View Poll Results: What grade would you give the 2006 draft class?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

0 0%
  • A-

0 0%
  • B+

0 0%
  • B-

0 0%
  • C+

0 0%
  • C-

0 0%
  • D+

1 7.14%
  • D-

5 35.71%
  • F

8 57.14%
    rNemesis is offline Registered User

How would you rate the 2006 draft class?

I created the poll to see what you guys think about what I am now going to burn on. I sometimes get bored counting down the days to the draft ( 22 I think), so I was on wikipedia looking at some 2011 draft information, and I was a little curious about the past drafts and wanted to do a little research. We all know that are previous drafts during the Linehan and Zygmunt era were just plain rubbish, so out of curiousity, I just wanted to see just how bad it really hurt, and boy did I regret it. I was just so furious at the fact that all 31 other teams, although they didnt hit on EVERY pick, they hit on at least one or two at some point or the other and several are still with the team, and that we wasted three consecutive drafts.

To keep it short since doing all three drafts in one thread will be TOO long, I will post the other two drafts in a separate but similar thread.

2006 DRAFT CLASS( according to wikipedia)
    1st rd- Tye Hill, CB ( no longer with team)- Grade- big time bust ( Passed on the likes of Cromartie, Santonio Holmes, Davin Joseph, Chad Greenway, Manny Lawson, Nick Mangold)
    2nd rd- Joe Klopfenstein, TE- ( no longer with team) C, he was okay, but not the least bit spectacular. ( Passed on Cedric Griffin, Marcus McNeill, Greg jennings, Devin hester, Jeremy Trueblood, MJD)
    3rd rd- We had three picks in this round: 68, 77, and 93. Claude Wroten, DT, was the first pick( no longer with team, also had violation of drug policy, etc.) Grade: C. Jonathan Alston, LB, was the second. ( no longer with the team) Grade: D. And Dominique Byrd, TE was the third. Come on, are you kidding me? When you have multiple picks in a round like this you are supposed to hit on at LEAST one, my goodness. However, its hard to say we passed on good guys because it seems as if most of the picks in this round are either no longer with their teams or did not produce much anyway. But Owen Daniels and Jerious Norwood were overlooked.
    4th rd- Victor Adeyanju, DE. Grade: B. Now here's one guy I can safely say gave the most value for this draft, even though he is no longer with us to my knowledge. Good run stopping ability despite average pass rushing ability. However, we did pass on guys like Will Blackmon, Stephen Tulloch, Brandon Marshall, Leon Washington, Barry Cofield, Elvis Dumervil, Ray Edwards, Rob Sims, and Willie Colon.
    5th rd- Marques Hagans, WR. Grade: D ( no longer with team). Passed on: Jerome Harrison, Dawan Landry, Tim Dobbins, Jeff King, Antoine Bethea ( 6th round)
    6th rd- NO PICK
    7th rd-3 picks: 221, 242, & 243. 1st pick was Tim Mcgarigle, LB. Grade: D ( no longer with the team.) 2nd pick was Mark Setterstrom, G. Grade: B. Pretty good guard value at this late point in the draft, no longer with team however. 3rd pick was Tony Palmer, G. Grade: D. ( No longer with team and I have never even heard of the guy)
    But we passed on Ben Obomanu and guess who? Marques Colston!

Can you believe this?

Oh, by the way, I just realized that a similar thread was made in 2007, so I dont think I will bother doing the 2007 and 2008 classes. Or should I?
    Last edited by rNemesis; -04-06-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Wasnt finished, and didnt realize a similiar thread was already made in 2007

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: How would you rate the 2006 draft class?

How can u give it any other grade than F. I would say it was so horrible doesn't even deserve a grade at all. F--

Yeah that is true. Now that I think about it I was too generous!!! :@

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

D-, with Adeyanju as the only redeeming quality.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

D- !!! That is way too nice.

I liked Setterstrom, and had high hopes on Ayendeju, but come on people, this draft was a huge F ailure, and one of the chief reasons why we are a rebuilding team.

(this isn't entirely pointed at you BBQ, but all of you softies)

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'll give it a flat out F, our front office was so dysfunctional at that time, the GSOT members pretty much overshadowed their incompetence only to affect the team as Holt, Bruce, Pace, and Little were aging. Luckily the Devaney era brought new hopes for this team, man it's hard to believe all of this was happening only 5 years ago, we're in good management for years to come.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think I gave it a B at the time, which has now fallen off to a D. Mark Setterstrom was a good value pick late and arguably the best of the class. Adeyanju would also qualify as a successful pick in the fourth. However, 2 depth players is not much of a haul for an entire draft class.

In retrospect...

Hill had the speed but not the coverage skills. At the time, I was kind of partial to Ngata if we stayed put or Bobby Carpenter if we traded down, so I can halfway claim to have called this one back in '06.

Klopf was admittedly disappointing although it's still hard to point to a specific reason we should have known not to draft him. I'm willing to chalk this one up to the unpredictability of the draft. It turned out not to be a good pick, but not one that I strongly blame the front office for making.

However, we were counting on the FO to make the right judgment call on players like Wroten based on interviews and the like, and history shows they made a very poor choice in putting faith in him. Likewise, we knew Alston was going to face an uphill battle trying to play linebacker at his size and might not be cut out for safety. Even at face value, there was reason for skepticism, and I hated the Byrd pick from the beginning more so than any other that year.

Hagans and McGarigle at least did enough to spend some time on the active roster. Tony Palmer was cut by the Rams, but actually made the Green Bay roster and played in 8 games over the next two years. They weren't great picks, but they did enough to earn roster spots and contribute on special teams...and that's often about all you get out of late rounders. None of these three were spectacular Marques Colston gems, but they weren't awful picks either.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -04-07-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Well have it. This is one of the main reasons why we are, as mentioned, a rebuilding team. This is one of the main reasons why we went 6-42 over the three years before last season. The other reasons being the two drafts that followed!!! This is one of the main reasons why we have no depth at most if not all positions on the roster. Because the previous regime drafted ridiculously poor and it has trickled down because at that time, all the rest of what was left of the GSOT had to retire because it was time. And then there was just nothing, I mean nothing, left but a barren dearth of talent and skill to perform competitively at the highest level of football there is with 31 other teams doing their due diligence and homework.

Ladies and gentlemen there you have it. THAT IS WHY WE HAVE BEEN SO BAD!! IT MAKES ME SO F***ING ANGRY WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT !! ( are there any ladies by the way? )