AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's your budget; enhance the Rams!

Okay, let's see your blueprint to enhance the Rams' roster. Assume that the Rams will retain O.J. Atogwe, who is set to be an restricted free agent.

1. Blue Chip FA (1): You get to sign one "Blue Chip" free agent (i.e. one who will demand a premium price consistent with the top players at his position).

2. Mid-Level FA (1 or 2): You get to sign two "Mid-Level" free agents (i.e. FAs who, due to age or skill level, will not require top money, but may still be slightly overpaid in the market) or you can retain Brandon Chillar and select sign one "Mid-Level" free agent.

3. Fringe FAs (up to 3): If there are some fringe players who will be FAs who you believe could help the Rams in 2008, you can sign up to 3.

4. Day 1 Draft: Select 3 players representing the Rams' Rounds 1, 2 and 3 selections.

Let's see how you would perform the GM role!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Here's your budget; enhance the Rams!

My additions:

Blue Chip FA: Alan Faneca, OG, Steelers
    I think he would instantly make the OL significantly better, and would be Steven Jackson's best friend. He won't come cheap.

Mid-Level FAs: Retain Brandon Chillar/Spencer Johnson, DT, Vikings
    I'd like to see Chillar return. He is a young, steady, player who has improved each year. I'd hate to see him peak with another team. Johnson would be a nice replacement for Claude Wroten, who seems to be headed for the scrap heap, and an heir apparent to the role occupied by L'Roi Glover.

Fringe-FAs: Chaun Thompson, ILB, Browns
    I liked Thompson coming out of college. Though he has not reached his potential, he could be a good fit as a situational player, and I doubt he'd cost too much. I don't have any other fringe FAs I would target right now, though some may become available.

Day 1 Draft Choices: Round 1 - Chris Long, DE, Virginia; Round 2 - Josh Barrett, SS, Arizona State; Round 3 - Marcus Smith, WR, New Mexico
    Long is an easy choice, particularly if the Rams are able to improve the OL in FA prior to the draft. Barrett is my choice right now to replace Corey Chavous. Smith can understudy behind two HOF and provide some big play potential. Not selecting OT on day 1 presumes that Pace is expected to return. If there are doubts, OT will become a higher priority and might be the Round 2 choice.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

1. Blue Chip FA - SS Bob Sanders - will impact our Defense more than any available player

2. Mid-Level FA - OT Travelle Wharton - With Gross moving to the RT, Wharton has become a pretty solid LT for the Panthers. At 27, he is in his prime.

2. Mid-Level FA - Bring back Chillar

3. Fringe FAs
    a. Dan Kreider, FB - All FB's are fringe players, right?
    b. Devery Henderson, WR - Kind of forgotten in N'awlins, but would be a nice vertical threat here
    c. Isaac Sopoaoga, NT - Not a starter, but would fill-in the DL rotation when Haslett wanted to go with a 3-4 look

Draft -

1. Chris Long, DE, Virginia - I believe I've expressed my opinion on this one.

2. Ali Highsmith, WLB, LSU - Immediate back-up to Pisa, and if/when Pisa goes down should be able to step up at the WILL.

3. Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware - Big bodied, big armed, small school QB. Give him the clipboard for a year or two and hope we don't need until then.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Here's your budget; enhance the Rams!

Blue Chip FA: Bob Sanders, S, Colts
    Apparently Sanders has a clause in his contract that will allow him to step out of it early. The Colts recently invested $72 million in Dwight Freeney and will probably look to reason potential FAs OG Ryan Lilja OT Jake Scott to protect Peyton. Neither of them will come cheap, so hopefully Sanders will decide to test the waters of FA, and I think the Rams should bite.
    Sure, he won't be cheap but he's the kind of impact player on defense this team is lacking; one with heart, the ability to come up and play in the box and he has great leadership qualities. He is a sure tackler and has put up great numbers this year (91 tackles, 2 int, 2.5 sacks through 15 games). Oh, and did I mention he's only 26?

Mid-Level FAs: Retain Brandon Chillar, OLB, Rams/ Stacy Andrews, OT, Bengals
    Chillar, in my opinion, has earned himself a starting spot this year, and there really aren't any more attractive/viable options out there at the SLB position.
    Stacy Andrews has been a consistent starter at both T positions for Cinci. He has great size (6-7, 340+) and could be shuffled along the line. Could potentially replace Pace at LT or start at RT if Barron is moved. Provides depth to the line that doesn't really have any and is only 26 years old. Probably won't become the player his brother Shawn is, but is a step in the right direction in terms of solidifying our O-Line.

Fringe FAs:
    Don't have any in mind right now, might update later.

Day One Draft Choices
    Round 1: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    Not much explanation necessary, should develop into an elite pass-rusher, great fit along our defensive line. Can't justify a Jake Long selection if Pace returns and we sign Stacy Andrews. (6-4, 284)

Round 2: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
    Great size (6-6, 320) will provide depth and can contribute immediately to solidify OL.

Round 3: Donnie Avery, WR, Houston
    Not great size (5-11, 190) but has great speed (4.35 40 time) and could give us the deep threat we need to spread the field.

So basically I gave it my best shot and there's probably going to be some obvious errors in judgement in my part but through looking at the talent available and judging by the weaknesses our team is displaying, I think the above is a step in the right direction towards making the team a potential contender.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

1. Blue Chip: Bob Sanders, S, Colts- Its Bob Sanders he doesn't need an explanation. Colts simply dont have the cash he might stay for less money if they win the superbowl

2. Mid level: Resign Chillar he has been consistent but this year he took his play to another level. 2nd Stacy Andrews OG/OT i have been talking about him allot. This guy has started at LT and RT on the leagues best unit in giving up sacks. He has the size and previous experience to step in immediately and play LG until Pace is ready to retire

3. Fringe players: Milford Brown, Todd Streusie. Both can just provide quality depth and aren't that expensive. Cleo Lemon not alot of people will be looking at him but i think he can be a big upgrade at a backup role instead of Ferot.

3. Draft:
    Round 1: Chris Long, DE, Virginia- This guy has stuffed the rum all his career, but this year he has developed into an elite pass rusher he will be a big piece in completing our defensive line
    Round 2: Xavior Adibi, OLB, VT- We love fast Linebackers this guy is one of the fastest. He has been good forever and the leader of that great VT defense. He even stepped up and played in the middle when Vince Hall went down. Good back up for Pisa and will be awesome on special teams
    Round 3: Lavelle Hawkins, WR, Cal- Burner outplayed his counterpart DeSean Jackson who is likely to go in round one.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

1. Blue Chip FA (1)
    -SS Bob Sanders (Colts): Sanders is one of those few exceptions where an undersized guy just turns out to be an absolute stud. Corey Chavous is deteriorating at the strong safety position, and the addition of Sanders gives us an instant starter that helps shore up a decent but inconsistent secondary.

2. Mid-Level FA (1 or 2)
    -Resign SLB Brandon Chillar; sign OL Justin Smiley (*****): I was a big Smiley fan whenever he came out of college four years ago, and I think nabbing him here would be a wise move. I think he could immediately come in and compete for either of the two starting OG spots. He's been a full time starter for three years now but saw his 2007 campaign cut short because of injuries. That might be just enough to drive his price down a bit, allowing the Rams to steal a player at a position of need from a division rival.

3. Fringe FAs (up to 3)
    -FB Dan Kreider (Steelers), WR Ernest Wilford (Jaguars), DE Travis LaBoy (Titans): Kreider is likely out of the picture in Pittsburgh, and as HUb said, fullbacks are typically fringe players anyways. He's an old fashioned lead blocker who could come here and open holes for Jackson. Wilford has great size and is a very physical receiver, meaning not only can he compete for jump balls but he'll also offer good perimeter blocking in the run game. LaBoy is a good situational pass rusher who can come off the edge and get to the quarterback, 16 sacks over the last three seasons.

4. Day 1 Draft
    -Round One - Chris Long, DE, Virginia: Arguably the top defensive lineman in this class, especially after LSU's Glenn Dorsey struggled with injuries in a slightly underwhelming senior season. His size and strength make him a great fit as a strong side defensive end, the heir apparent to Leonard Little's position. Long also gets to the quarterback better than you'd expect, making him a very talented all-around defensive end.

-Round Two - Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt: Underrated blind side pass protector who could rise up on draft boards but could also find himself further down the board depending on which juniors declare at his position. Williams was named to the 2007 Coaches All-SEC First Team after allowing just one sack all season on the left side. He has experience at guard as well, which means he could grind his teeth on the inside while he gets groomed to take over for Orlando Pace at left tackle.

-Round Three - Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky: Has the size you look for in a starting NFL receiver. He may not have the elite speed to be the best down field threat on the team but he's a well rounded player who made the right decision in coming back for another year of school. Displays good hands, runs good routes, and isn't afraid of going over the middle or getting hit after the catch. Could go earlier than this, but some junior declarations as well as a potential lack of elite timed speed at the combine could cause him to be available at the top of the third.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Blue Chip FA: Bob Sanders, SS, Colts
    A bona fide leader in the secondary to add some fire to a team that needs it. Sanders is a playmaker, a sure tackler, and the best FA safety available. He may be pushing it as the best safety in the league. (He and Ed Reed can duke that one out)

Mid Level FA: (1) Brandon Chillar, SLB, St. Louis Rams
    As others have said, Chillar has earned his place this year, and I can't see a more viable option on the open market.

2: Jacob Bell, OG, Tenessee
    Gets my selection because of his versatility. Has played four of five positions along the Tenessee OL in his four year tenure. Injuries cost him starts in his rookie season which is perhaps why he slips a little, value wise. He started just one his sophmore year, at right tackle. He has found a niche in at left guard for the time being, and has spent this season paving the way for Chris Brown, Vince Young, Lendale White, Chris Henry and Co. Would be a great addition to the Rams OL, if he goes at the right price.

Fringe Free Agents: Dan Kreider, FB, Pittsburgh
    One heck of a blocking fullback with the size and speed to open up some big holes for Jackson.
    Jerome McDougle, DE, Philadelphia
    Here's an example of a player I really liked coming out of college who never cracked it big as a starter. He has much potential as a pass rusher and rotational guy, and maybe a change of scenery is just what he needs.
    Drew Carter, WR, Carolina
    Has big play potential written all over him, but has been under-utilised in Carolina. Decent size, decent speed, and a knack for big performances spells the type of player we could utilise on offense.

Draft: Round One: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    The best Defensive End prospect in the nation has had two outstanding collegiate seasons, and would be an asset both as a run stopper and a pass rusher to a developing defensive line.
    Round Two: Sam Baker, OT, USC
    Big man with a big body. May well go beforehand. I have Chris Williams going higher, too, at this stage, which is why he isn't the pick here. Blocked for John David Booty and #7 USC this season and played for their Championship teams of the Leinart/Bush era. He knows how to win, and that's what you want.
    Round Three: Lavelle Hawkins, WR, Cal
    Speedster with the ability to make BIG plays, and he's proven that this season with 69 Rec's for 865 yards and 5 TD's playing for a Golden Bears team that also has DeSean Jackson among its ranks.
    Round Four: Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
    I know this wasn't asked for, but IMO Henne is the go here. A Proven winner who has started his entire career, and has played alongside the likes of Braylon Edwards, Chris Perry and Mike Hart. Could be a great backup.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Revised with Bob Sanders Signing

1. Blue Chip: Ken Hamlin, S, Cowboys- With all the cowboys big deals and more they have to make (Chris Canty, Flozell Adams) they simply don't have the cash for Hamlin and they can improvise to fill the gap with the players they have. Pro Bowl safeties don't come cheap this guys will be our big hitter alongside O.J giving us one of the best Safety tandems in the league

2. Mid level: Resign Chillar he has been consistent but this year he took his play to another level. 2nd Stacy Andrews OG/OT i have been talking about him allot. This guy has started at LT and RT on the leagues best unit in giving up sacks. He has the size and previous experience to step in immediately and play LG until Pace is ready to retire

3. Fringe players: Milford Brown, Dan Kreider. Brown can provide quality depth and Kreider will open up big holes. Cleo Lemon not alot of people will be looking at him but i think he can be a big upgrade at a backup role instead of Ferot.

3. Draft:
    Round 1: Chris Long, DE, Virginia- This guy has stuffed the rum all his career, but this year he has developed into an elite pass rusher he will be a big piece in completing our defensive line
    Round 2: Michael Oher, OG/OT, Ole Miss- Guard tackle it doesnt matter. This guy is a beast he is the best run blocker in the draft. If he refines his pass blocking skills since he is very raw he can be our Franchise LT. If that doesn't work out he will be a beast at guard. Him along with Andrews will create a bright future on the left side.
    Round 3: Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida- Burner with similar size to Tory Holt. Not a polished WR yet, but under the tutelage of 2 future HOF i am confident he will become a perennial pro-bowler