Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUb's 1st & Ram's 1st four. v2.0

1. Miami - Jake Long - After looking at their roster, they have 5 legitimate 3-4OLBs (Torbor, Taylor, Roth, Moses, Ninkovich). And they have exactly 1 legitimate OT (Carey). The only other OTs on the roster are Trey Darilek and Julius Wilson......ZERO career starts between them.

2. Rams - Chris Long - I know that some now want to see VG here, but Long is the more polished and complete player. VG may be able to bench 1000 pounds and run 40 yards in 2 milliseconds, but his (in)ability to stop the run and rep for taking plays off makes me nervous.

I'm not going to scream death and gloom from the mountaintops if VG is the pick, but I think Long is the better choice.

2nd round - Mario Manningham - Should be the vertical threat this team needs. The '08 WR crop is a weird one. There's no true "1st rounders", but up to 4 teams in the bottom half of the first could take one. It's just a question of which 4 receivers come off the board.

3rd round - Anthony Collins - Still raw, but has experience on both ends of the line.

4th round - Craig Stetz - Solid run stopping SS

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: HUb's 1st & Ram's 1st four. v2.0

Looks good. Jake Long to Miami is a definite possibiliti for the reasons you pointed out. Overall I like the direction of all of our picks. One thing I thought I'd point out though...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    VG may be able to bench 1000 pounds and run 40 yards in 2 milliseconds, but his (in)ability to stop the run and rep for taking plays off makes me nervous.
    I think both of these issues are slightly overblown, particularly the latter. When it comes to stopping the run, I think Gholston does a solid job. He's a very strong player for a guy of his size and speed, and I think he does a very good job in pursuit. I don't think he'll ever be a great run stuffer at the point of attack, but I think he does better in this area than perceived. In '07, he led Ohio State in stops behind the line of scrimmage, and opponents gained only 41 yards on 35 running plays towards his side of the line.

Moreover, criticisms about his taking plays off or not having a great motor seem to be mixed at best. While I've seen reports that have criticized him for inconsistency and taking plays off, there are also other reports that refer to him as a high character high motor player that gives it his all on the field.

Citing NFL Draft Countdown, "Has an outstanding motor" and "A hard worker with top intangibles." Citing NFL Draft Scout, "Plays with a high motor and shows a natural feel for the game... Self-starter with a great passion for the game and is a hard worker in the training room...While very confident in his ability, he is also a humble character with no off-field issues." Also, "Can be fooled by misdirection and while he gives total effort, he sometimes can't find the ball until it is past him."

So the jury seems to be out on that one. I suppose one could say that since there isn't a consensus that he's a high motor player, that is still cause for concern. Perhaps that's the case. But I tend to put a lot of weight into the opinions of Scott Wright and the guys at Draft Scout, who incidentally provide draft prospect analysis for the NFL's website, and I've yet to see a lot of compelling evidence that shows Gholston taking plays off.

keith m. klink Guest

i love you guy's . !

Nick, I sure hope you're right, because VG very easily could be a Ram.
    I think both of these issues are slightly overblown, particularly the latter.
    I am curious about one thing though.
    opponents gained only 41 yards on 35 running plays towards his side of the line.
    In that Leo position, what exactly is "his side"?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I love it. It's great all the way down. You've given good reasons why these guys can be picked up by us.

I do think that if Chris Long isnt available that VG will be in a Ram's uniform.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

1. Miami - Jake Long - After looking at their roster, they have 5 legitimate 3-4OLBs (Torbor, Taylor, Roth, Moses, Ninkovich).
    Shouldn't Joey Porter be on this list also? And, not to pick, but how can you say that Jason Taylor is a legitimate OLB when he has never played the position in his career in Miami given that they have been a 4-3 team throughout his tenure there?

OBTW an excellent mock overall!! We can only hope to live so long to have our draft fall to us like this.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Shouldn't Joey Porter be on this list also? And, not to pick, but how can you say that Jason Taylor is a legitimate OLB when he has never played the position in his career in Miami given that they have been a 4-3 team throughout his tenure there?

OBTW an excellent mock overall!! We can only hope to live so long to have our draft fall to us like this.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I'd say he's more a 3-4 OLB than a 3-4 End. Agreed?

And while I'm not sure if the Fins have run a 3-4 in the past decade, I do know that Taylor has played downs in a 2-pt. stance. It would be an adjustment, but I bet he could do it. If the Fins don't shop him, we'll find out if he can.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Leo means left end

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I'm not sure of Collins availability in the third round, but anything is possible

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I'd say he's more a 3-4 OLB than a 3-4 End. Agreed?
    I would say that the best position for him would be the one he's been playing all these years, DE in a 4-3. That said, however, he is certainly not big enough to play DE in a 3-4, so, yes, OLB in a 3-4 would be his next best position.
    Finally, do you have any info on whether Joey Porter is still in the mix in Miami? If so it may be another strong indicator that Parcells just might NOT steal..er...draft Chris Long away from the Rams.

WHAT SAY YE?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Leo means left end
    Actually, Leo is the name of the special linebacker/end position that Ohio State's defensive coordinator developed specifically for Gholston. I never paid much attention to Ohio State this season and so I'm not real sure what they played but I would imagine that it was a hybrid 3-4.

As for the Dolphins' linebacker wealth, I've been mentioning that in the mock draft threads. In free agency they went after multiple linebackers, which makes sense, as they are going to try to go to a 3-4 this year. They need linebackers. However, since Jason Taylor is a smaller, speed end, so it makes sense that he'd move out to OLB. I forget if Parcells runs a one gap or a two gap, but I think he runs a two gap(meaning each of the defensive linemen are responsible for clogging two gaps), which certainly means that Taylor should move out. They only got one guard from the Whiners and lost their starting right tackle and his backup because they RELEASED them and so they're still down two OT's. Carey is said to be a right tackle in a left tackle's clothes, and so it makes perfect sense that they would move him back to RT and draft Long to be a LT.

keith m. klink Guest

And i will take what is behind TEKE's door BOB . thank you so much ! psst i mentioned weeks ago that the PHINS would take JAKE because they pretty much cut off half the o-line i think by now . they either have a few options to trade already to grab more picks and cover those holes or they will just wait until cuts are made or maybe PARCELLS will dangle that pick for some veteran lineman and some picks a little later . hhmmmm ?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

You're right Klink, you've been saying it too. I'm sure that Parcells knows exactly what he's doing as he's always put together a good team everywhere he lands. The issue is just how he intends on acquiring his offensive line. Since the NFL isn't a trade happy league usually, especially with quality tackles, he either thinks someone that can play (and start) RT will be cut or he has a trade in mind. Though with offseason workouts starting up, I would think he'd have been on the horn by now trying to get them in so that they can start working out with their new linemates.

It all adds up to Jake Long in my book. And Klinks. Tried to rep, but still need to spread love. Anyone want rep love?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I would say that the best position for him would be the one he's been playing all these years, DE in a 4-3. That said, however, he is certainly not big enough to play DE in a 3-4, so, yes, OLB in a 3-4 would be his next best position.
    Finally, do you have any info on whether Joey Porter is still in the mix in Miami? If so it may be another strong indicator that Parcells just might NOT steal..er...draft Chris Long away from the Rams.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Actually he spent his first three years at UVA as a 3-4 end. His senior year, he played a mix of 3-4 end and 4-3 end. I believe sometimes he was spread out wide, but not actually off the ground.

However, make no mistake, he spent the vast majority of his career as a 3-4 End.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Leo means left end
    Well no, it's akin to Haslett's Buck end position. Here's the answer from Ohio State beat writer for the Columbus newspaper, Ken Gordon....
    Leo is OSUís name for a hybrid rush-drop defensive end. They run a fair amount of zone blitz, and sometimes the Leo drops into coverage. Itís sort of like what Mike Vrabel does for New England, kind of a big, versatile outside linebacker-type. Or Adalius Thomas. Gholston was solid against the run, nothing spectacular. He doesnít miss many tackles, and his strength is chasing to the outside. Heís got speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)