View Poll Results: Would you be willing to trade down to 8?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, best offer is best offer

14 93.33%
  • No, it's too far down

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How about those Vikings?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

How about those Vikings?

If I'm a Vikings fan right now I think I'd be getting a little nervous. The Vikes pick at number 8 and there are aren't that many QBs to go around in this years draft. The team is talented enough to win if they had solid QB play and I'm sure the front office knows it.

3 teams in the top 4 needs QBs. Come pick number 5 all 4 first rounders could be gone (Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles and Carr).

So what are the odds they get all Snyder-y and make a play on our pick?.

And as a Rams fan would you want to move down that far if they had the best offer (guess I could put a poll in)?

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Re: How about those Vikings?

If the Vikings give up an RG3-like deal the Rams would be foolish not to take it.

At 8, there'll be tremendous value left on the board, maybe even a guy like Sammy Watkins.
    Randart likes this.

emuen is offline Registered User

I voted yes because I wouldn't give up a good trade for a OT that will hopefully play RT for his first many seasons. However, at some point (soon) the Rams will need to stop trading back for more picks and instead focus on getting elite talent at a few positions. This is the change in strategy a franchise needs to make, when they believe they are on the verge of becoming a contender. Of course this part is tricky, because then you still want to be repiling talent, to build a consistently successful franchise.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    I voted yes because I wouldn't give up a good trade for a OT that will hopefully play RT for his first many seasons.
    I don't understand this thinking. A lot of people here seem to think RTs don't actually block and they just stand there twiddling their fingers.
    Having a bad right tackle will disrupt your QB just as much as having a bad left tackle.

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I don't understand this thinking. A lot of people here seem to think RTs don't actually block and they just stand there twiddling their fingers.
    Having a bad right tackle will disrupt your QB just as much as having a bad left tackle.
    I disagree. There is a reason LT's get drafted high and paid like LT's and RT's get drafted and paid like RT's. I'm sure if you went around the league and asked QB's which one was more important, 100% would say LT. If I'm a QB I'm a lot more worried about the guy I can't see coming after me than the one I can.

QB's are out there on an island when it comes to the defender rushing from the left side. That's why they call it the blind side. You are solely relying on your LT to keep you from getting blasted because more often then not, you don't see them coming from that side. I would say that's a lot more valuable. Why do you think that LT's that have trouble pass blocking typically get moved to the right side?

Randart is offline Registered User

I am kind of amazed everyone has gone with the yes trade to 8 as I did also. Glad to see the vast majority of us are on the same page. For sure if you get an offer anything close to the Skins deal for RG the third you go for it asap that is how I view and I bet Les and company would as well. Love that Les has stated he would like to have another year of having two 1st rounders so you know he has this in mind. Also as mentioned previously think there is a great value in guys at number 8th. And we still got our 13th to play with, also you would have to believe this trade would garner a another 2nd rounder for this year as well. The possiabilities are so enticing and endlessly fun to contemplate!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2834 View Post
    I'm sure if you went around the league and asked right handed QB's which one was more important, 100% would say LT.
    agree with this. Left Tackles are on the QBs blind side if you have a right handed QB. If they don't feel comfortable that they are protected back there, they'll forever be looking down to see how exposed they've become.

Barksdale is a quality RT.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I voted yes because if a good deal is to be had then go for it. I think there is a "gotta have Jake Mathews" syndrome among many on this site. I frankly don't think JM would be the smartest selection we can make. I'm going on record, pre-title game, pre Senior Bowl pre-Combine and pre-pro day, that I think we might better served with Greg Robinson, providing he declares which I've read is simply a formality as he has cited family financial reasons for going pro.

He is physically larger than Jake Mathews and he is already schooled in run blocking. He's at least 2 years younger and plays more physical than Mathews, meaning he's probably more of a mauler. Given our current OT situation we can bring Robinson along until he's ready to step-in as a starter plus he'll have a great teacher in Boudreau. We also maintain some of the chemistry our current line has developed. As a first round player, he has the skills to play right away if injuries occur.

I don't mean to denigrate Mathews, I'm just saying Robinson may be the better selection given his skillset and our needs. Now if Robinson crashes and burns at the Combine, then we should draft Mathews if he's available. But getting back to the original question, take the deal.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -01-06-2014 at 05:21 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

So if your RT is better than your LT and you have a right handed QB....The QB needs to learn how to throw left handed?
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    agree with this. Left Tackles are on the QBs blind side if you have a right handed QB. If they don't feel comfortable that they are protected back there, they'll forever be looking down to see how exposed they've become.

Barksdale is a quality RT.
    Yes, I didn't really feel the need to specify seeing as there are currently no starting QB's in the NFL that are left handed that I am aware of.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

abunch Of NFL RT PLAYED LT in college. A bunch of NFL guards too.

Anymore, you need great pass blockers on BOTH sides, so the slow, run blocking RT you draft in round two or three really isn't the norm anymore. Maybe in 1975, but not now.

Guys like Jackie Slater changed the way RT were viewed.
    Barry Waller

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    So if your RT is better than your LT and you have a right handed QB....The QB needs to learn how to throw left handed?
    Shouldn't ever have a situation where you have your better pass blocker not on the blind side

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If the consideration were sufficient, I don't see the 8th pick as too low for the Rams to make their first selection.

shower beers is offline Registered User

While we won't get the bounty of picks we got for the RGIII pick, I can see how our pick would be pretty enticing if a team falls in love with a QB and wants to leap frog the group of teams that could snatch him up. We're open for business and we're ahead of almost every QB needy team. It might be the best way to ensure you get your guy.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Come pick number 5 all 4 first rounders could be gone (Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles and Carr).
    I don't think four QBs have gone in the first five picks in the modern era. In fact, in the last 40+ years of the draft, I believe three QBs have gone in the first five picks only twice - 1999 and 1971. I'm not that convinced it happens this year, given that these QBs are good but not outstanding prospects.

As for the question, if the compensation is significant enough, I would be fine with moving down. I'm a big Jake Matthews fan, but I'm not going to turn my nose at another great trade offer if the package is appropriate. Moving down to eight not only gets you more picks, but you're still in range of guys like Watkins, Robinson, Kouandjio, etc.

What I'm not in favor is accepting a sub-par trade package just for the sake of moving down. This class looks like it's going to have some very good offensive tackles in it, and Matthews currently ranks as the best of a great bunch. If I'm passing on him, it'd better be a good offer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast