HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUbison's Rams draft projections

If everybody else is going to throw out one of these, why not me? Surely I can do better than TSN...

Round 1 (19) - Jamaal Brown OT (Oklahoma) - The best pass blocker in college football goes to the team that needs the best pass blocker in college football

Rd. 2 (18-50) - Josh Bullocks FS (Nebraska) - With Thomas Davis showing he has the skills to play S at his pro day, Bullocks will fall to #50. He's a smart playmaker in the secondary and exactly what the Rams need to replace Aeneas.

Rd. 3 (2-66) - Darrant Williams CB (Okie St.) - This may be the Rams annual reach pick. Whispers have it that the Rams love this guy. If the league sticks to their "more skill, less wrestling" approach to pass coverage, he could be a solid nickel, maybe even #2 corner. But he is a top-notch return man with amazing speed and agility.

Rd. 3 (17-81) - Ray Willis OT (Fl. State) - The Rams finally leave the Big 12 with their 4th pick. If Brown is not there in the 1st, this pick is a sure thing, if not 15 slots earlier. Willis is a solid RT who can handle a bull rush from any DE in the league. Speed rushers will give him some problems, but his run blocking is second to none. While Bulger will enjoy the Brown pick, this pick will excite Jackson and Faulk.

Rd. 4 (16-117) - George Gause DE (S Carolina) - Gause was disappointed to see 11 DEs go on Day 1 without his name being called, but he doesn't have to wait long on Day 2. He's a run stopper from the DE spot. He won't rack up Little sack numbers, but will stuff any RB that heads his way.

Rd. 4 (33-134 comp.) - Robert McCune ILB (Louisville) - The rise of other ILBs like Adam Seward and Kirk Morrison has pushed the Combine's physical freak of nature into the 4th round. The fact that he is a 26-year-old rookie with limited experience pushes him into the comp. picks at the end of the round. But hey, he literally is the fastest and strongest ILB in the entire draft. The Rams will take a chance on him.

Rd. 5 (19-155) - Joel Dressen TE (Colo. St.) - Dressen finds himself in a weak TE class that nobody is too interested in this year. No one is excited about the TE prospects as a whole and Dressen finds himself available in the 5th. He's a good receiver, but needs to work on his blocking. Will compete with Jenson as our #3 TE, unless he shows that he can fit into the H-back role.

Rd. 6 (18-192) - CJ Brooks OG/OT (Maryland) - Brooks has the versatility that Martz likes in his young O-lineman. His natural position is guard, but he could play tackle if needed. Great heart and a nasty disposition on the field, solid but not great as both run blocker and pass blocker.

Rd. 6 (36-210) - Sione Pouha DT (Utah) - The Anti-Martzites go ape nuts with the Rams 2nd 26-year-old rookie draft choice. Pouha is a solid run stuffer inside. He won't get to the QB much, but will be the perfect back-up to give Pickett a breather. Great character and team leader.

Rd. 7 (17-231) - Ryan Fitzpatrick QB (Harvard) - Not a great arm, but Martz drafts Fitzpatrick for his brain. He is a tremendous technician that reads and disects defenses with the best of them. His limited physical abilities are compensated by his reading ability. It was good enough to lead Harvard to an undefeated season last year.

Rd. 7 (36-251) - Brandon Jacobs RB (Southern Illinois) - Was 3rd string at Auburn behind Williams and Brown before transferring to SIU. In a draft filled with "tweeners", Jacobs is the best example of a RB/FB tweener. At 260 pounds, he is a massive load in the backfield. He is still raw playing as a backup at Auburn until dominating against D I-AA opponents last year. Will be a project, but could be a very exciting experiment for Martz to work with.

Rd. 7 (37-252) - Jeb Huckeba DE/OLB (Arkansas) - While Matt Jones gets all the Razorback press Huckeba has quietly made a name for himself in the SEC. He was 1st team All-SEC last season and considered (according to TSN) to be the top run stopping DE in the SEC (ahead of Pollack, Spears, etc.). He will have to put on some weight, and could still project to OLB where he played his 1st two years. Solid character and team leader.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: HUbison's Rams draft projections

HUB

I like your first four picks and I love Robert McCune and Joel Dressen looks good do you think CJ Brooks will last till the 6 round and not sure about the rest

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles
    HUB

I like your first four picks and I love Robert McCune and Joel Dressen looks good do you think CJ Brooks will last till the 6 round and not sure about the rest
    If you ask me, anything past the 1st round is an absolute guess, be it lowly me or the almighty Mel Kiper, pure speculation. But since we are just hypothesizing here...yea, I think Brooks is there in round 6. I don't think he's in the top 10 of OGs in this draft. I see 4 or 5 going on the 1st day (Baas, Brown, Johnson, Mankins & maybe Mathis), but there will still be 4 or 5 more in front of him on Day 2. He's a solid prospect and more of a run blocker than the other young guards we have, but I don't think he'll go in the top 5 rounds.

And as far as...
    not sure about the rest
    ...anyone that tells you they are sure about the rest is trying to sell you something.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    yea, I think Brooks is there in round 6.

If thats true lets hope the rams pick him I think he could be a good player
    especially in round 6

rampete is offline Registered User

a lot of time and effort must have gone in to this hubison, nice work...

if the rams first day goes as you think, it would be a coup de grace...

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    a lot of time and effort must have gone in to this hubison, nice work...

if the rams first day goes as you think, it would be a coup de grace...
    Thanks.

I think it's possible. There may have to be a slip here or there, but it's possible.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I like the selections, but I don't think guys like Robert McCune, Joel Dressen, and CJ Brooks will last as long as you have them on the board. Still, if they did and we grabbed them, I would be excited.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I like the selections, but I don't think guys like Robert McCune, Joel Dressen, and CJ Brooks will last as long as you have them on the board. Still, if they did and we grabbed them, I would be excited.
    Well, I guess we'll see in 15 short days. Man, I love this time of year. It's better than Christmas. Draft weekend is the best.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nice job. I was going to say that I agree with Nick that you have a few players falling too low, but then, what the Hell do I know. :redface:

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Nice job. I was going to say that I agree with Nick that you have a few players falling too low, but then, what the Hell do I know. :redface:
    Okay, I will admit that maybe, maybe I was a little too liberal in calculating the availability of some players, but I don't think it's too far off. Of course, with my luck, none of these guys will wear the horns.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

i do like B Jacobs from So. Il.