Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 2 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: How Andrew lost his luck, or... why maybe we SHOULD consider Sammy Watkins

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How Andrew lost his luck, or... why maybe we SHOULD consider Sammy Watkins

I came accross the following stats that really jumped out at me:

Since Reggie Wayne was injured, Andrew Luck's completion percentage has gone from 60.7 to 55.2, his YPA has gone from 7.00 to 6.28, his TD/Interception ratio has gone from 10/3 to 5/5, and his passer rating has gne from 91.3 to 72.1.

While this is an extreme example, it really shows how much a No. 1 WR can impact a QB's performance.

So, maybe... just maybe... Sammy Watkins (or whichever WR you think is at the top of the list) should be considered, if available.
    THOLTFAN81 and sosa39rams like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: How Andrew lost his luck, or... why maybe we SHOULD consider Sammy Watkins

I saw the same stat and realized that we are still not where we need to be with a WR. We have several up-and-coming WR's but none that are money. Fan Sided Daily posted a Rams mock yesterday and agreed with Watkins as a smart move. The temptation is to go Jake Mathews, but Watkins could be better pick.

If Watkins is a plug and play WR then I'm all in, but if he's going to need Brian not so Quick time to adapt, then I say find another WR.

Go Rams!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

It does make you think doesn't it. I have been on the non first round wr train for a while now, but have slowly been considering it a little more and more the past few weeks.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I came accross the following stats that really jumped out at me:

Since Reggie Wayne was injured, Andrew Luck's completion percentage has gone from 60.7 to 55.2, his YPA has gone from 7.00 to 6.28, his TD/Interception ratio has gone from 10/3 to 5/5, and his passer rating has gne from 91.3 to 72.1.

While this is an extreme example, it really shows how much a No. 1 WR can impact a QB's performance.

So, maybe... just maybe... Sammy Watkins (or whichever WR you think is at the top of the list) should be considered, if available.
    I get what you are saying, the only thing is one WR is a HOFer and the other is a rookie. Not sure Sammy Watkins would have that kind of impact in year one.

I'm still not sure what we should do at this point. I hope they keep Pettis on the bench and get Austin, Bailey, Quick and Givens as many reps as possible. At the end of the year maybe we will see one of these guys rise up and give us hope, if not we may have to draft another one.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Losing a HOF-caliber wide receiver will certainly derail your efficiency, that's for sure.

If the Rams keep a Top 5 pick, I don't think they spend it on a wide receiver, though. I don't think there's a strong enough prospect in this class to warrant that selection. There is no Green/Jones. Some could argue there isn't even a Blackmon.

So now, we're looking at the Rams' own pick, which currently sits at 15 I believe but could shift up or down depending on how things go down the stretch. If Watkins lasts until then, he's definitely worth a look. If he's not there, do you pull the trigger on Evans or Lee @ 15? I'm not sure that I do; while both are good prospects, I'm not sure I'm particularly head over heels for either.

I think the question the Rams will have to answer if they're interested in receivers is this - is it worth spending a Top 20 pick on Evans/Lee, or could you spend a second rounder on Robinson, Matthews, Landry, or Coleman (if he declares)? How big is the drop-off in talent there?
    ManofGod likes this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

#TradeForAndreJohnson
    THOLTFAN81 and Haste like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

We definitely need a #1, no one has stepped up and shown that ability.

BQ is a solid red-zone WR, who probably is the only guy who can potentially develop into a #1, but has underwhelmed through 2 years.
    CG is a deep threat who is best used as a #2.
    TA is a moveable slot guy who can sometimes man the outside but not that bonafide game changing WR1.
    AP is AP.. he is what he is, reliable hands, solid red-zone #4 type.
    SB could develop into an outside weapon with time, but probably will never reach #1.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    #TradeForAndreJohnson
    Andre go for a 2nd round pick?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Andre go for a 2nd round pick?
    I think so, but only if the Rams were able to trade down with one of their 1st round picks to secure an extra 2nd rounder. I'd hate to give up our only 2nd round pick, no matter how talented Andre johnson is.

richtree is offline Registered User

Agree but Brandon Coleman is the next BIG thing. I really think the Rams will draft 2 WRs in top 5 rounds....

Waktins and Coleman could be interesting....

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I'd drop a 2nd for Andre in a heartbeat. He puts us (as well as a healthy Sam) into playoff contention and serious NFC West threat.

THE DREAM TEAM