Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

How the Cutler deal effects the Rams.

The Broncos shipped Cutler to Chicago with a 5th rounder for Kyle Orton, 2 1st rounders and a 3rd.

Now the Broncos may need a QB (depends how they view Orton) So in the draft lets say the Lions select Jason Smith over Matt Stafford.

If the Broncos rate Matt Stafford high they can make a trade up to get to #2 and select Matt Stafford. Cuz if the Lions dont take him the seahawks will and you know the Chiefs (division rival) wont help out the broncos.

The Broncos will have 2 1st rounders next year so the trade can be the 12 pick and a 2010 1st rounder (and maybe a 3rd, 4th or 5th) for the 2nd pick.

Yes i am aware of the Broncos salary cap but this move is out of luck (lions dont take him) and out of panic (if they dont believe in Kyle Orton)

Also with the 12th pick we can take the best run blocking OT in Andre Smith or Jeremy Macklin or even a run stopping MLB like Rey Mauluaga (sp)

Do you think the Cutler deal will effect the Rams this way? Do you think this deal can get done? If not do you see the Broncos trying to work out this deal come draft day? As a Rams fan would you be happy with the deal (forget about the Broncos on this question just would you like to move down and get a 1st next year)?

LARAM is offline Registered User

Re: How the Cutler deal effects the Rams.

I stated this in the Laurent Robinson thread....I really feel that the rams may trade down with Denver. I just don't see Kyle Orton being the starting OB in Sept. I am looking for the Rams to trade down with Denver, and Denver's 1st round pick/s next year to possibly be a key factor in a trade.

I look for Devaney and Co., to be smart and conservative this year. They appear to be making smart salary cap decisions, and making great strides to get the finances under control. There are great picks to be had in the mid to late first round this year. I also think another trade involving the DEF is going to happen soon. I imagine something like this......

Denver trades for Rams #2 pick....and Denver selects Stafford/Sanchez.

Rams get Denver's #12 or #18 and a 3rd round pick 2009, plus both 1st round picks in 2010, or a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2010. I obviously can't be precise, but I imagine something along these lines. Regardless, if a trade like this occurred, I think it would benefit the Rams in the long run. I just don't see how picking Monroe or Smith with the #2 pick and spending 65 million is going to be the resolution to our over all problems

I know most are thinking Denver would be stupid to trade away so many picks because thier Defense is in shambles. But they have to looking for a franchise QB now. I really think there are going to be some negotiations between Denver and the Rams as soon is Detroit makes thier selection, and much of this is depending on what Detroit does.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If the Broncos want to move up to #2 overall, they can give us Ryan Clady

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by barron
    if they dont believe in Kyle Orton
    Then why did they trade for him?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LARAM is offline Registered User

They traded for him because, they were being pinched by Cutler and his agent. I think they took Orton as a little insurance, very well expecting that at least they could put someone under center at the start of the season and also have a back up in the long term.

Remember, Denver also took two 1st round picks, and a 3rd round pick as well. Also, if Orton is so great, why would Chicago be so willing to part with Orton? That trade is so heavily favored towards Chicago, it's not even funny. Denver is the one playing catch up now.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Denver is the one playing catch up now.
    Yes, at several positions, but not QB.

In the trade scenario presented here, the Broncos are, essentially, trading Cutler for Stafford & Orton. That just doesn't make sense. Trade off your known starter for (what some believe to be) a backup and an unknown rookie?

The Broncos made the Cutler trade to acquire more 1st round talent (probably on D), not to package some deal to acquire a rookie QB.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

It's always interesting that everyone wants the Rams to trade down yet nobody ever sees why a team should be willing to trade up.

What if Denver offers the #12 pick and Eddie Royal for the #2 pick? (not predicting this - just a hypothetical)

shower beers is offline Registered User

The Bronco's made the trade, partly because they felt that Orton could work out for them. I'm not saying they won't go with a Qb with one of their first round picks, but it;s certainly less likely now. The organization felt a certain confidence that Orton would be able to manage their offense.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the trade impacts the Rams at all.

Warner4prez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM View Post
    That trade is so heavily favored towards Chicago, it's not even funny. Denver is the one playing catch up now.
    I don't quite see it that way at all. Yeah Chicago is gaining a great QB, but they still lack a few key pieces...like wide receivers. Not to mention their line isn't quite up to snuff. Now they can't even address most of those holes because they're down a 1st and a 3rd, not to mention next years first.

I think Denver pulled off a miracle deal! They have a loaded deck now. All of those picks are burning a hole in their pocket. I'm betting they'll address LB depth or yet another RB rather than play with the picks. Maualuga is bound to be there, maybe even Cushing. I'm sure they'll scrape by with Orton this year and come next year with two first round picks, they'll snag a guy like McCoy maybe even a marquee DT.

I lost the point which is no, I don't see it affecting the Rams. It will probably shake up the AFC though.
    Last edited by Warner4prez; -04-07-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The Broncos, IMO, are not going to trade up with the Rams. No one wants to move into the top five because of the money involved. I'll be shocked if there's any movement in the top five at all.

Denver might consider a trade up if Sanchez falls to, say, the 7-10 range. I don't think they'll be interested in Stafford because I think he's too much like Cutler - big arm, inconsistent decision maker and accuracy at times. Sanchez IMO fits the kind of QB McDaniels may prefer, but again, I don't see them moving up to #2 to take him.

They may wait, see if he slips further, and could ponder a trade with Jacksonville or Green Bay. More likely though, they'll sit tight at 12 and 18 and rebuild their team with two first round choices, likely on defense.

Thus, I do not see the Cutler deal having an effect on the Rams at all.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The only way I see it affecting the Rams is if there is a trickle down effect. For example, if Denver was likely to draft a defensive player before the Cutler trade, but instead they draft a quarterback in the first, it could change which players wind up falling into the second.

I don't see any deal for our first happening.

jbell15 Guest

PFT did a story earlier saying that devaney is trying very hard to move put of #2 and that the broncos may want to jump ahead of the seahags in order to get stafford/sanchez. It would cost them 12, 18 and a third in either this year or next year, according to the trade value shart. I talked to my friend who is an avid broncos fan, and he said that he believes denver is happy with orton/sims. If they are in fact, not happy, i would be excatic to do that deal. We could probably get oher at 12 and maualuga/lauranaitis at 18. Not to mention we still have our #35 pick to get a WR/DT. That would make my draft.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    PFT did a story earlier saying that devaney is trying very hard to move put of #2 and that the broncos may want to jump ahead of the seahags in order to get stafford/sanchez. It would cost them 12, 18 and a third in either this year or next year, according to the trade value shart. I talked to my friend who is an avid broncos fan, and he said that he believes denver is happy with orton/sims. If they are in fact, not happy, i would be excatic to do that deal. We could probably get oher at 12 and maualuga/lauranaitis at 18. Not to mention we still have our #35 pick to get a WR/DT. That would make my draft.
    Nothing that Devaney said suggests that the Rams are "trying very hard to move out of #2." Rather, it seems that the Rams are open to all possibilties. If someone wants the #2, they'll have to offer something of value.

I don't think anyone will.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I don't understand why everyone thinks Seattle is going QB #1. Hasselback is still great. They need a RB more then anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast