Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HUb's final 2014 mock draft

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUb's final 2014 mock draft

Happy Draft Eve everyone!!! Enjoy.

1. Houston Texans - Jadeveon Clowney, DE / OLB / Nubian god of all things physical and motors questionable - When it's all said and done, the Texans go with Fitzgerald at QB this year, guaranteeing a 2015 need for QB. They take the physical freak and line him up opposite of Watt for what should be a formidable pass rush.

2. TRADE - Cleveland Browns - Johnny Manziel, QB / public relations guru - Nobody believes the Manziel to the Rams thing, do they? Well, the Browns have been known to move up based on smokescreens (see Trent Richardson), and they do need a QB to bring this roster together. Maybe Johnny Overhyped is the answer to jumpstart this franchise.

3. Jax Jaguars - Sammy Watkins, WR - There may not be a Justin Blackmon next year, or possibly ever. They have to have a playmaker on that offense. Watkins is the answer, even if they do get Blackmon back at some point.

4. St. Louis Rams - Greg Robinson, OT - (We get the Browns' #35 and #83) I think Jake Long comes back from this latest injury, but he's not a fine wine. He's not going to get better with age. Couple that with the fact that we have nothing that can even pretend to be a starting LG right now and Robinson becomes the immediate answer at LG, and pushes outside once Long is done.

5. TRADE - Buffalo Bills - Mike Evans, WR - The Bills have several solid #2 and #3 WRs for EJ Manuel, but no true #1 to heat up the passing attack. If they could sit at #9 and take Evans, they would, but the Raiders are looking to trade down, and this is a good spot to do it.

6. Atlanta Falcons - Jake Matthews, OT - The Falcons need help at OT, and Matthews falls to them at #6. Lots of talk around the ol' interweb linking Matthews to the Falcons.

7. Tampa Bay Bucs - Odell Beckham, WR - WHAT? Beckham at #7? He appears to be soaring through the offseason, and in fact, there's talk of the whiners moving up to the top 10 for Beckham. The Bucs need a WR, and obviously were hoping for either Watkins or Evans. But barring a trade, Beckham is a fine consolation.

8. Minnesota Vikings - Blake Bortles, QB - They have Ponder and Cassell. Yea, I'd draft a QB too.

9. Oakland Raiders - Khalil Mack, DE/OLB - The Raiders take BPA after trading down with the Bills, and are rewarded for it. They will hear their phone ringing from teams looking to trade up, but ultimately they get a top 5 talent plus extra picks.

10. Detroit Lions - Justin Gilbert, CB - I've heard some talk about the Lions going after a WR or even a DT (like Aaron Donald), but these seem like more luxury picks than need. They have okay corners, but they will see Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, and now Blake Bortles for 6 games every year. They need to solidify their secondary.

11. Tennessee Titans - Anthony Barr, DE/OLB - The Titans are making the shift to a 3-4 with new coach Ken Whisenhunt. As we all know, a shift to the 3-4 has to start with a bigger interior, and a faster exterior. They brought in Shaun Phillips for one side, but Anthony Barr will do will on the other side. RB is a bigger need, but the value is with Barr.

12. N.Y. Giants - Eric Ebron, TE - The Giants have nothing, and I mean nothing at TE. Ebron has drawn comparisons to Vernon Davis in both ability and attitude. There's a few red flags, but the Giants have to take the top TE target for Manning.

13. TRADE - Dallas Cowboys - Aaron Donald - The Cowboys D-line generated 26 sacks last year, and now 17 of those 26 sacks (Ware & Hatcher) are on different teams. They need an interior pass rush and that's what Donald brings to the table. They could have rolled the dice and hoped for Donald to fall, but there's a very real risk that the Rams could have taken Clinton-Dix leaving Donald open for the Bears. The 'Boys had to jump up to #13 to stop that.

14. Chicago Bears - Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS - They have to replace Major Wright, and I don't see that on the roster. There's a big hole at Safety for the Bears, and HCD is an immediate starter.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Darquez Dennard, CB - They were not able to handle top receivers at all last year. They brought in Brice McCain in the offseason, but that's not nearly enough to solidify their CB position. Dennard is a physical (maybe too physical) corner who will disrupt routes and give the Steelers pass rush time to get to the QB.

16. St. Louis Rams - Kyle Fuller, CB - (Rams receive #78 and lose #153 in the trade with Cowboys) The Rams need to sure up the CB position. Jenkins and Johnson are both solid, and are no where near topping out. But Fuller is a legitimate 1st round talent that plays man press and zone equally well. Don't be surprised if he drops back to centerfield in some sets as well.

Rams picks...

35 - Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG
    44 - Jimmie Ward, FS
    75 - Tre Mason, RB
    78 - Christian Jones, OLB
    83 - Martavius Bryant, WR
    110 - AJ McCarron, QB
    188 - Kapri Bibbs, RB
    214 - Jay Bromley, DT
    226 - Jon Dowling, S
    241 - Russell Bodine, C
    249 - Colt Lyerla, TE
    250 - Aaron Lynch, DE
    Richbert88 and clarasDK like this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: HUb's final 2014 mock draft

I'm AvengerRam, and I approve of this Mock Draft.

Unspoken is offline Registered User

I would be more then happy with this draft.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Need more OL picks in this draft than 2 IMO. Need legit competition along the line.

As I take a step back and look at that 1st 16 picks, I'm quite surprised Lewan and Martin did not find their way in. There's a couple of places they could have, but didn't. Surprising.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    Need more OL picks in this draft than 2 IMO. Need legit competition along the line.
    To be accurate, there are 3 OL picks.....Robinson, Sua-Filo, and Bodine.

But, yea, there were a couple of places I considered another lineman (big fan of Billy Turner). Ultimately, I just need/value at a different place. At some point, I would have just been drafting bodies, as the picks would not have provided much more than what's already on the roster.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I think you knocked this one out of the park, HUb.

Heh! Cut and paste and e mail it to Earth City and I would be pretty happy!

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    To be accurate, there are 3 OL picks.....Robinson, Sua-Filo, and Bodine.

But, yea, there were a couple of places I considered another lineman (big fan of Billy Turner). Ultimately, I just need/value at a different place. At some point, I would have just been drafting bodies, as the picks would not have provided much more than what's already on the roster.
    Missed the Center. Getting dressed for work. I'm not worried about the center getting injured. It's always tackle and guards that do and leave a void.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If you take Robinson and plan on him playing LG, where does Xavier Su'a-Filo play for the next 2 years?

I'd rather skip the trade with Dallas and draft Dennard or keep Donald for ourselves even though I'm not a major fan.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -05-07-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    If you take Robinson and plan on him playing LG, where does Xavier Su'a-Filo play for the next 2 years?

I'd rather skip the trade with Dallas and draft Dennard or keep Donald for ourselves even though I'm not a major fan.
    I know you are asking Hub, but heck if we got Xavier and Robinson. We could play Xavier at RG and Robinson at RT day one. Worst case move Robinson to RT and start Xavier at guard year two. If J Long can't make it back year two could be Robinson at LT, Xavier at Guard and Joe Barksdale at RT.

I like the mock and really like the combo of Xavier and Robinson, gives us the depth we need to be dominate on the O line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I know you are asking Hub, but heck if we got Xavier and Robinson. We could play Xavier at RG and Robinson at RT day one. Worst case move Robinson to RT and start Xavier at guard year two. If J Long can't make it back year two could be Robinson at LT, Xavier at Guard and Joe Barksdale at RT.

I like the mock and really like the combo of Xavier and Robinson, gives us the depth we need to be dominate on the O line.
    So you are moving Saffold to LG because Xavier is a RG?

So you are moving Saffold to LG because Xavier is a RG?
    No typo... Saffold stays put. In fact it would not be good to have two rookies working next to each other.

No typo... Saffold stays put. In fact it would not be good to have two rookies working next to each other.
    So was it a typo that you assume a guy who's never played RT in his life will beat out a player with NFL experience and played well at the position?

So was it a typo that you assume a guy who's never played RT in his life will beat out a player with NFL experience and played well at the position?
    No I don't think it will be a challenge for Robinson to play RT and beat out Barksdale at RT. Considering a second round player like Saffold played LT in college never played RT and did well... then moved to guard.

I take it you don't think he can play RT?

No I don't think it will be a challenge for Robinson to play RT and beat out Barksdale at RT. Considering a second round player like Saffold played LT in college never played RT and did well... then moved to guard.

I take it you don't think he can play RT?
    Comparing Saffold to Robinson.
    Most would say Barksdale beat out Saffold at RT.

I have no clue if Robinson can play at a high level at any position in the NFL because of his limited pass blocking production at Auburn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast