Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Henry Melton visiting with Rams today.

Unspoken is offline Registered User

Henry Melton visiting with Rams today.

Would not mind him part of our front 4.
    ManofGod likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Henry Melton visiting with Rams today.

I would be thrilled if we could land him at a reasonable price. The skeptic in me wonders why he's visited all these teams already with no commitments. I've seen a report that his knee checked out fine, so I then must wonder if he's asking for too much money.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, but I'm glad he's coming in for a visit at least.
    ManofGod and sosa39rams like this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind having him either. 27 years old, we have that cap room! But like above, for a reasonable price, skip if we have to overpay.

Btw funny story that came out about Melton:

Henry Melton being sued for biting bar owner in kidney

Texas-native Henry Melton is continuing his visit with Cowboys officials, a process which generally includes dinner with team officials.
    But it was a previous quick bite outside Dallas that has Melton in the middle of another bit of business that could deal with large sums of money.
    According to WFAA, Melton is being sued for “a sum greater than $1 million,” for biting a bar owner in the back while in the process of being thrown out of the bar.
    Melton was arrested for public intoxication and assault on Dec. 23, 2013, for an incident that included charges that he bit bar owner Donald Payne, who owns the sports bar Chill in nearby Grapevine, where Melton lives.
    Surveillance video shows a person being asked to leave, which led to a fight. The lawyer representing the bar owner said it escalated quickly.
    “When he was asked to leave, his belligerence and unruliness turned into violence,” said attorney Darren Wolf. ”It took four men to do this because he’s a big guy. And in the process, my client — Mr. Payne — received a really really horrific bite from Mr. Melton. He bit him in the side, near the kidney, through the skin.
    “There’s some psychological injury there. The thought of another human being you don’t know biting through your skin, piercing your skin… it’s a pretty frightening experience. And it’s dangerous.”
    According to Wolf, Payne was treated and released at an area hospital.
    Melton’s agent, Jordan Woy, issued a statement refuting the claims.
    “We have recently reviewed the lawsuit and do not believe the validity of the allegations made,” Woy said. “We look forward to providing the true facts in court and will defend this matter vigorously. We will seek to hold The Chill and others accountable for any and all damages Henry has suffered at the hands of multiple men who attacked him.”
    At this point, we’d normally make a crack about a lawyer named Wolf representing a man named Payne being bitten by an NFL defensive lineman.
    But sometimes these jokes just write themselves.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm not sure he's much of an upgrade over Langford. Maybe a little.

But I figured he would surely have signed with his hometown Cowboys? Is the knee not coming along right? Just not sure about that kidney bitin' son of a gun.
    Bar-bq likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Again rotational player that provides depth? Wouldn't be bad to bring in him and Alex Carrington. We would have depth comparable to seahawks last season om that front.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Henry Melton - DL - Bears

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports free agent DT Henry Melton is visiting the Rams on Tuesday.
    Melton is easily the top free agent left on the market. He's already had visits with the Vikings, Seahawks, and Cowboys and also remains in contact with the Bears. Bryan Broaddus of the Cowboys' official website reports Melton's surgically-repaired knee checked out well. In St. Louis, Melton would likely slide in as the starter next to Michael Brockers, pushing Kendall Langford to No. 3 duties.
    Related: Rams
    Source: Clarence Hill on Twitter

This could be a very good get. He was a pro bowler in 2012 and can create a better push up the middle. I could see the Rams make a change here. Kendall Langford cost six million against the cap and seven next year. Why not give Melton a nice deal and part ways with Langford? I bet we could get Melton and he would be cheaper against the cap then Langford over the next two years.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

This sounds more like negotiation leverage than real interest. I cannot see the Rams pass on guys like Verner or Byrd to sign a DT when it's the most effective unit on the team. Plus, I don't get the dislike for Langford. I agree his contract is high for our cap, but that's why it's good to avoid free agents if you can. You generally overpay. Langford had some very respectable stats this past season and he was a more disruptive force than Brockers, but that's his role. Brockers is more of a run stopper.

Go Rams!

FestusRam is online now Registered User

A defensive line rotation of Brockers, Langford, Melton, and Cudjo would be nice.

Don't forget that defensive lineman need to rotate more than any other position on the field. Being able to bring in a fresh body who is just as good the starter is huge. Imagine how dominant our line could potentially.

Not to mention, Melton can get after the QB. 13 combined sacks in 2011 and 2012.

I'd definitely be interested in him if the price was right.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -03-18-2014 at 05:59 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    A defensive line rotation of Brockers, Langford, Melton, and Cudjo would be nice.

Don't forget that defensive lineman need to rotate more than any other position on the field. Being able to bring in a fresh body who is just as good the starter is huge. Imagine how dominant our line could potentially.

Not to mention, Melton can get after the QB. 13 combined sacks in 2011, 2012.

I'd definitely be interested in him if the price was right.
    Very true, I agree we need rotational players, but we also have Matt Conrath at DT and Hayes can slide inside as well. I would be surprised to see us spend what Melton would command, that's really my point.

Go Rams!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Wow! I would be so down with signing Melton. Just a year ago he was a top 10 DT in the league. He is an unbelievable 3 tech and pass rusher. He is most definitely an upgrade on Kendall Langford. Melton would only make this front 4 scarier. If we added him I wouldn't be surprised to see 65 sacks next year.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Very true, I agree we need rotational players, but we also have Matt Conrath at DT and Hayes can slide inside as well. I would be surprised to see us spend what Melton would command, that's really my point.

Go Rams!
    Who knows what his asking price is coming off a torn ACL. I'm sure the Rams are having him visit to find that out, as well as checking on his overall health. I'm confident this regime won't overpay for his services. I'm not sold on Matt Conrath, and a sudden injury can always create a huge void to a unit that was once considered a strength. Considering how much a dominant defensive line can impact a game, I'd imagine the Rams are always interested to add solid depth there.

Imagine a passing down defensive line consisting of Quinn, Hayes, Melton, and Long. Sounds enticing.

Not to mention, we have decent cap space and Melton is easily one of the best FA available, if not the best. I'd rather see the Rams add solid FAs, if the price is right, rather than overpay for average ones at a position of need. It seems like the latter is going on a lot in this particular free agency, and I'm glad the Rams haven't been a part of it.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -03-18-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    Rambos likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Rams have some of the worst back-up DT's in the league, especially against the pass. As a matter of fact our starting DT's can't even put consistent pressure on the QB, which is the reason why they bring in Hayes to play DT on passing downs. Melton, when healthy, is one of the better pass-rushing DT's in the game and if we can get him at a reasonable price I don't see why the Rams wouldn't sign him. I'd still prefer drafting Aaron Donald, but either way the Rams need someone who can collapse the QB's pocket from the inside.

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

Signed with Cowboys.... per NFL.com

Henry Melton decides to join Dallas Cowboys - NFL.com

Henry Melton - DL - Cowboys

Cowboys agreed to terms with DT Henry Melton, formerly of the Bears.
    According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, it's a multi-year pact. It's a deal both sides have wanted to get done since the start of free agency, but Melton still made the rounds on the open market, visiting Seattle and St. Louis in addition to the Cowboys. The Vikings were also interested. Melton will be reuniting with DC Rod Marinelli, the man who moved him from end to tackle in Chicago. Melton is recovering from a torn ACL, but will provide a badly needed disruptive presence along the Cowboys' patchwork line as long as he's healthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast