Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eauclare is offline Registered User

Here is a crazy thought

Lets assume the Dolphins go with Jake Long. Yes, I know what happens when you assume.

The Rams draft C Long. Would they look at a guy like Lawrence Jackson in round 2?

I know what your thinking. You just drafted 2 DE's. I have heard that Long can play both the 3-4 and 4-3, but struggles a little when lined up over bigger OT's. Jackson is more of a typical hand on the ground DE.

I think this is an interesting possibility, because you can now move Long to the SAM spot. He would hold up very well versus the run and could play in space. You could also scheme with him more which IMO would create huge matchup problems. Then, there is no need for Groves in early round 2.

Well, let me have it. I'm not advocating this, but rather stating it is a intriguing possibility.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Here is a crazy thought

Interesting, yes. Plausible, much less so. As much as I would like two new DE's, the fact is that we still have Little and Hall, in addition to now Chris Long in this scenario. We're set for another year(barring injuries) at least. So, who do we go after? Someone on the offense unless a back seven guy drops to us with so much value we can't say no. Examples of such are Talib and his pot smoking ways, Keith Rivers, and Kenny Phillips.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't think we'd take to DE's in the first two rounds. It'd be nice yes, but we have many other needs than just DE.

I think we should look at a WR in #2 or an OT in #2.

eauclare is offline Registered User

What I'm saying is have Long play SAM linebacker. A lot of people feel he would be better of the edge and playing in space.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm actually not opposed to taking two defensive ends, but I don't think we should spend our first two picks on them. I definitely, DEFINITELY do not think we should play Chris Long as a 4-3 linebacker. He was one of the most productive defensive ends in Division I football last season and IMO is a perfect fit at 4-3 defensive end. I haven't heard that about him struggling against larger tackles. Rather what I've heard is that he's quite a bit stronger than his dad was and has a devastating club move.

Rambos is offline Registered User

The Rams draft C Long. Would they look at a guy like Lawrence Jackson in round 2?
    I think we go WR in round two, if we get C. Long.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think we go WR in round two, if we get C. Long.
    Yes, I hope so.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Crazy thought but legit possiblities (SAM). I agree with the other views / posts however, that going for an OT or a WR in the 2nd round will probably be more feasible and practical; even more conservative if you will.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I know what you mean, signing the two, but I dont think we put Long at LB. Doesn't look appealing at all.

The Special One is offline Registered User

Even if we're able to get C. Long, in the long run we're gonna need another DE. After all, Little and Hall aren't getting any younger.

That said, it's not worth it IMO to pick 2 DE's with our 1st two picks. We have other positions that need addressing.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

[quote=eauclare;223887]Lets assume the Dolphins go with Jake Long. Yes, I know what happens when you assume.

This is why I'm not upset if we have to pick Jake Long in round 1 because we'll have a shot at Lawrence Jackson with our 2nd round pick.

Go Rams!:r

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eauclare View Post
    What I'm saying is have Long play SAM linebacker. A lot of people feel he would be better of the edge and playing in space.
    I'm not saying it's crazy or anything, but moving Long to a 4-3 SAM really kind of limits his abilities. I'm sure he'd do fine covering up TEs and blitzing from the strongside. As well, he would be a greater run stopper from there. However, he would not have the access to the backfield that he would from the edge, be it 4-3 End or 3-4 OLB.

It'd be kind of like drafting Mendenhall or Stewart to be used as a FB, sort of.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

LeBulger, yes, we very much will need another DE in the next few years, but you can say that about a good number of positions as well. The point is, with Long and Little starting, we have Hall and Victor A. in backup roles. For 2008, we're set other than late round/free agent fliers who probably won't make the team. We can look next year and the year after for Little's replacement.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

As the unofficial official Secretary of ClanRam Defense I'm all for it however, this is the Rams. They are just as desperate if not more at WR.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

dont think its wise to pick pobably the most complete player of the entire draft and then move him to a different position when we need him to do what hes been doing in college.

also in round 2 we need to be either picking an OT..with the high number of good prospects in the draft we may just end up getting one with 1st round value..or WR.
    if kenny phillips would fall to us take him!
    failing all them...look at olb or Cb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast