, scrunched mouth shoulder shrug from other GMs.

Since there are 5 elites that would mean that the trade might come from teh 6-8 spots with the hope that one of the five is still there. Moving to that position hopefully will garner a more steep price then it would if it was from 3-5.

Could be wrong but I can see it getting done. I think with one more number 2 we can do all kind of combinations. Just one more 2nd rounder, from 3-8 and it is set!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I agree with more certain, but only think that we will do this if we go no lower than #6. Because this will allow us to get one from the big pack as you described. Assuming one of the QB goes, which looks likely.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Less certain, but confident that we will eventually.

I voted less certain because at the beginning of the offseason I was sure that one of the top 3 QBs would make themselves a clear choice for the Texans at number one.

Unfortunately for us, that has not come to fruition.

Therefore our biggest trading chip (Clowney) appears to be going number one, at this stage.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Less certain. I think the offers we will get vs the value of one of the top five picks will probably not add up.

Main reason is that the QB picture gets more and more confusing every day.

Biggest impact on if there will be a trade or not is if Houston take a QB with the 1 or not.... And maybe how much the Bucs and other teams with WR need want to pay to get Watkins (problem here is that Ewans seems to be close to Watkins in rating).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Less certain. And for many of the reasons listed elsewhere:

1. No QB has emerged. The "fab 5" could go #1-#5. That leaves our assumed trade partner's spot (#6) on the outside looking in. If we're correct about the exclusivity of the "fab 5", then that would potentially drive up the asking price beyond what Atlanta would be willing to pay.

2. I've heard at least one story for each of the fab 5 prospects saying the Rams have "fallen in love with" a certain prospect. If one of those is true, then the Rams may find more value in selecting at the #2 rather than trading it off.

3. The Falcons (or Vikings or Lions) might not be as willing to trade up as we might think. We assume the Falcons want Clowney, but they may be like Hoge or Mayock and like Mack more. So why trade up if there's a possibility they can sit still and get who they want? Also, they could use an OT almost as much or more than a DE, so why not just sit still and look for Matthews or Robinson (or Lewan, for that matter).
    Randart likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Randart is offline Registered User

I also went with less certain, in the beginning of the process seemed like a shoe in that the Rams would trade out... Now it is the Fortnite of confussion and they got me bedazzled! LOL
    I have no idea what the Rams will do at this point, one thing for sure I expect them to make some trades as in more than one. As to when they pull them off I am completely clueless... But I feel 12 pics is too many for any draft even this one that is so highly touted.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Less certain. And for many of the reasons listed elsewhere:

3. The Falcons (or Vikings or Lions) might not be as willing to trade up as we might think. We assume the Falcons want Clowney, but they may be like Hoge or Mayock and like Mack more. So why trade up if there's a possibility they can sit still and get who they want?
    I wonder if that is the reason the story of the Rams falling in love with Mack came from. The Rams could take Mack or the OTs. If Atlanta wants one of them that bad they may very well be willing to move up to be sure to get one of those players.

Snead on the podcast with Rich Eisen talked about nothing being set, due to waiting for what Houston will do but already talking with other teams and having a gentlemen's agreement not to change the stakes if both the players they want are on the board. Gentlemen's agreement has a big deep south sound to it, and given his past associations with Atlanta I would not be surprised they have something set up just dependent oh who Houston takes, Clowney, QB, or Mack.
    HUbison likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I went more...

Clowney has clearly moved past the work ethic question to be the first player picked. That leave us in position to trade with any team wanting a specific QB. What I'm not buying is the narrative that the teams with high draft picks will somehow wait until the second round our later in the draft to take one. No GM including ours is going to let it be known how they feel about prospect so why does everyone buy into this line that teams are not liking any of the QBs. We all know its the one position you have to have and its the one every team will reach for. If you are going to reach at least get the one you want the most.

What has change is what we will get in return. I really think Clowney goes one so I expect a lot less then I once hoped for.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I went more...

Clowney has clearly moved past the work ethic question to be the first player picked. That leave us in position to trade with any team wanting a specific QB. What I'm not buying is the narrative that the teams with high draft picks will somehow wait until the second round our later in the draft to take one. No GM including ours is going to let it be known how they feel about prospect so why does everyone buy into this line that teams are not liking any of the QBs. We all know its the one position you have to have and its the one every team will reach for. If you are going to reach at least get the one you want the most.

What has change is what we will get in return. I really think Clowney goes one so I expect a lot less then I once hoped for.
    But to play devil's advocate, Rambos, wouldn't that same line of thinking (teams needing a QB must get their QB now and not wait for later rounds) have the Texans drafting a QB #1?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Same as before, a deal with Atlanta for far less than the RG3 deal got. If Atlanta goes to #1 for Clowney, a deal down still my guess.
    Barry Waller

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Less Certain:

I'm actually hoping we don't trade the 2nd pick and land 1 of the 5 top prospects.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

The same.

I was always of the opinion that unless the Rams get an offer that knocks their socks off, they should stay put. Don't trade down for the sake of trading down and potentially lose out on the player you had with the highest grade at #2.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But to play devil's advocate, Rambos, wouldn't that same line of thinking (teams needing a QB must get their QB now and not wait for later rounds) have the Texans drafting a QB #1?
    Yeah I can see what you are saying. The only factor for them over the other teams is Clowney. He clearly has become the favorite to go one from what I been reading, he's a far better prospect at one then the group of QBs. If the Texans pass on him I think it will be because they traded back and valued more picks and the chance to still draft one of the top QBs at six.
    HUbison likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast