BarronWade is offline Registered User

How do you feel about spending a high draft pick on an OL?

Hypothetically speaking lets say we win the division with a near .500 record and a 1st round pick between 20-30.

Here's an intriguing idea taking an interior lineman. Last year i thought the Rams would go with a nice offensive playmaker but they decided to take an OT in Roger Saffold and make sure Bradford stays protected. I think that is a huge goal of this Devaney/spags regime. So why not go guard with a late 1st rounder?

So here is an intriguing prospect:

Rodney Hudson OL, Florida state

He is playing center this season but played Left guard the previous 2 seasons with 1 start at Left Tackle for the seminoles. He is a 4 pillar player. He can run block and pass block but is better at pass blocking. He is a great leader as well with good stamina to last an entire game and does not have an injury history.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: How do you feel about spending a high draft pick on an OL?

Not a bad idea at all, BarronWade, but how about we make a play for Logan Mankins of New England.

I wonder if Belicheat would trade him for maybe a 3rd this year and a 4th next year. We would have to sign him to a long term contract but this guy is the real deal.

I'm not all that happy with Goldberg and Greco at RG. We need to upgrade that position ASAP.

WHAT SAY YE?

shower beers is offline Registered User

I don't think it's a stretch at all to imagine them spending a high pick on an interior lineman. We need a RG to complete a working line, and no one can predict how long Bell will be sticking around, so I wouldn't be surprised if they went for a guard in the second round this year. I think the team stills needs playmakers more than anything, so I can't imagine them going for a guard round one, but it's still a probable priority for them, I'm sure.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

To get a pick in the 20-30 range, we'd have to finish with a record better than more than half the teams in the league unless the scenario involves a trade down as well. Regardless, we used a first round pick on an offensive lineman in 2009 and an early second round pick on another offensive lineman in 2010 in addition to the sizable contracts given to Jason Brown and Jacob Bell. I don't think it's very likely that we would go for another lineman that early in the draft in 2011.

If I had to rate our needs for the next draft, I'd say defensive line would be no. 1 with a bullet. Two of our better players on the line (Robbins and Hall) are near retirement age, and the depth isn't great as it is. We'd have to think about a receiver or runningback, too.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I would rather go for Mike Pouncey at the 20-30 range. Pouncey is 6-5, 325lbs, and he is an absolute mauler in the run game, and is also pretty solid in pass protection. He gives us a big and physical presence next to Jason Brown, another tough mauler.

Rodney Hudson is a solid player. The only knock is his size. At 6-2, around 285-290lbs, he's going to have trouble playing guard against 6-6 330lb defensive tackles.

He is a great pass protector, and his low center of gravity makes it easy for him to drive back COLLEGE defensive tackles. Will it work in the pros? Maybe.

I think his size will make him drop to maybe the 2nd and 3rd round, and if he does, we should pick him up there, and hope that once he enters a NFL strength and weight program, will get up to a solid 305 or 310lbs. Then, he would be a very solid lineman.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I would rather go for Mike Pouncey at the 20-30 range. Pouncey is 6-5, 325lbs, and he is an absolute mauler in the run game, and is also pretty solid in pass protection. He gives us a big and physical presence next to Jason Brown, another tough mauler.
    Just don't let him play center or snap

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i wouldn't be against getting a guy we thought could be a dominant guard for us, though we have other needs.