itsguud is offline Registered User

Hold off with the draft talk

I think everyone should slow up on the draft thoughts and ideas. We have a new coach bringing in a new system and many holes to fill on our roster. It doesn't matter what you think about the draft right now cause if its a big enough need then chances are Spags will try and fill it through free agency first.

I would like to see more threads about FA... Who do you think Spags is looking at bringing in? As more players begin to get dropped teams will scury around looking for be bargains and big names. Personally with a new coach who isn't just out to make a name for himself, ie Losehan, I hope he has his eye on some guys that no one else is really looking at. I just don't know who they would be but would love to hear some ideas.

Saying this I have a feeling that we are going to pick up a couple of D guys in FA, namely a big LB and a corner or two. Any ideas of who they could be?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Hold off with the draft talk

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I think everyone should slow up on the draft thoughts and ideas. We have a new coach bringing in a new system and many holes to fill on our roster. It doesn't matter what you think about the draft right now cause if its a big enough need then chances are Spags will try and fill it through free agency first.

I would like to see more threads about FA... Who do you think Spags is looking at bringing in? As more players begin to get dropped teams will scury around looking for be bargains and big names. Personally with a new coach who isn't just out to make a name for himself, ie Losehan, I hope he has his eye on some guys that no one else is really looking at. I just don't know who they would be but would love to hear some ideas.

Saying this I have a feeling that we are going to pick up a couple of D guys in FA, namely a big LB and a corner or two. Any ideas of who they could be?
    Why should we hold up talking about the draft? At #2 overall in the 1st, we have a better idea of who will be available to us right now than we do in free agency. If we were picking at say #15 overall this would not be the case. Hard to say who's going to outbid whom when it comes to the free agent market -- particularly as we are not privy to Billy D's or Spag's current Rams' roster evaluation. Did you read Avenger's thread in this forum on Peppers? Centers Jason Brown or Matt Birk, and SS James Butler are guys in whom the Rams likely have an interest .. Since Butler played for Spags in NY, many feel he could migrate here without breaking the bank and be assured of a starting gig.Things should get hot and heavy by the end of this month ..

djdeeznutz Guest

lol there is alot of free agency threads i remember answering a few of them today. In many threads people start by mentioning FA then after they say who they think we should draft. Cuz this section is call Draft and FA not just FA

But the way i see FA go is this:

Restructure Contracts:
    Bulger
    Pace

Trade:
    Torry Holt (to titans for a 3rd round pick)

Franchise:
    OJ Atogwe

Resign:
    Ron Bartell (5 yrs)
    Victor Adeainju (2 yrs) (someone please correct the spelling)
    Ricky Manning JR. (2 yrs) (i dont think we will pick a CB in FA or Draft)

Sign Free Agents
    *Matt Birk C (2 yrs) (short term leader on the line)
    James Butler SS (4 yrs discount price cuz of spags)
    *Channing Crowder MLB (5 yrs) (huge discount teams fear knee problems)
    *Vernon Carey OT (2 yrs) (depth behind Pace and Barron)
    Elton Brown OG (1yr) (depth behind incognito)
    Shuan Cody DT (3yrs) (work with spags DL substitutions)
    RW Mcquarters CB/KR (discount from Giants use as our return guy)
    Hank Baskett WR (he is RFA of the eagles if they dont want him he could come to us he is 6-4 only if we choose not to take Crabtree)

As you FA will mostly fill in some holes in depth and 3 starting roles. All are inexpensive except Matt Birk.

* denotes players we might not sign due to bidding wars:

Enter bidding war:
    Jonathan Vilma
    Jordan Gross
    Jason Brown

These will be expensive but only Gross seem realistic with the trade of Holt
    Last edited by djdeeznutz; -02-16-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: didn include Bakett

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

When I think of free agency I think of quick fix. I'm not so sure that Spags is going to go with the quick fix approach. Unless he can get a proven very young free agent. I could be very wrong but I think the draft is the key for Spags in building that long lasting winner that he refers to.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    lol there is alot of free agency threads i remember answering a few of them today. In many threads people start by mentioning FA then after they say who they think we should draft. Cuz this section is call Draft and FA not just FA

But the way i see FA go is this:

Restructure Contracts:
    Bulger
    Pace

Trade:
    Torry Holt (to titans for a 3rd round pick)

Franchise:
    OJ Atogwe

Resign:
    Ron Bartell (5 yrs)
    Victor Adeainju (2 yrs) (someone please correct the spelling)
    Ricky Manning JR. (2 yrs) (i dont think we will pick a CB in FA or Draft)

Sign Free Agents
    *Matt Birk C (2 yrs) (short term leader on the line)
    James Butler SS (4 yrs discount price cuz of spags)
    *Channing Crowder MLB (5 yrs) (huge discount teams fear knee problems)
    *Vernon Carey OT (2 yrs) (depth behind Pace and Barron)
    Elton Brown OG (1yr) (depth behind incognito)
    Shuan Cody DT (3yrs) (work with spags DL substitutions)
    RW Mcquarters CB/KR (discount from Giants use as our return guy)
    Hank Baskett WR (he is RFA of the eagles if they dont want him he could come to us he is 6-4 only if we choose not to take Crabtree)

As you FA will mostly fill in some holes in depth and 3 starting roles. All are inexpensive except Matt Birk.

* denotes players we might not sign due to bidding wars:

Enter bidding war:
    Jonathan Vilma
    Jordan Gross
    Jason Brown

These will be expensive but only Gross seem realistic with the trade of Holt
    Beauty... this is the kind of post I've been looking for. So many mock drafts, why not some mock FA's!

Not saying laram0 that we are looking for a quick fix. Rather I am wondering which guys, big names or not people think we will target to fill holes, even if just as depth.

Thanks dj!

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I would like to see more threads about FA... Who do you think Spags is looking at bringing in? As more players begin to get dropped teams will scury around looking for be bargains and big names.
    Not sure free agency and bargains should be used in the same paragraph. Picking up some depth through free agency would be nice. Most big name and big money free agents do not work out. Focus on the draft, developing players, and picking up a few players to help with depth or who can challenge for a starting job.

Haynesworth will be another Raiders Sapp when he gets the big money. Will play well but never live up to the money

Peppers is too much of a risk for a guy who has all the talent and at times dominates but also he will disappear. Way to inconsistent for the money.

TOwens nuff said

Quit wasting money on the Bells and Bennets. Draft and develop your talent and then resign them....

Steelers have won 6 superbowls and when was the last time you heard them open up the vault for a big name free agent.

CONCENTRATE ON THE DRAFT let Jerry Jones and Danny Snyder play with the big name free agents....

G0 RAMS