txramsfan is offline Registered User

Here's one for ya

We talk about busts quite a bit when it comes to the draft. To no fault (sometimes) of their own, sometimes players just don't work out. Robert Thomas a prime example. All-American in HS and College, when he gets to the Pros.....well just didn't pan out.

However, you are a first round pick that just doesn't work out. My question is this: How do you feel about cashing those paychecks?

Me, I'd do it with a smile on my face IF I gave it all I had.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Here's one for ya

TX...we know you don't like Tye Hill. He's not a bust yet. Leave the man alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    TX...we know you don't like Tye Hill. He's not a bust yet. Leave the man alone.

This has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Tye Hill. This has to do with what would you do if you signed a HUGE contract but didn't pan out.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    This has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Tye Hill. This has to do with what would you do if you signed a HUGE contract but didn't pan out.
    If I gave it everything I had, then I'd have no problem cashing the check. Just like the franchise would have no problem cutting me loose, though I have a signed contract in hand.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

In my girlfriends best voice: "ACT.....ually", I saw a deal on Ryan Leaf the other day and started to think...."how did he feel cashing all those checks?" Reminded me of something I heard from Drew Bledsoe. He called his bank the day before he signed his contract and had like $10 in his account, he signs his contract, calls the bank back and the auto teller tells him he's got something like $10 million. Said it gave him goosebumps.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If I was a first round pick who didn't pan out there is no way I'd cash my signing bonus check.

I mean... who walks around with millions of dollars in cash? That's just silly. I'd deposit it into a money market account with a reasonable interest rate, then move some of the money into an IRA invested primarily in index funds. I'd probably take a portion and donate it to some charitable organization, resulting in tax benefits. I'd also diversify my holdings by making some speculative purchases of real estate and commodities, and might even take a small percentage and toy around with some short term stock investments.

All of which I'd do without the slightest pang of guilt.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If I was a first round pick who didn't pan out there is no way I'd cash my signing bonus check.

I mean... who walks around with millions of dollars in cash? That's just silly. I'd deposit it into a money market account with a reasonable interest rate, then move some of the money into an IRA invested primarily in index funds. I'd probably take a portion and donate it to some charitable organization, resulting in tax benefits. I'd also diversify my holdings by making some speculative purchases of real estate and commodities, and might even take a small percentage and toy around with some short term stock investments.

Absolutely.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    Absolutely.
    Some would consider the hard work put in at high school and college is what gets you your 1st contract. If you believe that then the player already put in the work and once in the NFL they(the player) has to work hard to earn the next contract or be consider a bust......
    Last edited by Dominating D; -05-06-2008 at 09:41 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Some would consider the hard work put in at high school and college is what gets you your 1st contract. If you believe that then the player already put in the work and once in the NFL they(the player) has to work hard to earn the next contract or be consider a bust......
    I disagree. The efforts of high school and college may be used to evaluate the value of a player, but that contract is an agreement between the player and team for the player's future service. However, the risk that those services will not match the team's expectations are placed on the team. Therefore, IMO, if the rookie gives it his best, he should have no problem taking whatever they give him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Hard to believe you would pass up the nearly infallible economic windfall available via the purchase of wine futures ...

shower beers is offline Registered User

No one would call MC Hammer for advice? Incredible...