View Poll Results: What grade do you give 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

    4 13.79%
  • A

    3 10.34%
  • A-

    5 17.24%
  • B+

    10 34.48%
  • B

    7 24.14%
  • B-

    0 0%
  • C+

    0 0%
  • C

    0 0%
  • D

    0 0%
  • F

    0 0%
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RamsSB99's Avatar
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Power
    23

    How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    The last two drafts have produced 6 starters at key positions. I know normally its to early to judge drafts because players could still develop and I believe they might but I am willing to give them an A+ on these two drafts even if the other non-starters don't pan out. The funny thing is in the 2010 draft when the Rams where on the clock I don't think they picked one player other then Bradford that would have been in my top 3 choices of who they had to pick from. Funny how glad I am with their picks now.

    Offensive Starters:
    QB - Sam Bradford 2010
    LT - Rodger Saffold 2010
    RT - Jason Smith 2009
    TE - Mike Hoomanawanui 2010

    Defensive Starters:
    MLB - James Laurinaitis 2009
    CB - Bradley Fletcher 2009

    2010 Draft
    1. Sam Bradford
    2. Rodger Saffold
    3. Jerome Murphy
    4. Mardy Gilyard
    5. Mike Hoomanawanui
    5. Hall Davis
    6. Fendi Onobun
    6. Eugene Sims
    7. Marquis Johnson
    7. George Selvie
    7. Josh Hull

    2009 Draft
    1. Jason Smith
    2. James Laurinaitis
    3. Bradley Fletcher
    4. Dorell Scott
    5. Brooks Foster
    6. Keith Null
    7. Chris Ogbonnaya
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-05-2011 at 09:00 PM.


  2. #2
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,409
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    Which way could you go other than A+? We got so many talented players. I think Fletcher will explode this year. Other than him, Bradford, Saffold, Smith, Laurinaitis and Hoomanawanui were unbelievable picks. They did a tremendous job.

  3. #3
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,649
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    I don't think you can really go A+, as that would suggest almost perfect.

    The drafts were good, don't get me wrong, and the 6 starters that we have got out of the draft have been very good. Although Hoomanawanui needs to stay healthy. Jerome Murphy contributed well at a difficult position even though he had a few failures in coverage.

    However, the later picks haven't necessarily panned out. Brooks Foster, Chris Ogbonnaya, Keith Null and Hall Davis are no longer with the team. Mardy Gilyard could barely get on the field and couldn't get his head around the playbook. Dorell Scott seems to be a reserve at best.

    A+ just seems a little too high for me

  4. #4
    TylerBishop is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    207
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    Scoring based on round value and grade, with evaluations listed below.

    Many teams would score much lower based on this grading system I think it's important to look at the whole picture though. The trend I see is that we are finding top talent in the early rounds, and avoiding busts, but have the inability to find late round gems.

    2010 Draft

    1. Sam Bradford- Will Be Elite NFL Starter (A)
    2. Rodger Saffold- Top NFC Tackle (A)
    3. Jerome Murphy- Non-starter but a contributor (C)
    4. Mardy Gilyard- Non-starter, possible let-down (D)
    5. Mike Hoomanawanui- Starter, impressive so far (A)
    5. Hall Davis- no longer with the team (F)
    6. Fendi Onobun- Project with upside still (C)
    6. Eugene Sims- rotational sub (C)
    7. Marquis Johnson- rotational sub/special teams (C)
    7. George Selvie- non-starter contributor (B)
    7. Josh Hull- practice squad guy (D)

    2010 Score= 2.5 out of 4 (C)

    2009 Draft
    1. Jason Smith- Starter, under-performer (B)
    2. James Laurinaitis- Starter top talent (A)
    3. Bradley Fletcher- Starter, ascending (A)
    4. Dorell Scott- rotational, on the bubble for roster (D)
    5. Brooks Foster- no longer with the team (F)
    6. Keith Null- No longer with he team (F)
    7. Chris Ogbonnaya- No longer with the team (F)

    2009 Score= 1.74 out of 4 (D)

  5. #5
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,043
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerBishop View Post
    Scoring based on round value and grade, with evaluations listed below.

    Many teams would score much lower based on this grading system I think it's important to look at the whole picture though. The trend I see is that we are finding top talent in the early rounds, and avoiding busts, but have the inability to find late round gems.

    2010 Draft

    1. Sam Bradford- Will Be Elite NFL Starter (A)
    2. Rodger Saffold- Top NFC Tackle (A)
    3. Jerome Murphy- Non-starter but a contributor (C)
    4. Mardy Gilyard- Non-starter, possible let-down (D)
    5. Mike Hoomanawanui- Starter, impressive so far (A)
    5. Hall Davis- no longer with the team (F)
    6. Fendi Onobun- Project with upside still (C)
    6. Eugene Sims- rotational sub (C)
    7. Marquis Johnson- rotational sub/special teams (C)
    7. George Selvie- non-starter contributor (B)
    7. Josh Hull- practice squad guy (D)

    2010 Score= 2.5 out of 4 (C)

    2009 Draft
    1. Jason Smith- Starter, under-performer (B)
    2. James Laurinaitis- Starter top talent (A)
    3. Bradley Fletcher- Starter, ascending (A)
    4. Dorell Scott- rotational, on the bubble for roster (D)
    5. Brooks Foster- no longer with the team (F)
    6. Keith Null- No longer with he team (F)
    7. Chris Ogbonnaya- No longer with the team (F)

    2009 Score= 1.74 out of 4 (D)
    I think you have to add some sort of scale to the later round picks, because of course most of them are not going to pan out. If you applied this same method to all teams in the NFL, I'm sure you would have similar grades.


    With that out of the way, I feel like the organization deserves a B so far. They hit where they're required to hit (rounds 1 and 2) and they're doing fairly well at finding relative value in the later rounds. They haven't found the late round gems yet, but they're doing a good job at restocking the cupboard. We can't forget about undrafted free agents either. We've found some guys who have earned playing time this year.

    It's important in any case to remember that NO TEAM, hits on every pick, or even most of their picks. Considering that, and where we've come from, I think the organization is doing a good job and is on a path for sustained success.
    Last edited by shower beers; -04-06-2011 at 10:02 AM.

  6. #6
    rNemesis's Avatar
    rNemesis is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nassau
    Age
    29
    Posts
    748
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    I gave the 2009 and 2010 draft class a B+ so far. The reasons being, as you all mentioned, are the ability to pick up talent in the early rounds at the key positions we need, and also a guy like Saffold is a great pick considering what he did for us and where he was rated on the draft board. YES, they are still trying to find the ability to unearth late round gems, but they have done an exceptional job otherwise.

    Having said that, this upcoming draft in 22 days is going to be a huge test for us, because we are no longer picking in the top three, or even top ten for that matter, like we were the first two years that consisted of Despags. So their ability to handle themselves, maneuver around other teams failures and steals, and avoid disappointments and potential busts of their own, is still a concern that has not been proven. Nothing is proven from anybody if they have not done it yet. This is where a large chunk of trust has to be placed in this FO.
    Last edited by rNemesis; -04-06-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Was not finished

  7. #7
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I don't think you can really go A+, as that would suggest almost perfect.

    The drafts were good, don't get me wrong, and the 6 starters that we have got out of the draft have been very good. Although Hoomanawanui needs to stay healthy. Jerome Murphy contributed well at a difficult position even though he had a few failures in coverage.

    However, the later picks haven't necessarily panned out. Brooks Foster, Chris Ogbonnaya, Keith Null and Hall Davis are no longer with the team. Mardy Gilyard could barely get on the field and couldn't get his head around the playbook. Dorell Scott seems to be a reserve at best.

    A+ just seems a little too high for me
    I agree. The drafts were good, but we were picking near the top of each round both years, so one would expect better than average results compared to players we've taken in the same rounds in other years. Rodger Saffold, for example, was taken 33rd overall (2nd round), which puts him closer in draft position to Steven Jackson (1st round, 24th overall) than to say Brian Leonard (2nd round, 53rd overall).

    Out of the 2009 class, Laurinaitis has been a big success, Smith and Fletcher moderate successess, and the rest not very successful. Fletcher still hasn't locked down that long term starting role, and Smith has been good but not quite top 5 pick good. Overall, that's a B in my book.

    Out of the 2010 class (preliminary findings), Bradford and Saffold both look like big successes, while Murphy and Hoomanawanui have potential to possibly start in the future, and others including Onobun, Gilyard and Selvie have contributed as depth players. At this early stage, it looks like an A.

    2 Year Grade: A-

  8. #8
    C-Mob 71's Avatar
    C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerBishop View Post
    Scoring based on round value and grade, with evaluations listed below.

    Many teams would score much lower based on this grading system I think it's important to look at the whole picture though. The trend I see is that we are finding top talent in the early rounds, and avoiding busts, but have the inability to find late round gems.

    2010 Draft

    1. Sam Bradford- Will Be Elite NFL Starter (A)
    2. Rodger Saffold- Top NFC Tackle (A)
    3. Jerome Murphy- Non-starter but a contributor (C)
    4. Mardy Gilyard- Non-starter, possible let-down (D)
    5. Mike Hoomanawanui- Starter, impressive so far (A)
    5. Hall Davis- no longer with the team (F)
    6. Fendi Onobun- Project with upside still (C)
    6. Eugene Sims- rotational sub (C)
    7. Marquis Johnson- rotational sub/special teams (C)
    7. George Selvie- non-starter contributor (B)
    7. Josh Hull- practice squad guy (D)

    2010 Score= 2.5 out of 4 (C)

    2009 Draft
    1. Jason Smith- Starter, under-performer (B)
    2. James Laurinaitis- Starter top talent (A)
    3. Bradley Fletcher- Starter, ascending (A)
    4. Dorell Scott- rotational, on the bubble for roster (D)
    5. Brooks Foster- no longer with the team (F)
    6. Keith Null- No longer with he team (F)
    7. Chris Ogbonnaya- No longer with the team (F)

    2009 Score= 1.74 out of 4 (D)
    No offense, but that is one of the worst rating systems I have ever seen.
    I mean even if you had a time machine, you still won't find very many quality starters in rounds 5-7, and at best teams would only receive a C grading.

    Yayayaya... Tom Brady, OchoCinco, and TJ Houshamomma, those were all stars that didn't get drafted high, but that kind of thing only happens by sheer luck, not skill of drafting players. If the Patriots knew or even had an inkling that tommy boy would be an iota of what he is, they sure as heck wouldn't have waited till the sixth round to draft him.

    The key to the draft is selecting the best possible player available to your team when you are drafting, particularly in the first three rounds. Busting in the first round kills a team, busting in the 5th, 6th, and 7th, meh.

  9. #9
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    I gave them a B+. To get up to an A in my book you have to not only hit early but you need to get some back-up or special teams contributors in the later rounds. We may not have anybody later than round 3 from 2009's draft at the beginning of next season, and Selvie and Uh-Oh are the only guarantees from 2010. I think that's fairly middle-of-the road production for the later rounds overall.

  10. #10
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,530
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    went with a a-

  11. #11
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I think you have to add some sort of scale to the later round picks, because of course most of them are not going to pan out. If you applied this same method to all teams in the NFL, I'm sure you would have similar grades.


    With that out of the way, I feel like the organization deserves a B so far. They hit where they're required to hit (rounds 1 and 2) and they're doing fairly well at finding relative value in the later rounds. They haven't found the late round gems yet, but they're doing a good job at restocking the cupboard. We can't forget about undrafted free agents either. We've found some guys who have earned playing time this year.

    It's important in any case to remember that NO TEAM, hits on every pick, or even most of their picks. Considering that, and where we've come from, I think the organization is doing a good job and is on a path for sustained success.
    I also agree with this. In order to have an A on that scale, you would have to score a 4.0, which would mean that every player you drafted became a starter. If all of the players you drafted either became starters or contributed as depth players, that would only be a B draft on this scale, although it would exceed most realistic expectations. A few late round players don't pan out, and suddenly even if you've landed several starters and depth players, the late rounders could drag the grade down to a C or D. Any realistic analysis of a draft would have to take into account the diminishing rate of return in each round.

    At most positions, you expect a round 1 and 2 guys to be starters. You hope your round 3 guys will be, but beyond round 3, you're generally looking for players who will provide some added value to the team, recognizing that it's more likely that they won't emerge as quality starters than that they will.

  12. #12
    Ramendola16's Avatar
    Ramendola16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    20
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    I'll give it an A-. On my scale, an A ranked draft will produce 3-4 quality starters, and the rest need to be at least solid depth players or special teams contributors. For comparison, by my scale, a good NFL draft usually falls around a B+.

  13. #13
    Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: How would you rate our 2009 and 2010 draft combined?

    I give it a solid B. I believe selvie will take over the re spot and be a beast... He had more sacks than long had in the first 10 games and he wasn't even a starter. And the good teams ALWAYS find gems in the later rounds... It aint luck its good scouting

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: -02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
  2. Please rate my draft, im a FF newbie
    By tomahawk247 in forum FANTASY
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
  3. Rate the 2006 Draft
    By RamsSB99 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -04-23-2007, 09:21 AM
  4. How do you rate the Rams' draft?
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: -04-27-2005, 08:05 PM
  5. How do you rate the Rams' Draft
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-25-2005, 01:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •