Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How the Rams can obtain an extra 2013 second round pick.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How the Rams can obtain an extra 2013 second round pick.

Select Ryan Broyles (WR, Oklahoma) in the 5th or 6th round.

Broyles was going to be selected in the first two rounds of the draft before tearing his ACL. While 2012 will likely be a "redshirt" season for him, by 2013, he should be ready to play.

His skill set could make him one of the league's best slot receivers and, by the way, I think Sam Bradford likes throwing to him.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: How the Rams can obtain an extra 2013 second round pick.

YEAH, I quite like the idea too. It would be similar to what the Raiders done, when drafting RB M.Bush. Even though the Rams have so many needs at different positions, you still can't get away from the fact, that a 5th round pick for Broyles is an absolute bargain. I'd even venture to say a 4th round pick would still be smart business, going forward. Because a player like Broyles could do wonders for Bradford's game. He will be one of those players who Ill be keeping my eye's open for on draft day. The only problem is the timing is not the best. The Rams do not have the luxury of being able to wait for their draft picks, I dont think.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-08-2012 at 12:52 PM.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

This idea has some merit but the problem as I see it is that we do not have a 5th round pick in this draft, and I highly doubt if Broyles will be there in the 6th round.

The question, then, is do we use our pick in the 4th round for a guy who is coming off ACL surgery and might not be available for much of the year?

Also, while I do like the skill set that Broyles brings to the game, I am uneasy about adding another guy who looks to be a slot receiver primarily when the Rams have a seemingly unending supply of these types.

WHAT SAY YE?

If the Rams want/need a 5th round pick, it would be pretty easy to acquire one through a trade.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

How does his choice warrant an extra pick? If it was as easy as you say it is im sure plenty of teams would do it. Everyone will be keeping an eye on him. If he falls to the 5th and we had 1, I'd take him in a heartbeat. With that said, no way at all does that warrant getting an extra second because with your logic he won't really play next year, why would someone give a 2nd for him? And if hes that good, why not keep him? Its not like our WR's are all stars..

Plenty of teams will be willing to take a chance on him in the 4th. I hope he slips to the later rounds and we snag him though, hes an awesome slot WR.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    How does his choice warrant an extra pick? If it was as easy as you say it is im sure plenty of teams would do it. Everyone will be keeping an eye on him. If he falls to the 5th and we had 1, I'd take him in a heartbeat. With that said, no way at all does that warrant getting an extra second because with your logic he won't really play next year, why would someone give a 2nd for him? And if hes that good, why not keep him? Its not like our WR's are all stars..

Plenty of teams will be willing to take a chance on him in the 4th. I hope he slips to the later rounds and we snag him though, hes an awesome slot WR.
    Wow, you really missed the point here.

I'm not saying the Rams should select Broyles and then trade him for a 2013 2nd round pick. That's just silly. I'm saying that the Rams could get a guy who is a SECOND ROUND TALENT in a much later round by selecting Broyles, as long as they're willing to be patient and wait for him to get healthy.

Don't be so quick to look for an argument where there isn't one to be had.
    THOLTFAN81, cfh128, Rammed and 2 others like this.

emuen is offline Registered User

I don't like the idea of using a pick (not to mention trade to obtain a pick) to get a slot receiver that can't play for the next year.
    If he had been an outside receiver/speedster kind of guy I guess one could argue taking a gamble. However in the slot we got both Amendola (leading receiver and safety blanket last he played) and Salas (a pick from last year that showed real promise).

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wow, you really missed the point here.

I'm not saying the Rams should select Broyles and then trade him for a 2013 2nd round pick. That's just silly. I'm saying that the Rams could get a guy who is a SECOND ROUND TALENT in a much later round by selecting Broyles, as long as they're willing to be patient and wait for him to get healthy.

Don't be so quick to look for an argument where there isn't one to be had.
    My mistake!! But yeah, im sure 32 of 32 NFL teams will be looking at him if he starts to slide a bit. Plus I think to say he wont play most of next year is a stretch, I'd think maybe PUP or just 3 or 4 games missed. I'd like to take him later (4th and beyond). And im not looking for an argument, I just misunderstood you.

BarronWade is online now Registered User

so broyes will miss 2012 and we should use a late rounder on him? NO! i say pull the danario alexander on him let him go undrafted then tell him he will be catching passes from bradford again and do a camp invite for 2013

I just do not see him being drafted with the injury...without being drafted he will not have a team in 2012.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I"ve said this before, and I'll say it again. The Rams need to focus on how they can aquire a Calvin Johnson type and leave Wes Welker types alone.

Besides, if Amendola, Salas and Pettis all return free of injury/drugs, I suspect there won't be any room for another slot receiver. Perhaps that pick can be better used on a Lineman on either side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I"ve said this before, and I'll say it again. The Rams need to focus on how they can aquire a Calvin Johnson type and leave Wes Welker types alone.

Besides, if Amendola, Salas and Pettis all return free of injury/drugs, I suspect there won't be any room for another slot receiver. Perhaps that pick can be better used on a Lineman on either side of the ball.
    If you want to improve the overall talent on a team, then you MAKE the ROOM. I think Broyles will be better than the existing three of them put together, once he gets his feet under him. So for this reason alone, I think Broyles to the Rams is a good match. You have got to remember, Sam Bradfords bread and butter is the underneath stuff. So its makes just as much sense, to give him a true difference maker in the slot, as it would be too draft another good deep threat.? But the chances of it happening, are probably zero with Fisher at the helm. But it was a good idea in my opinion..
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-09-2012 at 11:44 AM.

For the record, those of you who are reacting to this as if I'm suggesting that the Rams take Broyles and NO OTHER WRs, you have also misread my original post.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Broyles is targeted as a slot receiver but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities he could be a #2 type receiver on the outside. There is a very good chance he may go undrafted.

The funniest thing is people don't want to spend a 5th round pick on a position where we have a player. That's a good one.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    If you want to improve the overall talent on a team, then you MAKE the ROOM. I think Broyles will be better than the existing three of them put together, once he gets his feet under him.
    Agreed. Give him the Mark Clayton Treatment: stick him on the PUP if he isn't ready by camp, and then see where he is mid-season.

We have to keep in mind that Fisher and the new GM have no connection to these receivers. They weren't the guys who drafted them or brought them in. If they make their evaluations and see an opportunity for an upgrade, they should take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Agreed. Give him the Mark Clayton Treatment: stick him on the PUP if he isn't ready by camp, and then see where he is mid-season.

We have to keep in mind that Fisher and the new GM have no connection to these receivers. They weren't the guys who drafted them or brought them in. If they make their evaluations and see an opportunity for an upgrade, they should take it.
    You make it sound so simple Nick. Which it is, if you know how to evaluate properly. The FO is going have its hands full,trying to change the culture, and building a consistent model for the future. But nothing is as important as judging talent. Its another area which has reared its ugly head, far too many times with the Rams over the last two decades. Fix this problem and everything else, should fall into place a lot easier.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-10-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    Nick likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast