View Poll Results: How do you feel about the players the Rams drafted?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ecstatic

12 7.64%
  • Feel Good

100 63.69%
  • Feel Oaky

31 19.75%
  • Feel Concerned

11 7.01%
  • Did Not Like

3 1.91%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: How happy are you with the players the Rams drafted?

I feel ok about this draft, mainly because I don't know if we got ourselves an established weapon on offense for Bradford.

I thought for sure, with all of the good TE's there in the 4th, we would grab Sam's new best friend. Now, we did at least go offense there in the 4th with Gilyard(sp?), but I don't know if he's going to scare anyone.

I like grabbing two TE's to hopefully make sure one of them pans out, and obviously something must be wrong with him, but why not at least try out Dorin Dickerson in the 7th as opposed to the one we grabbed in the 6th?

I believe!

BM_Face is offline Registered User

I Feel Good. Having taken Bradford, I think we went a long way to protect and support him. I am hoping he signs quickly.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I don't mind that we didn't take a runningback. Honestly, if we couldn't have gotten Best or Spiller, i could have done without. Runningbacks really tend to more a "dime a dozen" compared to other positions. If our offensive line plays to their talent level, Ogbonnaya could easily be that back-up guy. We've also signed a couple of runningbacks the night after the draft and some big receiver prosepects who did not get drafted. This camp is going to be awesome.

JimmyG37 is offline Registered User

I feel good about the Rams' draft. I love that we now have a guy in Bradford that can be a franchise QB for us, because let's face it, we did not have a QB that could be considered a credible full-time NFL starter.

I liked the Saffold pick because you have to protect your big investment. I mentioned this in a post right after we took Saffold; if a football team is a house, your QB is your mortgage, and your tackles are your insurance policy.

I liked the Murphy pick, because we needed bigger and more physical corners. Fletcher was showing himself to be that until he got hurt, so hopefully Fletcher can get healthy and he and Murphy can be a strong duo for us. Let's face it, in our division we need to have several solid corners.

We needed a receiver, and Gilyard provides that. I would have been happy with going for the risk/reward pick in Griffen, but Gilyard gives a successful collegiate receiver who can help us in the return game as well.

I'm OK with the 2 TE picks. Hoomanawanui might have been the best TE in the Big Ten had he not missed some time with injuries and had he had a QB who was better at Illinois. Sounds like his best strength will be blocking, but the Rams seem to think that he can catch the ball as well. Onubon is an intriguing project. I'm willing to take a chance on a 6-6, 250 lb. TE with his athleticism in the 6th round. Martz would've taken him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The Hall Davis pick initially had me shaking my head, but he sounds like he could be a decent developmental prospect, so I'm OK with that.

The only pick that really has me shaking my head was the pick of Eugene Sims. Maybe he can bring something to the team, but just not sure about the pick.

7th rounders are 7th rounders. That said, I love the Selvie pick, like the Hull pick, and am OK with the Johnson pick.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Im not even going to really look at the players, but i really like the draft for the way the team drafted.

Round 1 they took the best QB available, and definitely one of the top players in the entire draft. Need affected this pick slightly, but if the Rams dont pick him he doesnt get out of the top 5, thats how good he is. Might be a poor QB class, but Bradford is by far and away the best of the lot, and one of the best QBs to come out for years.

Rounds 2-4, the Rams drafted guys who were valued as going in the rounds before then. Saffold was talked about as a first rounder, Murphy a late second rounder and Gilyard was a third rounder if not better. I like the way the team looked at trades, but since the value wasnt coming, they decided to take their guys.

Rounds 5-7 i like the fact the team concentrated on two positions and took a couple of TEs and three DEs. Everyone knows that the late rounds are a crap shoot, but with multiple guys competing there is a chance one of them sticks.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Good but well short of ecstatic. We acquired the best prospect at the most important position on the field. A gamble perhaps, but a necessary one. I had no problem taking an offensive lineman in the second, either. The surprise was that we took a nimble left tackle prospect when the obvious holes were at guard and right tackle. Jerome Murphy in the third confirms this coaching staff's commitment to aggressive, physical corners. The pick was good value if not at a position we would have predicted. The same could be said about Gilyard in round four. In the later rounds, the team started to address needs at TE and DE with multiple picks at each.

At day's end, the offense looks much improved. We added to the talent at essentially every level of the offense: quarterback, offensive line, wide receiver, and tight end. The defense will presumably have to wait for its makeover.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Can I add a option: Hated it!
    Outside of the first two picks, we really blew this one (like we always do), the last good draft we had was in 1999.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Outside of the first two picks, we really blew this one (like we always do), the last good draft we had was in 1999.
    Well sir .. who should Billy and Spags have selected to gain your approval?

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Mardy Gilyard in the damn 4th round!!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It's hard to say how happy I am with the players when they haven't even gone through the first mini-camp, let alone play in an NFL game. I am happy with the fact that overall it appears a solid draft, as Billy and Spags apparently stuck with their board/ratings, and got some value picks. I really like the selection of Saffold, Murphy, and Gilyard. Hoomanavanui I don't know much about, and Onobun is clearly a project, but it's ok to gamble a little in rds 6 or 7. Maybe he'll end up being the Rams' version of Antonio Gates. The guy has size and remarkable speed to boot. He ran a sub 4.5 forty at his pro day. Time will tell as always, but overall this appears to be a solid draft. No Trung Candidates, Brian Leonards, or Jimmy Kennedys taken high in the draft.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Red face Re: How happy are you with the players the Rams drafted?

Care to elaborate? While not all of the team's decisions were obvious choices to the fans, they didn't do anything too crazy, either. It's not like we drafted anybody several rounds ahead of where they were predicted or anything.

richtree is offline Registered User

Only 2 things I didn't like....we still don't have any Linebacker Depth...

and #2 we don't have a hybrid/rb type for Sjax to take a breather.....

other than that it was just the lack of free agent pickup/trades that could have helped us out...

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'm good with it right now.

Once the decision was taken to draft Bradford, we then had to make a big an effort as posible to keep him upright and give him someone to throw to. Saffold and Gilyard were good value for us in that regard.

The later rounds made a kind of sense, going for TE and DE, although I'd have liked us to pick up an extra wide-body at DT or help a weakside LB and there were a couple of candidates we passed on there.

Opinions vary but I'm just pleased we didn't have any Canidate/Crouch/Shepherd mind-blowingly wierd choices.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I went with "oaky" just because it tickled me as a typo,especially considering we drafted Oklahoma's favored son.By the way, don't ever refer to anyone from Oklahoma by that name ( I know the spelling's different). I made that mistake once & was made aware that it's considered a pejorative by many; memories of the indignities of The Dust Bowl,etc.

Overall, okay sums it up pretty well in any case. I like that DeSpags made choices clearly based on their own conviction; I just don't necessarily share them on some stuff, starting with, but not only Sam; to use the phrase that Holmgren later softened about Clausen; I wish I liked him more. Not as a person-he's clearly stellar in that regard & I'm glad to see that he has a more lively personality than I had inferred from earlier interviews,etc- but having watched two good QBs get pummelled out of town & the relative strength of his college team & non-NFL-esque duties for them, it worries me . Clausen or Colt at #1 wouldn't have thrilled me ,either, but I wish it had been a less savvy GM/Pres than Holmgren who held the only chance for a trade down to where the extra picks would have balanced out the equation,imo. It'll be interesting to see how that moment gets remembered in Rams history. Will this be remembered as "The Call" when this year's QB class are compared a few years from now?

My gut reaction to the rest is sort of similar; I like the idea of an OT and a return guy/slot WR & trust their judgment on the individuals, but I had hoped they saw potential enough in those already on the team at those spots or could deal with Barron for another year, freeing them to address other things like RB and LB,DE,TE a little higher.Then again, there weren't a lot of guys at those positions taken right after most of the picks who seemed that sexy, either.

We'll never know, of course, but I think the cookie didn't crumble that well for us. We got some tasty morsels but not necessarily the big bite that seriously filled some of the glaring holes to my eyes . Maybe DeSpags feel that,too, hence the multiple options taken lower down at TE and DE. Maybe no swan but few more eggs in the basket & hopefully a few will hatch into something that can fly or, at least, get made into a hearty depth omelette .

I do like that they don't seem to be compromising or changing course in their approach. That continuity is important & reassuring to me. But Spags & his staff have a lot more responsibility for the performance of this roster now & it's a mystery how they will respond. Scary but fascinating.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -04-26-2010 at 03:01 AM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

How do I feel about the draft?

Great signing. Excellent depth.

Actually, I'm feeling better about my team.....how's that?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast