Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Goldenfleece

Thread: How 3 FA's make us Super Bowl Champs

TekeRam is offline Registered User

How 3 FA's make us Super Bowl Champs

Yeah, you read that right. I think we are 3 players away from competing right now. The trick is, they have to be the right players, and it's going to be expensive...

Now, will this ever happen, no, but I wanted to share to get people's opinion.

1. Barry Coefield, DT. Possibly Mebane, as he might come cheaper, but we need one more cog on the D-line. This is crucial. We all know the names, and the why, so this isn't where I go into detail.

2. Sidney Rice, WR. This could also be any proven #1 WR player. This is where people who have followed my comments this spring are really going to think I've lost it. Bear with me for one more guy, because you'll really think I'm nuts next.

3. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB. Yeah. We're getting in the Nnamdi race, and we try to get him at a reasonable salary by promising him rings. We don't get him one, we pay him a huge bonus or something.

So, what does this do for us? Well the vision is a killer, Saints/Colts style of offense where we try to blow people out of the water offensively, and then we have a lockdown pass defense so no one can ever come back on us.

Look at our defense with those two free agents. A defensive line that is rotating 4 of Long, Quinn, Hall, Robbins and Coefield. Linebackers, they're not so important in this scheme. A secondary with top 3 corners Nnamdi, Bartell and Fletcher.

Nnamdi is on lockdown duty, down to 4 possible receivers.
    Defensive line begs for extra protection, down to 3 possible recievers.
    2 linebackers, 2 safeties and Bartell and Fletcher(6 players in all) to cover remaining 3 receivers, all double teamed.

Worst case? The offense gambles and tries to put all five into routes, we put Bartell on an island and still have 5 guys to cover 3.

So, do we win, or do we win big?
    Last edited by TekeRam; -07-25-2011 at 02:57 AM.

I believe!

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: How 3 FA's make us Super Bowl Champs

You crazy Nnamdi? lol I would Love, <3, Love if we landed those 3! I just can't see us landing or even being in the race for Nnamdi

p.s. I hate throwing against him in Madden.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Enough of the Madden talk. If we somehow pulled this off, then yes we would be serious competitors.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I agree with Sosa, this isn't Madden lol.

richtree is offline Registered User

Talk is around here that OSI will be cut and the Giants are gonna lose Bradshaw or Jacobs....

I think we may get OSI and watch for the Rams to sign a bigger name Running Back

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The question is who we have to cut to clear that kind of cap space. I've read in different places that we're between $12 and $15 million under the cap. Asomugha is likely to command a salary of about $15M/yr. Rice probably costs $8-10M/yr. Cofield might be had for say $6-7M/yr. Don't forget, we still have to sign Quinn and the rest of the draft class, too.

So, yeah, we could sign all three big time free agents...as long as we cut current personnel costs by about 15% first.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

We'll look like potential Super Bowl Champs on paper but then again, look at the Redskins who sign these big name free agents and look like champions in July than absolute garbage in January. It would take some time to get these guys to establish adequate chemistry for our team. All-in-all, I'd rather establish serviceable guys from the depth chart while finding quality starters at the 2nd-3rd tier area who fit perfectly into the system we run, that's how good teams are built and even though the GSOT happened because of FA signings, that season was pure magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    The question is who we have to cut to clear that kind of cap space. I've read in different places that we're between $12 and $15 million under the cap. Asomugha is likely to command a salary of about $15M/yr. Rice probably costs $8-10M/yr. Cofield might be had for say $6-7M/yr. Don't forget, we still have to sign Quinn and the rest of the draft class, too.

So, yeah, we could sign all three big time free agents...as long as we cut current personnel costs by about 15% first.
    Exactly my point. We can't pick up all 3 of em... so might as well play Madden if your wanting the rams to do this.

Heck maybe I'm wrong:
    I just heard on 101 espn that we are 31.6M under the cap. and we have to spend at least 98% of the cap.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Talk is around here that OSI will be cut and the Giants are gonna lose Bradshaw or Jacobs....

I think we may get OSI and watch for the Rams to sign a bigger name Running Back
    Jacobs might be an option, but I don't see Bradshaw signing with a team that's going to ask him play second fiddle to someone else again.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Please note that I DID say that this would never happen, and that to get Nnamdi, we'd have to make him slash his salary requirements. Yes, it is absolutely a Madden-like fantasy, but with a spread pass happy, run up the score OC, and a head coach who has a specialty in pass rushing, it makes a lot of sense to sell out for a high scoring, shut down the pass team.

With this design, those three are our free agent class because we don't need a real backup to Jax(grab a cheap undrafted 3rd down back), OG(our current ones can pass block fair enough) or even a LB.

But like I stipulated, it's not going to happen, I just wanted to see what people would think. Flip, I think you had the best response, and I tend to agree with your assessment 99.9% of the time. This idea was that 0.1% sneaking out!
    I believe!