HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUbison's official 11th hour picks

This will all be moot by 1:30 pm Central Time, but here's a few parting pick possibilities before the big dance kicks off.

Here's the Rams 1st round...

1. "How did he drop" pick - AJ Hawk

Don't laugh. This was our pick in the last three drafts (Kennedy, Jackson, Barron). None of those guys were supposed to be there at our spot, yet they were. The Packers are working on a deal to move up, which probably means they are not going after Hawk....if they successfully move. All it would take is for all 3 QBs to go, plus Mario, Huff, Bush, Davis, Brick, and two of three between Ngata, Justice, & Bunkley.

I ain't sayin' it's gonna happen, but stranger things have happened.

2. "Where did he come from" pick - Manny Lawson

One name that I haven't heard bantered about from the FO media contacts is Manny Lawson. Maybe everyone just assumes he is going to a 3-4 D or the 46 in Baltimore, but Linehan (like Martz before him) seems to like smart think-on-their-feet players. Lawson scored a 43 on his Wonderlic, and should be able to pick up on whatever changes are needed for him to fit in Haslett's scheme.

3. "trade up to get him" pick - Michael Huff

This is the most realistic trade up. It wouldn't cost an arm-and-leg to do and Buffalo appears to be more than willing to vacate the #8 spot to do it.

4. "trade down to get him" pick - Bobby Carpenter

And here we have the most realistic trade down selection. We could venture past the teens into the early 20's and still get Carpenter assuming we find a trade partner. To make the trade we will probably have to assume one of the big 3 QBs is open at 11, and all the "linehan wants cutler" talk is just smoke.

5. "Martz made him do it" pick - Chad Jackson

You just know if we pull up with the best receiver in the draft, somehow, somewhere, Martz will be blamed for it.

6. "It's a conspiracy, I tell you" pick - Broderick Bunkley

Haslett likes his DT's quick and athletic, not unlike Lovie years ago. He's got Glover for now, but Bunkley will be contributing early if Glover gets dinged up. However, none of that will matter to the group who believes that the Rams should never again pick a DT in the first since D-Lew, Pickett, and Kennedy didn't meet THEIR expectations.

7. "play it safe" pick - Haloti Ngata

He's the top ranked D-lineman not named Mario, and will most likely be available at 11. It's not a great leap to make this safe pick, and he should fit nicely when Haslett goes into a 3-4 look.

8. "no way can any of HUb's first 7 guesses be correct" pick - Tye Hill

He's a great cover man who will do a good job of manning up on the outside to allow for Haslett's blitz scheme. However, I just don't see the Rams making this pick.....though, ESPN and a large number of the mocks out there will tell me I'm wrong.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: HUbison's official 11th hour picks

Good analysis of viable options, Hubison.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

You forgot

9. ''The Rams dont care about combine workouts'' pick - Chad Greenway

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

8. "no way can any of HUb's first 7 guesses be correct" pick - Tye Hill
    Just goes to show you, I'm always right when I predict being wrong.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod