Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: HUb's 1st overall & Ram's 1st four rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I think we will end up with Chris Long with our first pick. That being said I was just watching Mayock on the NFL network and he thinks that Kenny Phillips may slip into the early second round. If he is there when we pick I would love to see us pick him. He is in my and a lot of peoples opinion the best safety in the draft and if we end up with Long and Phillips at 1 and 2 it would be a very promising start to our draft.
    And that's the kind of thing that we can afford if we can settle two questions involving the offensive line. First, who are we keeping, and how healthy are our returning guys? Second, what moderately priced free agent(s) can we get to shore up tackle and guard. I would love to be able to grab either a safety or a wide receiver with our second pick, but the offensive line is a higher priority in my mind. A day one starting SS is tempting though...

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    The problem is that we can't afford any luxury picks in this draft. We can't just say, "Well, Long is gone, lets just pick this guy". We need to get a dominant starter there and can't afford to pick a lesser need sacrificing our third pick to make up for it when we need that pick for either a WR or a SS in my opinion.
    Again, I'm not sold on the idea, I was just throwing it out there. But Dorsey is not a "luxury" pick and is definitely a dominant starter. Adding Dorsey and moving Carriker could instantly improve our defensive line on two spots - UT and DE.

The question is where would we lose more value - moving Carriker from tackle to end, or taking Gholston over Dorsey? IMO it would be in taking Gholston.

rammiser is offline Registered User

And that's the kind of thing that we can afford if we can settle two questions involving the offensive line. First, who are we keeping, and how healthy are our returning guys? Second, what moderately priced free agent(s) can we get to shore up tackle and guard. I would love to be able to grab either a safety or a wide receiver with our second pick, but the offensive line is a higher priority in my mind. A day one starting SS is tempting though...
    Thank you, you are exactly right. I'm hoping we get some free agent depth for our o-line so we can pick up some other glaring needs for our team.

1st-Chris Long, DE
    2nd-Kenny Phillips, S
    3rd-Adarius Bowman, WR

I would consider that a very successful 1st day. Some that dont like Bowman you can plug Avery in there and its still a very good 1st day.
    Just Fix It

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Thank you, you are exactly right. I'm hoping we get some free agent depth for our o-line so we can pick up some other glaring needs for our team.

1st-Chris Long, DE
    2nd-Kenny Phillips, S
    3rd-Adarius Bowman, WR

I would consider that a very successful 1st day. Some that dont like Bowman you can plug Avery in there and its still a very good 1st day.
    I'd think that was an extremely good first day too, especially since the draft has changed and now only the first two rounds are on day one!

rammiser is offline Registered User

I'd think that was an extremely good first day too, especially since the draft has changed and now only the first two rounds are on day one!

LOL, when did it change? Werent the first 3 rounds on day one last year? Well any way it would be a good first three rounds.
    Just Fix It

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I'm just not sold on Gholston at all. I would take Dorsey and Ellis before him just because they seem like the more sure thing, and I just really question whether Gholston is worth the 2nd pick. He was an inconsistent player and seems really one dimensional to me.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39 View Post
    I'm just not sold on Gholston at all. I would take Dorsey and Ellis before him just because they seem like the more sure thing, and I just really question whether Gholston is worth the 2nd pick. He was an inconsistent player and seems really one dimensional to me.
    I have all those same concerns, RJ. I'd say let's wait for the combine, but I think we can all agree that Gholston will probably put up crazy numbers, so how much of an impact should that have? I don't know.

As I've stated elsewhere, I love what VG did against UM and UW this year, but where was he otherwise? Maybe he has the highest upside, but is this the coaching staff that is capable of maximizing that potential, AND do we want to roll the dice with the #2 pick?

It's frustrating. On one hand, the Rams can't mess this up; they just take the 2nd person on their board. On the other hand, with this year's crop that board must look like some kind of amoeba.

The draft......it's like nailing Jell-O to a wall.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12