Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By DE_Ramfan
  • 4 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By mcpeepants232003

Thread: How does Blackmon compare to other previous top 10 Wrs?

Haste is offline Registered User

How does Blackmon compare to other previous top 10 Wrs?

Is Blackmon expected to be on the level of Aj Green, Megatron, and Julio Jones?

Havn't seen much about what we should expect if we were to draft him in terms of speed, skills, hands, etc.

How many years will it take for him to develop fully?

Also, how smart is the guy? Can he pick up an offense well / adapt on the fly?

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Re: How does Blackmon compare to other previous top 10 Wrs?

My best comparison of Blackmon would be Brandon Marshal.

He dosen't have the speed and height of A.J. Green, Megatron and Julio Jones. I think he will be great.

I like WR Stephon Hill. He has the speed to be a great deep threat. A deep threat is what Rams are lacking at the WR position.

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

Well there's only one Megatron. Those guys are going to few and far between. Probably somewhere behind AJ Green and maybe around the same level as Jones. I think the best comparison is when Warren Moon said Blackmon is Dez Bryant with brain cells. Also said he ran better routes. Bryant could have been a top 10 pick if not for the lack of said brain cells. Some say he reminds them of TO.
    ManofGod likes this.

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    My best comparison of Blackmon would be Brandon Marshal.

He dosen't have the speed and height of A.J. Green, Megatron and Julio Jones. I think he will be great.

I like WR Stephon Hill. He has the speed to be a great deep threat. A deep threat is what Rams are lacking at the WR position.
    He doesn't have Marshal's size either.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If he has any of the afore mentioned receivers (minus Stephan Hill) skills, he is worth the 6th pick. Particularly if he is a fast learner.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Compared to the likes of Andre Johnson, Megatron, AJ Green, he's way below their level. His talent would best be comparable to 2nd tier #1 receivers (Bryant, Nicks, Wallace) with the best comparison being Hakeem Nicks. Now it's sort of a reach to draft a 2nd tier #1 receiver at #6 overall but it's understandable if you're drafting to make a significant upgrade at that spot.

SportsDude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    I think the best comparison is when Warren Moon said Blackmon is Dez Bryant with brain cells.of TO.
    Lmao I like that comparison

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    Is Blackmon expected to be on the level of Aj Green, Megatron, and Julio Jones?
    No one is on Megatron's level. Blackmon ranks behind Green as a prospect, and slightly behind Jones, though some did prefer him at the time last year before he elected to go back to school. I think he definitely ranks above previous Top Ten receivers like Crabtree, Ginn, and Heyward-Bey.

Havn't seen much about what we should expect if we were to draft him in terms of speed, skills, hands, etc.
    It sounds like you're looking for a basic scouting report on the guy. This is a good place to start...

Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

One thing that really stands out about Blackmon is his ability to gain yards after the catch. He's strong and physical enough to shed the initial tackle, and he displays enough explosiveness to outrun defenders down the field (go back and watch the Fiesta Bowl highlights against Stanford). It was said one of the reasons the Rams were hesitant to bring Brandon Lloyd back is that he didn't give them much YAC ability, so this could be an area of Blackmon's game that really appeals to them.

How many years will it take for him to develop fully?
    It's always a question mark in terms of how many years it takes before the light goes on for a rookie receiver, but my feeling is that Blackmon looks very pro ready in terms of explosiveness, route running, and ball skills.

Also, how smart is the guy? Can he pick up an offense well / adapt on the fly?
    Again, as a fan this is hard to judge from our couch. What I've read is that he has a high football IQ and was considered one of Oklahoma State's best practice players. So I think the team would be getting someone with the drive to reach his potential.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Blackmon is hard to compare to other receivers. He's only 6-1 and with a 4.5 40 barely above average speed wise. So he's not a physical freak. I'd agree he's more comparable to Nicks, Bowe, Colston and on. I honestly think the best comparison is a Dez Bryant without the awful childhood and hood persona and with better blocking skills and a higher football IQ.

Blackmon has a shot at being an all pro receiver. Does he have the elite size and speed? No but he's got all the other skills. If Blackmon falls to 6 I don't see any reason why we'd hesitate to pull the trigger.

Having Blackmon, Manningham(looks like it might be done), and Amendola all in uniform next year would be a huge upgrade to our receiving corps. Add in the improvement our young receivers like Salas, Pettis and Alexander should make and it would be crazy how much more talent we'd have.
    ManofGod likes this.

Haste is offline Registered User

It seems he will be worthy of the 6th pick. Only question is if he will be there for the taking.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I'll say this: before he decided to go back to college last year, there were many scouts who had trouble deciding on who they would draft first Blackmon or Green, this fact alone should speak volumes.

He reminds me more of Issac Bruce in his prime, especially with his skills after the catch.