Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sparker Guest

How's this for a stud NT/DT????

I was reading through a draft guide and came across a write up on a DT which I thought was intriguing.

"6'4" - 322#'s
    Has rare size and good football intelligence. Is quick off the ball, reads and reacts quickly and neutralizes blockers. Has good foot quickness and agility to move down the line of scrimmage for an in-line tackle. Also has a short burst to the ball and quarterback. Is big and strong and can two-gap and dominate.Has a quick get-off and is hard to block. Fights through traffic and is seldom on the ground. Has a good spin move and excellent motor. Has not missed a game, is productive and athletic. has good feet for a 300+-pounder and has a feel for the ball. Can hold his own against the double-team when he keeps his pads low. Loves the weight room.

Sounds like just what we need.......

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: How's this for a stud NT/DT????

...and who might this guy be?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

MASSIVE Guest

????NAME????:x

viper is offline Registered User

It sounds like Big Red Man to me. But, they didn't mention the kilt...hmmm.

sparker Guest

I did forget to put the name.......SORRY

That was out of the Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide 2003 for Jimmy Kennedy.

MASSIVE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    I did forget to put the name.......SORRY

That was out of the Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide 2003 for Jimmy Kennedy.
    I should have know better! Your point I guess is that there is a risk in any player you draft and they can become a probowler or a heartless fat loser(J.Kennedy).:\ :\ :\

viper is offline Registered User

Based on that scouting report it did sound like just what we were looking for. A classic example of where ones performance in college does not equate in the NFL.

sparker Guest

Actually Viper.....I posted that because of some other threads where I voiced some concerns on Alan Branch. His write up is remarkably similar to that of Kennedy's. Then in the days/weeks leading up to the draft questions began to circulate regarding his "motor and conditioning", just as has begun to happen with Branch. Then after being projected at a Top 5-10 pick (Kennedy was a Top 5 projection), Branch seems to be falling in the draft.

I'm not saying Branch will be another Kennedy. But if the Rams have concerns and he's sitting there when we pick.....I don't think it's an automatic we take him or the Rams will have blundered.

In 2-3 years we will know that. But drafting is not a perfect science, you do your best to view films, talk to the coach, push-poke-prod and time them, run them through drills and interview them. Then you give them a grade and rank them on your draft board. No way I want the Rams to take Branch if he's NOT the best player available when we pick.

To many folks are sold that he fits the position need & size requirements & was at least at one time considered the top at his position so we MUST take him or even trade up to get him....

That's HOGWASH.......

txramsfan is offline Registered User

That's why I think Jenkins from Carolina is less of a risk than any of the rookies if we want to win now. Yes, he's had issues with injuries but he's a proven DT that has had success in this league.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

well played sparker.

Clap. Clap.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    Actually Viper.....I posted that because of some other threads where I voiced some concerns on Alan Branch. His write up is remarkably similar to that of Kennedy's. Then in the days/weeks leading up to the draft questions began to circulate regarding his "motor and conditioning", just as has begun to happen with Branch. Then after being projected at a Top 5-10 pick (Kennedy was a Top 5 projection), Branch seems to be falling in the draft.

I'm not saying Branch will be another Kennedy. But if the Rams have concerns and he's sitting there when we pick.....I don't think it's an automatic we take him or the Rams will have blundered.

In 2-3 years we will know that. But drafting is not a perfect science, you do your best to view films, talk to the coach, push-poke-prod and time them, run them through drills and interview them. Then you give them a grade and rank them on your draft board. No way I want the Rams to take Branch if he's NOT the best player available when we pick.

To many folks are sold that he fits the position need & size requirements & was at least at one time considered the top at his position so we MUST take him or even trade up to get him....

That's HOGWASH.......

Good analysis sparker. That's what happens when teams draft for need only without looking at value.

keith m. klink Guest

Ssssssss.....ooouucchhhh, Damn, That Hurt.

Country Guest

Nice Post

Very Very Sneaky

general counsel is offline Registered User

terrific post, very witty. Actually kennedy was not a need pick, he was the best player available. we already had lewis and pickett, the need was at corner and trufant got taken by seattle right in front of us.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    terrific post, very witty. Actually kennedy was not a need pick, he was the best player available. we already had lewis and pickett, the need was at corner and trufant got taken by seattle right in front of us.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yet another example of why the city that plays home to the origins of grunge music should be blown up.

Kidding. Trufant is terrific.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast