HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's my projection for "what the..." picks

It happens nearly every year. The Rams are on the clock, Tags steps to the podium and announces that the Rams take so-and-so....jaws drop...groans are heard all over Ram Nation. "What the... They took who? Why not that other guy? Martz is an idiot!" You know what I'm talking about... Rich Coady in the 3rd, Canidate in the 1st, Shepard in the 2nd, Pickett in the 1st, Gordon in the 3rd, Crouch in the 3rd, Curtis in the 3rd, etc. And it's not limited to us, every team has their share of "what the.." picks. So here's my best guess at our 2005 "what the.." picks. Picks that may (Pickett & Curtis) or may not (Crouch & Shepard) work out so well, but at the time seem like absolute lunacy, and yet may just be on the Rams radar come draft day.

1st round - Matt Jones QB/WR - Arkansas - Martz does love his converted QBs (Crouch, Sorenson, Hargrove, Bellisari) and this one may be too juicy to pass up. The "pick by need" group will be at Martz' door step with torches over this one, but it could solidify an already potent offense.

2nd round - Andrew Walter QB - Arizona St. - Don't get me wrong, nothing bad about Walter, he's a solid QB prospect, but will probably go early on day 2, not round 2. We all know Martz' affinity for QBs and any player from the State of Arizona, the combination may be too much of a temptation to pass on.

3rd round - Marviel Underwood S - San Diego St. - Realizing that defense has not yet been addressed, the Rams go looking for a safety, and they find Underwood. He loves to hit, great speed, good in coverage....can't tackle a sack of potatoes. Underwood (who would be available at least 2 rounds later) with all his promise, potential, and lack of tackling skills will fall into the "shoot, we can fix that" category.

I would go on with day 2, but I figure anything you get on day 2 is a crap shoot anyway.

So, there you go, my predictions for our potential reaches and luxury picks that I like to call "what the.."

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampete is offline Registered User

Re: Here's my projection for "what the..." picks

yikes...!

uh...drink a cup of peptobismo, or two, and stop eating those soggy thai spring rolls at midnights...

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    yikes...!

uh...drink a cup of peptobismo, or two, and stop eating those soggy thai spring rolls at midnights...
    care to elaborate?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    1st round - Matt Jones QB/WR - Arkansas - Martz does love his converted QBs (Crouch, Sorenson, Hargrove, Bellisari) and this one may be too juicy to pass up. The "pick by need" group will be at Martz' door step with torches over this one, but it could solidify an already potent offense.
    Could you imagine Jones in our four receiver set? What a nightmare that would be for the opposing defense. Who do you cover? :ramlogo:

care to elaborate?
    early prognosis indicate onset of delusional imagination brought on by what may be a byproduct of high alkalosis fungi....commonly found in midwest region where male sheeps have been known to graze on...

matt jones type wunderkind...a reminder of why martz has not won a SB since he took control of the draft...

walters just had shoulder operation and had a lousy senior year at arizona state...he may be had on the 2nd day...

marviel underwood may be available 2nd day also...

early prognosis indicate onset of delusional imagination brought on by what may be a byproduct of high alkalosis fungi....commonly found in midwest region where male sheeps have been known to graze on...

matt jones type wunderkind...a reminder of why martz has not won a SB since he took control of the draft...

walters just had shoulder operation and had a lousy senior year at arizona state...he may be had on the 2nd day...

marviel underwood may be available 2nd day also...
    Right, okay then...probably why I referred to them as
    potential reaches and luxury picks
    huh?

I'm sure you have a point here rampete, I'm just missing it. You're going to have to dumb it down for me.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

2nd round - Andrew Walter QB - Arizona St. - Don't get me wrong, nothing bad about Walter, he's a solid QB prospect, but will probably go early on day 2, not round 2. We all know Martz' affinity for QBs and any player from the State of Arizona, the combination may be too much of a temptation to pass on.
    Martz does love those QBs and I will have to laugh if he can't resist picking up another QB. Andrew Walter is very appealing being that he played for the State of Arizona. Can Martz resist him?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Matt Jones has great potential but can we afford to take him in the first I can see martz taking him in round 2 if he is still there

I saw on the post website that martz likes the free agent pick ups and he says IT TAKES THE PRESSURE OF THE DRAFT is this a hint fot jones round 1

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Unfortunately Jones won't be there.........

Right, okay then...probably why I referred to them as huh?

I'm sure you have a point here rampete, I'm just missing it. You're going to have to dumb it down for me.
    my bad...sorry...i didn't read all the way...all i saw was,

...seem like absolute lunacy, and yet may just be on the Rams radar come draft day.
    i hope all is forgiven... :disappoin

my bad...sorry...i didn't read all the way...all i saw was,

i hope all is forgiven... :disappoin
    Hey, no problem. I figured you thought I was advocating those picks, but as you guessed not so. I'm just saying strange things tend to happen on Draft Weekend when the Rams are on the clock.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

If we dont draft an rt in the 1st,Bulger will be in deep doodoo
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:14 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

I'm just saying strange things tend to happen on Draft Weekend when the Rams are on the clock.
    ain't that the truth...it wouldn't surprise me if the rams FO go for a CB if one of the top 3 drops...

If we dont draft an rt in the 1st,Bulger will be in deep doodoo
    if the rams DO draft a RT on draft day, bulger may REALLY be in deeper "doodoo"...it's hard for me to imagine that brown or barnes will be able to step in from day 1 and be more consistent than the players that have played there last year...i hope i'm wrong...

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

ain't that the truth...it wouldn't surprise me if the rams FO go for a CB if one of the top 3 drops...

if the rams DO draft a RT on draft day, bulger may REALLY be in deeper "doodoo"...it's hard for me to imagine that brown or barnes will be able to step in from day 1 and be more consistent than the players that have played there last year...i hope i'm wrong...
    Could be right Rampete.As I recall Bulger also got sacked from the middle,so I'm hoping he can move left or right to avoid pressure.We need that RT.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild