Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HUb's final 2014 mock draft

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: HUb's final 2014 mock draft

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    If you take Robinson and plan on him playing LG, where does Xavier Su'a-Filo play for the next 2 years?

I'd rather skip the trade with Dallas and draft Dennard or keep Donald for ourselves even though I'm not a major fan.
    Fair question. If Robinson and XSF are fighting for the same time at the same spot (in this case LG), then certain other things will have to happen:

1. Jake Long will have to be at full speed from week 1.
    2. Saffold will be healthy and established as the RG.
    3. Barksdale will be the better option over Robinson for RT.

If all of those things happen, then I have no problem with the two rookies competing over the LG position. But I think we can expect at least some time missed for both Jake Long and Rodger Saffold this year. And, as Nick has pointed out, Long may not even be here in 2015.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Comparing Saffold to Robinson.
    Most would say Barksdale beat out Saffold at RT.

I have no clue if Robinson can play at a high level at any position in the NFL because of his limited pass blocking production at Auburn.
    Ok well that makes sense if you don't think he's the real deal. My take is if we take him at two he better be able to play LT as well as RT if needed.

The point I was trying to make is the best five will play and having more talent can't hurt.

Sorry Hub... back to your mock.

general counsel is offline Registered User

If Donald is on the board at 13, i think we are going to have to get paid a lot to move out of that spot.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I realize I'm in the minority but I'd rather have KNOWN commodities in Matthews and Lewan over a project.

Jim Thomas estimated Eric Fisher would be the 4th lineman taken this year. I think if Lewan didn't have off the field problems, he'd be the #1 OT in the draft. Lewan is far more experienced, faster, almost as strong (3 reps?) and equal or better athlete.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

It will be hard for me knowing we had Donald and passed on him, but I see the logic behind the mock and can't argue too much against it. Well done!!!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I realize I'm in the minority but I'd rather have KNOWN commodities in Matthews and Lewan over a project.

Jim Thomas estimated Eric Fisher would be the 4th lineman taken this year. I think if Lewan didn't have off the field problems, he'd be the #1 OT in the draft. Lewan is far more experienced, faster, almost as strong (3 reps?) and equal or better athlete.
    I'd be happy with Matthews. I think he is going to be a long-term LT in this league. I think Lewan most likely will be as well. And yes, Robinson is a bit of a project, at least as a pass blocker, but a lot of people draw comparisons to Orlando Pace. That's quite a comparison.

But ultimately understand, this mock is simply my best guess at how I think it will go down. Not necessarily what I would or would not do if I were in their position.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12