Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Here is my fear with such a high draft pick.

Rumor has it.

Since SI's Don Banks reported Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell was overweight and close to 300 pounds, the Raiders have been in full denial mode. Yesterday, the NFL said his weight was south of 275 and today an unnamed Raiders front-office source was quoted saying; "Ridiculous; JaMarcus is nowhere near that. He's been here. He's been working out. He's in great shape. That's something everyone's going to see at our first minicamp."

Something smells and it's not the lunch buffet. If JaMarcus is in such great shape, why does the source need anonymity? Wouldn't you want someone to go on record to dispute the rumor? Sounds like the club wants to dispel the rumors, but also give themselves an out in case JaMarcus comes into mini-camp looking like Fat Albert

With a guarantee in the $32 million range, you just never know what will happen with theses guys. This may not be true, but he did nothing in year one except spend time getting his deal

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Here is my fear with such a high draft pick.

I definitely think that's something to consider, but I bet issues like that are the most concerning with QBs. Whoever we draft is going to most likely start from day 1 so they're not going to have a year to sit around and get fat.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, Weasel, if he had been determined to get into camp there's a strong possibility that he could have started pretty early on. The problem was that he wanted to get rich for doing nothing at the professional level and was willing to sacrifice a year of his pro career doing it. Give me a player who wants to be there and is willing to prove his worth for his second contract any day. Give me Chris Long.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Well, Weasel, if he had been determined to get into camp there's a strong possibility that he could have started pretty early on. The problem was that he wanted to get rich for doing nothing at the professional level and was willing to sacrifice a year of his pro career doing it. Give me a player who wants to be there and is willing to prove his worth for his second contract any day. Give me Chris Long.
    What makes you think Chris Long doesn't have this personality? Just curious

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    Wow. You completely changed my post I was going to say. Who knows what Personality he has...

This is kinda worrying me now...we might have to pay Chris Long quite a bit of money...

keith m. klink Guest

We could draft 1 of the 12 apostles and he's still gonna want his money . anyone is gonna want the money . HOWIE will guide him through and make sure a fair deal is done so his son can get started . he want football , eat , live and play it . he'll be the first one to camp .CHARACTER is the differance between LONG and RUSSELL .

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Klink took most of the words out of my mouth.

Look, Chris Long's personality is the mix of Howie Long, Ray Lewis, and Peyton Manning. On Monday nights during the season, Chris would go home and he would go over the tape of the last weekend's game with his dad. In the locker room during his freshman year, despite getting his butt handed to him by D'Brickashaw Ferguson in practice he would yell to his teammates about wrecking the offense and getting to the quarterback, shouting "Who's going to ride with me?!?! Who's going to ride with me?!?!" He's the one guy in this draft that will do everything he can to earn ever single cent that is spent on him.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

this could all be a moot point if the Dolphins take him before us,which would leave Gholston and Jake Long,we need Gholston but if Pace doesn't come back at 100% then Long would have been a better choice and maybe should be the choice because even if Pace is back to normal he could still only have 2-3 years left in the tank and then his replacement is set,the last time we took an offensive tackle at the top of the draft it worked out pretty well. there will be a lot of hindsight after this season if the guy we select doesn't have a big season.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think everyone is forgetting to mention that a lot of this has to do with a player's agent. Agents are going to try and wiggle in those few extra $$$ to make more money. The player is rarely the one dictating how exactly how much money he wants to receive, bonuses, incentives, etc.

This, I feel has a lot to do with it as well.

Big Horn is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    Having grown up around Charlottesville, being close to the same age, and sharing multiple mutual acquaintances, I can assure you that Chris Long is not a slacker and will bring more than a great work ethic with him to the Rams if we get the chance to draft him. One thing that I don't think we'll have to worry about is this guy holding out for money.

I know there are plenty of players in the league who look at that rookie check as their big break (see PacMan Jones) but that won't be the case with Chris. He's got too much passion for the game.

Just my 2 cents.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

For a player to go through all those two-a-days and early morning weight lifting sessions to the point where he is an NFL caliber player he has to love playing the game.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I don't know who the Rams will take, but I will say that it is much harder to find a Left Tackle than it is to find a pass rushing DE.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

With having such a high draft pick, here are a few "certainties":

1. There will be a long hold out. Don't even think whoever we draft is going to be there the first day of camp. It never happens anymore with such a high pick.

2. Immediate production. Because these guys do hold out, expecting immediate production from anyone is not very likely.

3. Appearances of infighting through the media. Both the agent and the Rams are going to use the media to state their case as to why the other side should be at fault for not getting into camp. Actually, it's the NFL Office's fault in my opinion.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    With having such a high draft pick, here are a few "certainties":

1. There will be a long hold out. Don't even think whoever we draft is going to be there the first day of camp. It never happens anymore with such a high pick.

2. Immediate production. Because these guys do hold out, expecting immediate production from anyone is not very likely.

3. Appearances of infighting through the media. Both the agent and the Rams are going to use the media to state their case as to why the other side should be at fault for not getting into camp. Actually, it's the NFL Office's fault in my opinion.
    Oh I don't know, tx. Only 3 of the past 8 #2 picks have held out (Calvin Johnson, 8 days; Ronnie Brown, 3 weeks; Leonard Davis, 8 days). So I'd say there's a better than fair chance that our #2 will get here on time.

Now where I would completely agree with you is that our pick will spend most of the summer unsigned. No #2 pick this decade was signed sooner than 1 week from camp.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I guess it just appears that way.

Man, between you and Nick.......one better have some type of reference material laying around or you'll get the figure four leg lock slapped on you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast