Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUb's 1st overall & Ram's 1st four rounds.

#1. Miami - Chris Long - Sorry, folks, but this guy has Parcells' (and Ireland's) boy written all over him.

....so where does that leave us?

#2 - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio St. - Nick turned me on to this idea. I'm still not sold on it, but there is no, I repeat NO pass rush threat on this team. I doubt Little will ever be Little again. Hall is an old Adeyanju. Adeyanju is just a young Hall. Carriker is our UT.

I just don't see a true pass rusher on this team, which leaves us with the best true pass rusher in the draft. I love what he did against Michigan and Wisconsin, but where was he the rest of the year?

We're not going to get value from other picks, and Gholston could be the rush we need. I guess we'll see.

2nd round - Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt - He's not going to show as well as other OTs at the combine, so he may fall to the #33 spot. But if not one of the others (Baker, Williams, Cherilus, etc.) will be.

3rd round - Donnie Avery, WR, Houston - He's never going to be a #1, but he is the vertical threat we don't have.

4th round - Red Bryant, NT, Tex A&M - If Haslett is serious about more 3-4, he will need something more than Ryan in the middle. Bryant may not make it this far, but if he's there, it'd be a safe pickup.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: HUb's 1st overall & Ram's 1st four rounds.

like the draft. It looks like you think the chances are high we switch to the 3-4. I can't really see Otah there. Red Bryant might be the top NT in the class i think a team like the browns will snag him earlier. Athyba Rubin and Frank Okam who has fallen are more viable options

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm sorry to say that Long going first overall definitely seems possible if not likely. Guess all those folks saying he wasn't a top pick back in the summer were wrong, eh?

That said, at this point I can't see Gholston being a viable #2 pick, as I don't see the value there either. I feel we need a pass rusher in the 1st round as much as anyone else, but I'm not sure if he's a top 5 pick. SI's Don Banks has him at #7 to the Pats, but unless his combine is awesome I don't see us taking him even if Long is gone.

I still think it's a possibility that we pick up Dorsey or Ellis and move Carriker outside, though I know he won't be the real speed threat we need. Of course, nothing I say has anything to do with what Gholston will actually be in the NFL and for all we know he could be the best DE to come out of this draft, it's all a crapshoot.

To move away from DE, I whole heartedly agree that one of the 1st round projected OT's will be there at 33 and we should pick them up definitely.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    #1. Miami - Chris Long - Sorry, folks, but this guy has Parcells' (and Ireland's) boy written all over him.

....so where does that leave us?

#2 - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio St. - Nick turned me on to this idea. I'm still not sold on it, but there is no, I repeat NO pass rush threat on this team. I doubt Little will ever be Little again. Hall is an old Adeyanju. Adeyanju is just a young Hall. Carriker is our UT.

I just don't see a true pass rusher on this team, which leaves us with the best true pass rusher in the draft. I love what he did against Michigan and Wisconsin, but where was he the rest of the year?

We're not going to get value from other picks, and Gholston could be the rush we need. I guess we'll see.

2nd round - Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt - He's not going to show as well as other OTs at the combine, so he may fall to the #33 spot. But if not one of the others (Baker, Williams, Cherilus, etc.) will be.

3rd round - Donnie Avery, WR, Houston - He's never going to be a #1, but he is the vertical threat we don't have.

4th round - Red Bryant, NT, Tex A&M - If Haslett is serious about more 3-4, he will need something more than Ryan in the middle. Bryant may not make it this far, but if he's there, it'd be a safe pickup.
    HUb .. Are you saying we take Gholston at #2 overall if C.Long is gone? I'll bet the Rams hedge their bet by signing a decent DE in free agency. For now, #2 overall seems to high to take Gholston ..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    HUb .. Are you saying we take Gholston at #2 overall if C.Long is gone? I'll bet the Rams hedge their bet by signing a decent DE in free agency. For now, #2 overall seems to high to take Gholston ..
    Again, I'm not saying I'm sold on it.......yet. However, I could easily seeing it happen. What I don't see happening is signing a decent DE in free agency. There just isn't one out there with the money we got.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I really hope there's a better option than taking Gholston at #2 overall.

What if we take Dorsey, move Carriker, then try to take a pure pass rusher in round 2 or 3? It seems that this is a draft board that's begging to have the Rams take an OT with our 2nd rounder, so maybe that leaves round 3?

Are there any decent DE pass rushing prospects we could grab in round 3 or so? I don't really like this idea all that much, just throwing it out there.

As a worst case scenario, Carriker and Little would still be a big upgrade over what we had last year. Then maybe use next year's #1 to draft a pass rushing DE?

It's definitely a tough spot.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

I like it. remember what people were saying about Mario two years ago before the combine, I believe he was supposed to be 5-15 pick, and he ended up no 1. Now I'm not saying Gholston will do the same, but you never know. As for later in the draft (5-7round) maybe take a waiver on Tommy Blake out of TCU, that is if he has gotten his act together.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I agree with you. I'm not sold on the idea of getting Gholston...but I don't think there is anyone better for THE RAMS.

We're in a tight spot right now, if the Phins take Long...we need to go to Free Agency for some upgrades I think. If we move Carriker to DE, we may make a bad move with that. I believe keeping Carriker at DT and signing a DE would be best..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nice job, HUb.

I think Gholston is a viable option, particularly if he, as I expect he will, runs a sub-4.7 40.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Another plus to taking Gholston is that he provides Hasbeen, I mean Haslett flexibility with the defense. He could be used as a DE in a 4-3 defense or a OLB in a 3-4. It might be intriguing to have the Rams change up the D during games next season just to throw off the opponent's offensive continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I really hope there's a better option than taking Gholston at #2 overall.

What if we take Dorsey, move Carriker, then try to take a pure pass rusher in round 2 or 3? It seems that this is a draft board that's begging to have the Rams take an OT with our 2nd rounder, so maybe that leaves round 3?

Are there any decent DE pass rushing prospects we could grab in round 3 or so? I don't really like this idea all that much, just throwing it out there.

As a worst case scenario, Carriker and Little would still be a big upgrade over what we had last year. Then maybe use next year's #1 to draft a pass rushing DE?

It's definitely a tough spot.
    The problem is that we can't afford any luxury picks in this draft. We can't just say, "Well, Long is gone, lets just pick this guy". We need to get a dominant starter there and can't afford to pick a lesser need sacrificing our third pick to make up for it when we need that pick for either a WR or a SS in my opinion.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I like it.

And I like Gholston at that position solely for the reason you cited. We have no pass rush, and Gholston certainly looks to be able to bring that. If we took him, I'd see it as a similar situation to Arizona and Levi Brown last year. Was Brown the 5th best player overall? Probably no. Was he a top 8-15 talent who purported to fill an immediate need? Most definately.

SweRam is offline Registered User

Hey
    Been reading this forum and another forum for a couple of weeks now, this will be my first post on both. Just want to make it clear this will be my dream draft and free agency, but I dont think it will be completely unrealistic.

FA
    Briggs Lb
    Jeff Fain C
    Derek Smith LB
    Sopoaga NT

Draft
    Round 1 Trade down to 4-7 range and pick up an extra 2 rounder
    1. Gholston DE
    2A. Branden Albert G
    2B. Best WR or Corner that slipped through round 1, I will but Sweed wr or CB rodgers-cromartie, Im saying Rodger- Cromatie but happy with either or something close, hoping decent wr will slip (see round 6)
    3. Big right tackel to take over for barron if pace goeas down again,Nicks, Cherilous, Richardson, Newberry in that order.
    4. Josh Barrett SS fight with Chavous hopefully start
    5. QB Josh Johnson
    6. Same as 2B but opposite WR or CB with promise hopefully Wr Monk or Urrutia has slipped this far or CB Ikegwuono
    7.Fb Cox

O

LT Pace, Barron
    LG Albert, Setterstrom
    C, Fain, Fry, McCollum
    RG Cogs, Setterstrom
    RT Barron, Nicks or whoever we get

QB Bulger, Johnson , veteran
    RB Jackson, Pittman, Leonard
    FB Cox, Leonard

WR1 Holt, Monk
    WR2 Bennet, Monk
    Wr 3 Bruce, Hall

Defence 4-3

RDE Gholston, Hall
    DT Carriker, Glover
    DT Ryan, Sopoaga
    LDE LL, Adeyanju

OLB Briggs, Culberson
    MLB Soon, Smith
    OLB PISA, Draft

CB Hill, Wade, bartell
    CB Brown, Rodgers Cromartie
    SS Barrett, Chavous
    FS Atogwe

3-4

DE CArriker
    NT Sopoaga
    DE Ryan

OLB Gholston
    MLB Briggs
    MLB Spoon
    OLB LL

This is, 1 top FA, 1 good and 2 that we should be able to get, a small trade down and a little luck in the draft, dont think it all will happen, as I said, my dream offseason that IMO is not completely unrealistic.
    What do you think?

rammiser is offline Registered User

I think we will end up with Chris Long with our first pick. That being said I was just watching Mayock on the NFL network and he thinks that Kenny Phillips may slip into the early second round. If he is there when we pick I would love to see us pick him. He is in my and a lot of peoples opinion the best safety in the draft and if we end up with Long and Phillips at 1 and 2 it would be a very promising start to our draft.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I like it.

And I like Gholston at that position solely for the reason you cited. We have no pass rush, and Gholston certainly looks to be able to bring that. If we took him, I'd see it as a similar situation to Arizona and Levi Brown last year. Was Brown the 5th best player overall? Probably no. Was he a top 8-15 talent who purported to fill an immediate need? Most definately.
    Levi Brown was a top 10 player like Gholston is now, I'll agree. However, there's a difference in reaching from number 5 to get a top 10 than from number 2 to get a top 10 and not top 5. That''s all I'm saying. If we can drop down a few spots, say to number 5, I'd have no issue at all taking Gholston, as value is there like it isn't at number 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast