Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Here it is how we could win the west in 08.

Trade our first round pick for 85 Chad Johnson. Trade our second round pick for dancing with the stars DE Jason Taylor. Jason had 11 sacks last year. Playing opposite of Little he would get 13 easy and we would have a solid pass rush. Chad had 1440 yards and 8 TD, playing opposite of Holt, Chad would be the number one WR and give us a deep threat. Chad, Holt and Bennett.

Now that being said Iím not a big Chad Johnson fan, but he could do for us what Moss did for the Patís.

Draft more O line and LB help in rounds 3 and 4.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Here it is how we could win the west in 08.

Didn't the Bengals already say they're not getting rid of Johnson?

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Very intriguing. However I think Taylor is also staying in Miami as the Bengals aren't interested in moving Johnson either. But even if we could make these moves, Taylor and Little would be good for maybe 1-2 years. Then what? I really think for the long (no pun intended) haul we need to draft a young stud at DE (Chris Long) who will give us years of service and when Little is ready to hang'em up, we can find another youngster to take over his position.

I do agree that a receiver of Johnson's abilities would greatly improve our passing game and provide the long ball threat we need.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I'd rather have younger guys and build through the draft instead of getting those 30 year old guys. Chad Johnson is not worth anything close to what the second pick is

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Honestly Rambos, I really don't think defensively we can win in 08 no matter how many WR's or DE's veterans we get. I don't think Taylor could play a whole season, or Little. Now, 09 could be a different story, but I wouldn't mortgage the future for a small shot at 08.

That being said, I wouldn't mind Chad Johnson.

Taylor is also staying in Miami
    They, you mean "Bill", he will trade him on draft daft for a second round pick Bill will blow it up and start over.

"Look, I'm under contract with the Dolphins," Taylor told Sirius Satellite Radio. "That's where I want to be. It's where I am, and I'm not retiring. . . . There's been no agreement. Is it possible that something happens in the future? They can decide to do whatever they want. They're in charge."
    Bengals aren't interested
    Chad was on 1st and ten and lets just say, he is not a happy camper. He wants out, Bengals are going to have to make him happy.

I'd rather have younger guys and build through the draft instead of getting those 30 year old guys.
    Chad is 29, but he has a lot more game in him. Buy the time he and Holt are done, Marc will also be done. We can still add a young WR in the next year or so.

Honestly Rambos, I really don't think defensively we can win in 08 no matter how many WR's or DE's veterans we get.
    Tx you are telling me if we get 20 sacks and solidd play from our DE's. And have two of gthe best WR in the NFL, top 5 QB, top 5 RB, we still can't beat AZ,Whinners and the fading hags

How good do you think these teams are going to be in 08?

Little
    Ryan
    AC
    Taylor

Will not put some heat on QB?

Honestly Rambos, I really don't think defensively we can win in 08 no matter how many WR's or DE's
    Ok so I have to ask we get C.Long and a stud WR in the second round. Whats our record?
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-18-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It is possible that Taylor gets 13 sacks, but he has only gotten 13 or more 4 times in the 11 seasons he has been in the league. It is also possible that Little doesn't come back from injury as well as we'd hope or that one or both of them just gets slowed down by age. Bear in mind that both players turn 34 this year. Without even addressing the long-term ramifications of trading a high second round pick for a player who might only be here for one year, I'm not even certain it would work for 2008.

Chad Johnson would be a valuable addition but not for the second overall pick in the draft. I'd guess Johnson is probably going to be at or near the top of his game for another three years or so at best. I'd rather suffer through one more bad season while building a team that can be competitive for years to come than have one good season at a cost that will haunt us for years to come.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

ocho cinco is only 29 man..he was born in 1978

It is possible that Taylor gets 13 sacks, but he has only gotten 13 or more 4 times in the 11 seasons
    In his last 8 year his low was 8.5 and hig 18.5, he avg 12.5 over his last 8 years.

It is also possible that Little doesn't come back from injury as well as we'd hope
    It is possible he comes back and has a 13 plus sack year, wilth Taylor on the other side.

high second round pick for a player who might only be here for one year
    I think we would rework his deal, for more then one and done.

I'd rather suffer through one more bad season while building a team that can be competitive for years to come than have one good season at a cost that will haunt us for years to come.
    I agree, but we are not the best drafting team. We may just keeping missing, how many DT did we spend first round picks on? Three. Only time will tell if we can build through the draft, I know we should but can we? Klop,Wroten,D Lewis,Kenndy,Bryd,Alson....

Its only two draft picks, we got Ryan in the 7th, we still have a picks.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-18-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Jason is 33 my bad.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure on our cap space or the players salaries but would we even have enough room in the cap for these moves?

I'm not sure on our cap space or the players salaries but would we even have enough room in the cap for these moves?
    When you trade for a player, you can redo the contract to make it work.

How much is that number two pick going to get? Do you have a guess?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

One, fan81 makes the point I wanted to, even if we traded for those guys, they would command more salary than we have to give.

Second, we'd have to give more than just those two picks for them I would expect.

Third, I would hate this move, as after this year or maybe 2009, our team would be decimated of youth and we would be in automatic rebuilding mode for a long time. Think Raiders since 2002, or Texans since 2002, or Atlanta now. This move forsakes our future by throwing all of our eggs into this year's basket. While anything is possible in today's NFL, we would need a lot of luck and a lot of health to win this year. I very very very much vote no.

ESPN is now reporting that Chad Johnson is now debating whether or not he wants to play in Cinci next year, FYI. Why replace a 23 year old rookie who can play the slot for a few years and then star for another eight for a 29 year old elite guy who has five years max as a star, would push Bennett back to the slot, which everyone hated last year, and would just add headaches to Bulger and Saunders with his divaness.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

no offense, but honestly, this isnt no fantasy football, it would be highly impossible for this to happen. plus it would be a stupid trade, u build teams through draft's, not trading and free agency, and we are sort of in a rebuilding mode.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    When you trade for a player, you can redo the contract to make it work.

How much is that number two pick going to get? Do you have a guess?
    Around 30million guaranteed, probably about 10 million/year average on a 6 year contract. I'm going to base it off of JaMarcus Russell's from last year. I found his on Rotoworld.com.

9/10/2007: (Russell) Signed a six-year, $61 million contract. The deal contains $32 million in guarantees (all six years' base salaries), with a one-time performance bonus of $2.8 million. Another $7 million is available through incentives. Russell will earn a $3 million bonus in 2010 if he takes 45% of the snaps in 2008 or 50% in 2009. 2008: $3.7204 million (+ $19.9 million option bonus), 2009: $4.46448 million, 2010: $5.20856 million, 2011: $5.95264 million, 2012: $6.69672 million, 2013: Free Agent

So I would bet that our pick will count about 3.7 million on the cap this year give or take.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast