BarronWade is offline Registered User

How do you guys feel about Corey Luiget in the 1st round?

Most of us are trying to figure who the best DE for our Spags 4-3 defense. This is indeed is because we are not guarenteed Julio Jones.

Many mock drafts however have us taking Corey Liuget or mentioning him (indeed Jones is off the board). However i dont really see any of us talking about him.

Liuget is a 6-2 298 pound 4-3 Defensive Tackle. Powerful...non-stop motor... can penetrate and make plays in the backfield

So do you think Liuget would be a good fit for the Rams?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: How do you guys feel about Corey Luiget in the 1st round?

He's certainly an option, but I'm not crazy about the value at pick #14.

cfh128 is online now Registered User

I think DT is much more of a pressing need than DE, personally. Gary Gibson isn't blowing anybody's mind, Fred Robbins is 100 years old, and we have next to nothing depth wise. I wouldn't be upset with drafting Luiget at all, and if not then I think is a position we should certainly address sometime during the draft.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    I think DT is much more of a pressing need than DE, personally. Gary Gibson isn't blowing anybody's mind, Fred Robbins is 100 years old, and we have next to nothing depth wise. I wouldn't be upset with drafting Luiget at all, and if not then I think is a position we should certainly address sometime during the draft.
    I think we need both. Given Spags' proclivity for sliding defensive ends on passing downs, I think we ought to focus on getting a player with the knack for rushing the passer and then use him wherever he works best. Personally, I'm kind of partial to Cameron Jordan as a guy with the size and skills to potentially play DE or DT.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

I tend to agree with Nick about the value at #14 for Luiget. Although Mike Mayock has high regard for him as a DT and thinks he's stout against he run and can crash the pocket. Sounds a bit like last year's discussion of Bradford vs. Suh. Of course our choices are not great if Jones is off the board at #14. Ideally I would love to trade down in to the 20's and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick. If we do go this route perhaps a better option would be J.J. Watt and convert him to a DT (hopefully not Carricker type results). Watt is a great pick for a 34 defense as an end, but Spags is smart enough to know if he can convert to a DT. Another option is Aldon Smith whom we could use as DE providing he's available at #14. We seem to be in a bad place in this draft from a talent standpoint and the value question will haunt us throughout draft weekend. My only salvation is that if we select a player who pans out greatly the spot we select him will matter little once the year begins and we have a another piece of the puzzle taking us to the playoffs and beyond. There are still 4 weeks before the draft and much can happen with players stocks rising and falling so stay tuned Clanners, the fun is about to begin!

Go Rams!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He's certainly an option, but I'm not crazy about the value at pick #14.
    Exactly how I feel. The only DTs I'd take at 14 (and both should be gone before then) are Dareus and Fairley, and the next highest rated one on my board is Paea.

Luiget is the type of guy I'd be interested in if the Rams traded down in Round 1.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This from NFL Draft Rumours' scout Wes Bunting:
    One name who seems to be building a lot of traction is Illinois DT Corey Liuget. He’s said to be making his way up into the first half of round one and is a guy who the Rams are said to have a lot of interest in.

If we are forced to "reach" because Jones and Aldon Smith are off the Board and we're unable to trade out of our spot, we have to choose between Luiget, Adrian Clayborn or J.J. Watt (moving him to DT) or Paea. Taking Ayers as an OLB is a reach greater than Luiget in my opinion and Clayborn has some risks as well including health and work ethic, but he comes from a good progam. Kirk Ferentz is a solid college coach from whom we've already taken Bradley Fletcher. Paea is a solid DT who is a good selection providing his health concerns are resolved.

Bottom line, if Smith and Jones are gone we are likely to be reaching. I'm still hoping we can trade out of the spot if necessary.

Go Rams!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    If we are forced to "reach" because Jones and Aldon Smith are off the Board and we're unable to trade out of our spot, we have to choose between Luiget, Adrian Clayborn or J.J. Watt (moving him to DT) or Paea. Taking Ayers as an OLB is a reach greater than Luiget in my opinion and Clayborn has some risks as well including health and work ethic, but he comes from a good progam. Kirk Ferentz is a solid college coach from whom we've already taken Bradley Fletcher. Paea is a solid DT who is a good selection providing his health concerns are resolved.

Bottom line, if Smith and Jones are gone we are likely to be reaching. I'm still hoping we can trade out of the spot if necessary.

Go Rams!
    I don't think Jones and Smith coming off the board necessarily means we'll have to reach. Prince Amakamura could be an option at #14. In addition to Luiget, Clayborn, Watt and Paea, I would think Jordan (as I mentioned above) and Kerrigan could also be in the mix as potential options. Robert Quinn might also still be on the board, especially if Smith is taken by a top ten team in need of defensive line help. Every guy that moves up the board is pushing somebody else down to us.

I'm not really familiar enough with Illini football to have much of an opinion on Luiget, other than to say that unless half the teams picking before us go for defensive linemen and wide receivers, we should have our pick of a lot of players who would fill a need. In truth, we could pick just about any defensive position other than middle linebacker and be filling a need. If at least one or two of the teams above us take a quarterback, I think we'll be able to land a player who represents good value for the pick 10-15 range.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

If Spags views him as the answer for the defensive side of the thick trenches, then I wouldn't mind going for it. We'll be one of the surprises/controversial subjects also but Tyson Alualu was drafted high by the Jags last year and contributed very well for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    If Spags views him as the answer for the defensive side of the thick trenches, then I wouldn't mind going for it. We'll be one of the surprises/controversial subjects also but Tyson Alualu was drafted high by the Jags last year and contributed very well for the most part.
    Tyson Alualu was exactly whom I had in mind when I said that after the draft ends and a player contributes, the "value" discussion ends. That is why if the coaches led by Spags feels Luiget can be a star for us then I'm willing to roll the dice. I also agree with Golden Fleece that if a Top Ten team reaches that pushes a quality player closer to us. I think those who read many of the draft articles get very caught up in the value discussion and forget the notion that I mentioned above, if a player contributes then the value is there regardless of where he was taken. I think we'll come away with a great player and know that we have a solid coaching staff that will know how to use his skills best. I also believe that some team will do something surprising to "rock" the draft experts, further enhancing our chances.

Go Rams!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I like him, but at 14. NO?? Luiget fits the bill exactly for our defence. Ideally though, after trading back to around pick 22? I can not make my mind up about the players which will supposedly be on the board when we pick. Luiget may be the best of the lot.
    I have a feeling the Rams are looking at either Torrey Smith, Titus Young or Randall Cobb in the second.
    WR's that get in and out of there breaks quickly and have good quickness.
    Baldwin, Hankerson are hopefully out of the equation?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind, granted that's chiefly because I want to say the Rams are "too Luiget to quit" all the time.

HAMMERTIME....