Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    TheRammer Guest

Re: How important is the WLB position?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    You guys are talking like Diggs is the solution. He is merely a 1 year starter until we can find someone more capable of having an impact.

We dont need a pro bowler we need a quality starter. And i hope you guys dont think Diggs is a quality starter.

He will get some tackles but he will miss some. He cant be trusted on to be healthy. I don't see him as a huge improvement over Chris Chamberlain at this point.
    Of course he will miss tackles and make some? Which NFL player on defense doesn't do this? No NFl player can be trusted to be healthy, everyone gets hurt it's the NFL...
    It's not guranteed anyone is a quality starter but I think the odds are in our Favor with him doing good with his set of skills and our system we use.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Diggs has started in the league for many years. He's not a long-term solution because of his age, but he's certainly capable of holding down the starting role for a year or two.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    Of course he will miss tackles and make some? Which NFL player on defense doesn't do this? No NFl player can be trusted to be healthy, everyone gets hurt it's the NFL...
    It's not guranteed anyone is a quality starter but I think the odds are in our Favor with him doing good with his set of skills and our system we use.
    Wat i mean is he is not a reliable enough tackler to put out there every week.

And wen you talk about odds; odds are older players like Diggs get injured more often. With his age obviously he wont be out there every down and i dont think he will last till the end of the year he will either get injured or lose his starting job.

Maybe he does well in our system but do you think he is the solution at WLB? You did not imply it but your very high on him. And if he did so well in Carolina why wasnt he offered a contract?

thickandthin is offline Registered User

And wen you talk about odds; odds are older players like Diggs get injured more often. With his age obviously he wont be out there every down and i dont think he will last till the end of the year he will either get injured or lose his starting job.

Maybe he does well in our system but do you think he is the solution at WLB? You did not imply it but your very high on him. And if he did so well in Carolina why wasnt he offered a contract?
    Maybe they didn't want to sign him b/c they think they can get a player in the draft better and for the future. Diggs will also be a very capable starter and for some mentoring.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

I like Diggs and think he brings leadership and experience to position full of young players. Draft sucked imo and I wish we still had WW, but Diggs imo will help make 2 of the 3 LB spots pretty solid, NOT GREAT but an upgrade from last year and anything else grabbed in the draft is a bonus.

TheRammer Guest

Not trying to argue with you but seriously compared to Paris Lenon your going to not be satisfied with the signing of Diggs? I'm not saying I want him for starting WLB for 5 years or even to start, but he'd be a great stop gap guy if we don't draft someone this year or even just for depth... This move can be nothing but great for us.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    Not trying to argue with you but seriously compared to Paris Lenon your going to not be satisfied with the signing of Diggs? I'm not saying I want him for starting WLB for 5 years or even to start, but he'd be a great stop gap guy if we don't draft someone this year or even just for depth... This move can be nothing but great for us.
    Yes i do think Diggs is better than Lenon but not by a huge margin.

But that is what i wanted to get to he is a stop gap guy. But when do we get the future WLB. Many drafts have us taking AJ Edds who is not a good blitzer.

When are we going to get a blitzing LB that is smart and knows how to play in Spags scheme? Cuz our DL needs help getting to the QB. I think the OLB position are very important in how we get to the QB.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I could be wrong but I think Carolina let him walk because they want to move Dan Connor into a starting role.

You are right about us needing a long term answer at OLB, but you can say that about almost every position on our team. Signing these veterans as a stop gap is important because we have way more holes to fill than we have draft picks. These veterans will help us to be competitive until we can find a long term solution in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12