Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chiguy is offline Registered User

Here's Why WR Wasn't a Draft Priority

Its also why QB was never really a priority ... they're going to structure this offense around Stephen Jackson first and foremost. We've brought in two new linemen with Smith and Jones. We brought in a fullback. We let our pass protecting tackle go and our long-term WR. We brought in a serious pass blocking TE. If these changes don't all scream "We're going to be a running team," then you're not paying attention.

Along those lines, we still need to find that back up running back. Hopefully Leonard justifies his draft status this year, as well as one of the other guys we have who have been hanging around.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Here's Why WR Wasn't a Draft Priority

Agreed Chiguy. There is one other thing as well, we're picking up the Philly style of pass offense, to go along with the smash mouth run game that Spags wants. It's going to be a quick, tempo based pass game with a lot of short slants and quick cuts that get our quick receivers open and then let them do things with the ball after the catch. Philly's been successful for most of a decade with no name receivers. They didn't get to the Super Bowl until they had TO, but they actually got to it with him on the sidelines, so in a sense, they did get to the Super Bowl without a big name receiver.

There were just too many holes to fill all of them this offseason, and personally, I think you can count Laurent Robinson among our draft picks, as we swapped, not even gave away any picks to pick him up, and he was promising his rookie year. Will he be a star, or even a starter, probably not, but hey, Rod Smith wasn't even drafted, so you never know. I think we picked the best player available at a position of need throughout the draft, and I hope that we got the right guys. I'm willing to give Spags and Devaney the benefit of the doubt at this point. I can't wait for the season to start!

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Its also why QB was never really a priority ... they're going to structure this offense around Stephen Jackson first and foremost. We've brought in two new linemen with Smith and Jones. We brought in a fullback. We let our pass protecting tackle go and our long-term WR. We brought in a serious pass blocking TE. If these changes don't all scream "We're going to be a running team," then you're not paying attention.

Along those lines, we still need to find that back up running back. Hopefully Leonard justifies his draft status this year, as well as one of the other guys we have who have been hanging around.

Here's what you don't understand!!!!!
    To be a good running team you need WR's that can block!!!!!!!!!
    Hines Ward is a perfect example !!!
    Big , Physical WR's help running the ball !!!!!!!!

Not only that, just because you say your a running team doesn't mean you don't have to be balanced.

I think our OL is solid enough for our backup RB's to be servicable.

I am happy with our draft but all the teams in our division got better, especially at the WR position.

SF has no QB so we should more improvement than their team. Seattle's running game is weak up front and you can move the ball on their defense. They do have good talent though if Hasselbeck is healthy.
    Lastly, AZ is going to be great on offense and maybe alittle softer on defense. Keeping Boldin keeps them in the playoffs, BUT I don't know if Kurt the Flirt can stay healthy for another season.

general counsel is offline Registered User

While the logic is sound, its unclear whether it was not a priority or there was simply not adequate value when we were drafting at the wr spot. we had too many holes to fill in one draft. There was no way we could address all our needs. Logic tells me that the linebacker in round 2 is a lot more likely to make an impact than a third wide receiver. Maybe we would have taken iglesias in round 4 if he didnt go a few picks in front of us. There is simply no way to know that.

I certainly agree that smash mouth football is what its going to be for the rams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

TekeRam is offline Registered User

That's definitely how I feel GC. The value for Laurinaitus was amazing. We needed a Mike, and he has 4 years of top notch Mike experience. This was a 1st round prospect last year, and should have been this year as well. In round 3, I thought we could go receiver, but we went after a CB prospect that reminds me of Bartell, and he turned out alright, didn't he? The CB-S tweener who may take a year or two to develop, but then is a real good zone CB who can support the run as well. A Spags kind of guy.

As for the receiver we did take, maybe he'll turn out to be something special, but we did pick up another promising guy that should start out as the #2 or #3 guy along with our picks from last year. We'll have a very young and developing corps that if they come along, they can be good for a long time. A shame we just won't have Holt mentoring them, but now they'll get that playing time tehy need to grow, so it's not all bad.

Again, we had too many holes to fill, and we went after our run offense and building the defense. Better than trying to go after evrything at once in my mind. I just expect that Jax will have another 70+ catch season like he did in 06.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

Not only that, just because you say your a running team doesn't mean you don't have to be balanced.
    Not sure WHy you fill no one understands the concept of having good blocking WR. Blocking WR are developed usually not drafted out of college. WR do not have to big to be effective in the run game. Not sure why you assume that most of us do not understand this and how it relates to the topic I have no clue?

richtree is offline Registered User

Because the afore-mentioned theory that we are going to be a running team so we don't need WR's is just dumb.

This was a talented draft full of WR's

9 of the top 50 picks were WR. If Britt didn't go to Titans we would have had a hard decision of Britt vs. a LB.

6 went in round 1 and last year AVery was the first WR taken.

You may not see depth like this for years and hopefuly we aren't drafting in the top 10 next year.

Don't get me wrong I am happy with our draft but if there was another draft tomorrow or needs would probably be:

WR, DE, LB, QB, RB2

WR is still the one piece we need to square out before season starts.

WR's are huge part of the running game.

Hopefully , people understand that this was a special draft for WR's and LB's.

punahou is offline Registered User

how many times does S Jackson play a whole season?

For a guy that is a big and muscularly developed as he is, he spends a lot of his time hurt.

Again-- I point to the draft, and I think I am the only one who openly chastises this draft. WR or RB should have been rnd 3.

Im done with giving management, new, old, wrinkled, whatever chances.

Draft good and draft smart. The last 9? years of Ram drafts have only contributed to our demise, and passing up Maualuga and whomever ever else in rd 3 for under achieving, reach, potential prospects was mismanagement.

Darell Scott---? very much so an under achiever at Clemson. A starter that was on a team that was supposed to contend for a National CHampionship this past year, but instead had its coach walk away from the team because that team didnt have the mental tenacity to match their physical gifts.

Oh- and Clemson-- where did Tye Under the Hill come from?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post

I agree that what's really encouraging is that, whether Ogbonnaya is a serious contender or not, the rush unit as a whole has been upgraded significantly so The Rams now look more like a team that can run the ball with or without Jackson.

Obviously, he's the guy who can make that unit consistently dominant but we should be able to more accurately separate the wheat from the chaff that we already have at back-up now. I also hope that allows Leonard to emerge.

That will help The Rams more than any single WR we could have confidently taken over ,say, the desperately needed & high-value-at-that-spot Laurinaitis,imo.

After that, most of the WR talent looked like one-trick ponies to me & I like Foster's trick of being a potential returner better than an over-sized TE type like Ramses.

The name was a great fit but the skill set wasn't.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

If i was another team reading this i would just put 9 in the box for S-Jax and make the Rams beat me passing.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Because the afore-mentioned theory that we are going to be a running team so we don't need WR's is just dumb.

This was a talented draft full of WR's

9 of the top 50 picks were WR. If Britt didn't go to Titans we would have had a hard decision of Britt vs. a LB.

6 went in round 1 and last year AVery was the first WR taken.
    That's not unusual. If anything, last year was the anomaly, to the best of my knowledge it had been more than a decade since there had been no wide receivers taken in round one. To suggest this was a 'special' draft for receivers without having seen any of them play a single NFL down is entirely hyperbolic. I think that more than anything, somebody is a little sore that we didn't have the chance to draft Kenny Britt; maybe you should address that before telling the collective what else we don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    If i was another team reading this i would just put 9 in the box for S-Jax and make the Rams beat me passing.
    I fully expect this to be routine practice this season, but the way that we have built our OL this offseason and the fact that Jackson is such a special runner makes me (and I'm sure Jackson himself) excited for the challenge. I think he certainly has the ability to do it. Playing in a WCO also means we should get the best of Bulger, too. This is his accuracy in short-to-medium routes and I'll bet dollars to donuts that we'll be seeing a lot of those passes headed toward Avery, utilising his own speed and illusiveness, when opposing teams stack the box.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    That strategy didn't work when we had Dickerson & a dominant o-line but relatively weak pass attack. Made Henry Ellard's career, imo, and we were playoff contenders most years.

Moreover, I think we have better potential at the pass game skill positions now than in the ED era to push past the achievements of that team.

general counsel is offline Registered User

No one said we dont need wide receivers. What the post said was that it wasnt a priority> We have too many holes to fill all at once. A blocking receiver is less important than an offensive tackle or a middle linebacker.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

To Whom it may concern;
    Give Matt Jones a call.

Thank you, Ramfanwhowantstowinnow

chiguy is offline Registered User

Here's what you don't understand...if you're building a good running game you need good blocking WRs, but that's probably not where you *start* building the running game. Besides, I wasn't suggesting we don't need WRs...I was simply making a point as to why it wasn't a priority over other positions.

Finally, in response to another post in this thread...of course we'll still need to pass the ball. Duh. But, its going to be a controlled passing game that builds off run first. That will conceivably help Bulger get rid of the ball faster and put our WRs in a better position to succeed. The Eagles have done this for years without All Pro WRs and have been successful.

All that aside...its not clear to me why anyone thinks adding more draft picks solves our WR problems. We have four talented young guys who have shown an ability to be an NFL receiver. Our problem at WR is a lack of experience. How does adding another rookie in the third round really improve our WR corps, especially given all the other glaring needs on the team? Again I'm not saying I'd be upset if we had drafted one, but I don't see the great travesty here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast