Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Arrow How good is Gholston? Just ask Michigan's Long

How good is Gholston? Just ask Michigan's Long
    April 14, 2008
    By Clark Judge
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

So now it's Michigan's Jake Long who has the Miami Dolphins' interest, and it's easy to see why. He's a premier left tackle who was beaten for one sack his senior season.

That's right, one.

And the guy who beat him? Well, he's on the Dolphins' radar, too. That would be Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston, and I can't think of another prospect who climbed NFL Draft boards more quickly since the end of the season.

Once Gholston was a first-round pick. Then he was a top 10 choice. Now, he's a possible top five pick, with Miami not out of the question.

It's not just that he can play defensive end or outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He's the best pure pass rusher in this draft, producing a school-record 14 sacks last season, including three against arch-rival Michigan.

Oh, yeah, and that one against Long.

"I just waited for the right moment," he said. "It was nothing special."

Actually, it was. Until that game, Long had surrendered just one sack in his career at Ann Arbor, and, the way he tells the story, that was way back in his redshirt year. Long was supposed to be impenetrable, but Gholston had no trouble solving him ... or anyone else for that matter.

"That was a big battle for me," he said of his game against Long. "Going back to the previous year, he was tough competition. He kicked back in pass protection, and it was tough for me to get around him.

"So, coming into the game, I really focused on that and learned some new techniques to get better hands on him, and it worked."

Chad Henne had a tough time avoiding Vernon Gholston last November. (Getty Images)

It's appropriate that Long's only sack belonged to Gholston because, outside of Virginia's Chris Long, there isn't a better defensive end in this year's draft. Gholston has rare strength for a defensive end, able to bench press 475 pounds, and he's explosive, relentless and disruptive.

He also has all the measurables you're looking for in a player at the position. At the February scouting combine, Gholston ran a 4.65 40 and benched 225 pounds 37 times, tying -- who else? -- Jake Long for the best performance.

That was impressive. But then he ran a 4.58 and had a 42-inch vertical leap at his pro workout, and suddenly Gholston's name started appearing no lower than sixth on most mock draft boards.

"When I look at him," said one AFC player personnel director, "I see Carl Banks. I guarantee he has double-digit sacks his rookie year."

Maybe. But if there's a knock on the Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year it's consistency. You already know what he did against Michigan. He also had four sacks against Wisconsin. And he had two each in two other starts.

That means he produced 11 sacks in four games, which also means he had three in the other nine.

"That's one thing that bothers me," and AFC general manager said. "If he can do that against Michigan and Wisconsin, how come he's not doing it to other teams? Obviously, he has that capability. So what happened?"

I don't know, but what I do know about Vernon Gholston is that he did what no one else could -- and that's solve Jake Long.

Say what you want about Long, but he's the best tackle in this draft. He's not Joe Thomas. I don't care. He's so impressive Miami is talking to his agent.

If Long is the first pick in this month's draft, what does that make Gholston? Maybe we should ask Long, who had no trouble remembering what happened the last time the two met.

"I take it personally," he said of getting beaten. "I wanted to make sure I was perfect and not let up a sack, but Vernon is a great player, and he had a good move on me and I let it up."

That's good enough for me. It should be good enough for someone near the top of the draft, too.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: How good is Gholston? Just ask Michigan's Long

"That's one thing that bothers me," and AFC general manager said. "If he can do that against Michigan and Wisconsin, how come he's not doing it to other teams? Obviously, he has that capability. So what happened?"
    My gosh, what a brilliant question. Wish I would have thought to ask it!
    It's appropriate that Long's only sack belonged to Gholston because, outside of Virginia's Chris Long, there isn't a better defensive end in this year's draft. Gholston has rare strength for a defensive end, able to bench press 475 pounds, and he's explosive, relentless and disruptive.
    Wait a minute! What the heck? OUTSIDE OF CHRIS LONG?!?! Have you not seen Gholston's biceps!?!? I've seen him outrun a cheetah while arm wrestling a grizzly bear! He's awesome!
    I don't know, but what I do know about Vernon Gholston is that he did what no one else could -- and that's solve Jake Long.
    Or once anyway. The other 71 snaps he did not beat Jake Long, but yea, that one time he did.

Obligatory statement: Draft VG if CL is gone.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    My gosh, what a brilliant question. Wish I would have thought to ask it! Wait a minute! What the heck? OUTSIDE OF CHRIS LONG?!?! Have you not seen Gholston's biceps!?!? I've seen him outrun a cheetah while arm wrestling a grizzly bear! He's awesome! Or once anyway. The other 71 snaps he did not beat Jake Long, but yea, that one time he did.

Obligatory statement: Draft VG if CL is gone.
    I have to agree with HUB who swayed me a bit in the Jake Long, Gholston debate. I've soured a bit on Gholston and have put Jake above him. I cant come up with a good arguement other than gut feeling about Long and still would like to see Chris be picked first but I now have Long ahead of Gholston. Imagine Bulger having as much time to throw the ball as Brady does every year. SO Hub you have convinced me It's either Long for me.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I have to agree with HUB who swayed me a bit in the Jake Long, Gholston debate. I've soured a bit on Gholston and have put Jake above him. I cant come up with a good arguement other than gut feeling about Long and still would like to see Chris be picked first but I now have Long ahead of Gholston. Imagine Bulger having as much time to throw the ball as Brady does every year. SO Hub you have convinced me It's either Long for me.
    Whoa there, miser. I don't mean to convince anyone of Jake Long over Gholston. I think either would be a fine pickup.

My purpose was simply to give perspective to the "Gholston beat Jake Long" debate. I've heard arguments for Gholston that he "manhandled" Jake Long. That's the silliness I'm trying to weed out.....not necessarily the pick of Gholston itself.

Long, Long, Gholston, Dorsey............at this point I have to agree with tx (which scares me beyond all repair) that the Rams would have to go waaaaaaaay out of their way to screw this up.

P.S. If I start agreeing with tx more, does that mean I have to be crotchety about all sorts of topics for no apparent reason at all?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yep Hub, you have to get all "get off my lawn" on random things. Bennett is not tall enough, Pace isn't old enough and... Chavous tackles too well!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Yep Hub, you have to get all "get off my lawn" on random things. Bennett is not tall enough, Pace isn't old enough and... Chavous tackles too well!
    Yes, Teke, "get off my lawn", that's it. I can picture it now. Tx in a bathrobe, slippers, boxers, and a wife-beater going out for his morning paper only to see a group of kids playing in his water sprinkler.........

"Hey, you punk kids.....get out of here! Don't you know Tye Hill sucks? Back in my day, we'd have taken Cromartie. And don't get me started on Dorsey; stupid Rams don't ever do what I want. Where's my London Fletcher coffee mug?"

Oh yea, t"get off my lawn"x.........gotta love it.

RANDYRAM Guest

BTW WHO did C Long beat to get his 14 sacks??
    NOT ONCE was it J Long!
    You can teach moves but you cant teach speed!

RANDYRAM Guest

BTW WHO did C Long beat to get his 14 sacks!
    It wasn,t J Long!! V Gholston@#2

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    NOT ONCE was it J Long!
    Identical 10-splits, though Long had the faster 10-split at the Combine.......Long has the faster 3-cone and 20-shuttle

You're right......you can't teach speed.

RedArcher7 Guest

I say there Randy, when's the last time Jake Long went head to head with Chris Long? I'll give you a hint...never. It makes all your caps just look stupid. BTW Al Davis, Vernon isn't a whole lot faster than Long if that's what your man crush is based on.

I don't think anyone says Vernon Gholston is a bad player. Hub is right, fine he beat Jake once...he also lined up on the other side of the line so he could abuse the right tackle. Vernon Gholston is all about the sacks though. If it's a run play he won't go as hard, and if its a run play to the side he's not on, he's about as useful as boobs on a bull.

BTW WHO did C Long beat to get his 14 sacks!
    It wasn,t J Long!! V Gholston@#2
    Come on, Randy; this is just silly. Vernon Gholston beats Jake Long on 1 snap of the 72 attempts, and that's supposed to mean something?

Okay, I'll play along........how 'bout this?

WHO did NOT get beat by Jake Long over the past 4 years? It wasn't Vernon Gholston!! C. Long@#2

See what I mean, Randy? Kind of silly, huh?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

NOT ONCE was it J Long!
    Is it Chris Long's fault the Big Ten prefers to schedule MAC teams for their non-conference games?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

this thread is funny!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

And yet strangely enough, NFL teams have strength and conditioning coaches. You can't teach speed, but you can teach better ways to train, leading to increased speed. In fact, there are actually workout camps that will prep players to help them get their times down prior to the Combine. Here are just a few. Notice how Paradigm says it can knock 2/10 of a second off your 40? But you can't teach speed.

If you did ask Jake Long how good Gholston was, he might point out that Gholston just got one sack off him the second time they played (2007) and none the first time (2006).

RANDYRAM Guest
    The ? is who and what kind of competition did C Long get his 14 SACKS against??

Compared against who and what kind of competition V Gholston got his 14 SACKS??

If C long went 100% every game and got 14 sacks. Then V Gholston from
    what Ive heard on this site took 1/2 the games off and still got 14 sacks!

And we all know that C Long has better use of his hands and better
    coaching from his HOF dad!!

It tells me that with some good coaching V Gholston has a lot more
    up side Than C Long !! He also faced tougher competition and came
    up BIG in BIG games!!

C Long already knows how to use his hands and is closer to his peek
    than V Gholston! This why I like Gholston! He has some learning to do
    but it might be worth the wait!

Now when the rams pic whoever ?? @ # 2 I,m not going to complain!
    Because really!!
    I know the RAMS DON'T CARE WHAT ANYBODY ON THESE BOARDS THINK!
    BTW I WON'T B---H 1 BIT IF WE GET 1 OF THE LONGS DORSEY OR GHOLSTON!!

MAN DO I LOVE STIRRING IT UP WITH YOU GUYS THIS IS FUN!!
    ALL THE CAPS ARE 4 U RED!!
    Last edited by RANDYRAM; -04-15-2008 at 06:41 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast