Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: HUb's mini-mock 1.0

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUb's mini-mock 1.0

I don't do a lot of mocks, since everything leading up to draft day, to include draft day, changes the entire landscape. It's gotta be like writing software code: you put a lot of work into it, then the next day it's most likely obsolete.

But anyway, I'll do this one. It's a mini-mock, which is to say, all picks 1-13, then just a few rounds of Rams picks. Why only 1-13, HUb? Cause I could give 2 shinolas what every other team does in the rest of round 1.

Here we go:

1. Houston - Teddy Bridgewater, QB - Yes, I know Bortles is the popular pick here, and I wouldn't argue against him. However, I think after the smoke clears from this week's Pro Days in Louisville and Orlando, I think we go right back to where we were 3 months ago; with Teddy Bridgewater as sitting on top of the QB pile.

2. Atlanta - Jadeveon Clowney, DE - That's right. I "mocked" a trade. Sue me (lol). They're not going to give up a ton, because they could just as easily sit at 6 and take one of the OTs. But they do have a need at Clowney's position, and if he truly is a once-in-a-(insert hyperbolic time period here) type of player, then the Falcons should make the jump. The pals, Dimitroff and Snead, make a deal that costs the 'Cons the #6, #36, and #68 this year plus their 2015 third round pick.

3. Jax - Blake Bortles, QB - They could use this pick on a lot of different areas, but ultimately they have to get their QB. They catapulted Gabbert to the Nocal (which was smart), but Chad Henne is not going to lead them out of the perpetual cellar. Though I will say this......don't be surprised if they trade down to a team looking for a WR to jump ahead of Cleveland.

4. Cleveland - Sammy Watkins, WR - If they could draft a new owner and front office, they would. Jimmy Haslem has done this team no favors, and they look like a rudderless ship. They need a long-term answer at QB (which probably isn't Hoyer), but I don't think that's Manziel. What they can do is supply Hoyer with more weapons. And Watkins fits that bill.

5. Oakland - Johnny Manziel, QB - Seriously, doesn't Manziel just seem like a Raider? They have to find a QB, and Manziel may be the only shot.

6. Rams - Khalil Mack, OLB - I may be overthinking this one. I'm not even convincing myself that the pick won't be an OT. However, it seems like Fisher truly believes Boudreau can "coach up" any OL.....and maybe he can. My brain says flip a coin between Matthews and Robinson, but I can't help but think that the pick may be a blitzing LB for Williams (which he has had with every team he's DC'd for). I don't know; we'll see.

7. Tampa - Greg Robinson, OT - It's just a value thing at this point. Had one of the 3 QBs dropped, they would have grabbed him, but none did. They signed Collins to replace Penn, but there's room to add a franchise LT here. Surprise pick alert: Derek Carr. There's a relationship between the Carr family and the Bucs OC. Plus I think the professionals think more of Carr than the fans do. Not sayin'.....I'm just sayin'.

8. Minnesota - Justin Gilbert, CB - They want to trade down at this point, if they can find a partner. Matthews is the value here, but with Kalil and Loadholt, the Vikes have their OTs. So, they go with Gilbert. Yes, they signed Cox and Munnerlyn, but can you have "too many" CBs in the division where 1 out of every 4 games is against either Megatron or Brandon Marshall?

9. Buffalo - Mike Evans - They have nice complementary pieces, but don't have a big go-to receiver for Manuel. Now they do.

10. Detroit - Ha Ha Clinton Dix, S - That secondary is a sad state of affair in Motown. This pick could just as easily be Dennard, but with Delmas gone, they pick up their new FS.

11. Tennessee - Jake Matthews, OT - What? How in the world does the Oilers/Titans pick up another Matthews on their O-line. Well, he's the BPA, if nothing else. Roos and (newly signed) Oher appear to be the starters now, but Roos is entering a contract year, and Oher was allowed to walk by Ozzie Newsome. Newsome doesn't tend to let good players leave Baltimore so Sandra Bullock's favorite OT may not be a long term answer either. Another option here......CJ Mosely.

12. NY Giants - Taylor Lewan, OT - The Giants need a LT. And TL is that LT.

13. Rams - Aaron Donald, DT - No, surely not. The Rams don't use both of their 1st rounders on the front 7, do they? Do they? Front to back, left to right - Long, Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Ogletree, J-Lau, Mack. Gregg Williams just blacked out from sheer joy. Again, Dennard is an option here as well. Or on the other side of the ball, Zack Martin.

36 - Xavier Sua'-Filo, OG - powerful, experienced blocker, who could move inside in a pinch. May not make it this far down.

44 - Jimmie Ward, FS - A true centerfielder. Think 2007 Atogwe.

68 - Billy Turner, OT - Small college superstar, but very aggresive with a nasty demeanor. I'm sure Boudreau would love to refine the technique of this beast.

75 - Louichez Purifoy, CB - physical, hard-nosed corner that got in a little trouble in school. Not Fisher's 1st rodeo.

Well, there's the 1st 3 rounds. The only thing that bugs me is no QB and no WR. I guess you can't fix everything in one draft. Especially when you use early picks that are good value, but don't patch a specific hole.
    Richbert88 likes this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: HUb's mini-mock 1.0

That mock would have me doing sommersaults. I'd be absolutely beside myself.

QB in the 4th, maybe Murray makes it that far, if not Logan Thomas is extremely intriguing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Ugg....I knew I had that all wrong.

Just kidding.
    Rambos and FestusRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Only thing I would change is getting Brandon Coleman at either the 68th or risk it at the 75th position. Other than that I would be smiles with this :-D

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

If we got Mack and Donald we'd have the best front seven defense in the NFL… our secondary would be below-average though

general counsel is offline Registered User

I would be very pleased with the first two picks. I have no problem making the front seven completely dominant. I think that in the current nfl, pass rush is mission critical. I am not suggesting that the secondary doesnt matter, but i think pass rush is the key to pass defense. The receivers are too fast and big to be covered down the field for very long without a pass rush.

Go watch tape on the greatest defense of all time, the 1985 bears. Their secondary was average at best, especially at the corner position. So what, the qb couldnt throw from flat on his ass. The front seven on the other hand, was absolutely dominant in the extreme. Gee, i wonder where fisher was trained defensively, oh, thats right, chicago under buddy ryan!

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Vinnie25 likes this.

One other point, I dont see how the raiders can possibly pass on an offensive tackle with the #5 after the saffold debacle, but i guess since its the raiders, you never know.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I don't do a lot of mocks, since everything leading up to draft day, to include draft day, changes the entire landscape. It's gotta be like writing software code: you put a lot of work into it, then the next day it's most likely obsolete.

But anyway, I'll do this one. It's a mini-mock, which is to say, all picks 1-13, then just a few rounds of Rams picks. Why only 1-13, HUb? Cause I could give 2 shinolas what every other team does in the rest of round 1.

Here we go:

1. Houston - Teddy Bridgewater, QB - Yes, I know Bortles is the popular pick here, and I wouldn't argue against him. However, I think after the smoke clears from this week's Pro Days in Louisville and Orlando, I think we go right back to where we were 3 months ago; with Teddy Bridgewater as sitting on top of the QB pile.

2. Atlanta - Jadeveon Clowney, DE - That's right. I "mocked" a trade. Sue me (lol). They're not going to give up a ton, because they could just as easily sit at 6 and take one of the OTs. But they do have a need at Clowney's position, and if he truly is a once-in-a-(insert hyperbolic time period here) type of player, then the Falcons should make the jump. The pals, Dimitroff and Snead, make a deal that costs the 'Cons the #6, #36, and #68 this year plus their 2015 third round pick.

3. Jax - Blake Bortles, QB - They could use this pick on a lot of different areas, but ultimately they have to get their QB. They catapulted Gabbert to the Nocal (which was smart), but Chad Henne is not going to lead them out of the perpetual cellar. Though I will say this......don't be surprised if they trade down to a team looking for a WR to jump ahead of Cleveland.

4. Cleveland - Sammy Watkins, WR - If they could draft a new owner and front office, they would. Jimmy Haslem has done this team no favors, and they look like a rudderless ship. They need a long-term answer at QB (which probably isn't Hoyer), but I don't think that's Manziel. What they can do is supply Hoyer with more weapons. And Watkins fits that bill.

5. Oakland - Johnny Manziel, QB - Seriously, doesn't Manziel just seem like a Raider? They have to find a QB, and Manziel may be the only shot.

6. Rams - Khalil Mack, OLB - I may be overthinking this one. I'm not even convincing myself that the pick won't be an OT. However, it seems like Fisher truly believes Boudreau can "coach up" any OL.....and maybe he can. My brain says flip a coin between Matthews and Robinson, but I can't help but think that the pick may be a blitzing LB for Williams (which he has had with every team he's DC'd for). I don't know; we'll see.

7. Tampa - Greg Robinson, OT - It's just a value thing at this point. Had one of the 3 QBs dropped, they would have grabbed him, but none did. They signed Collins to replace Penn, but there's room to add a franchise LT here. Surprise pick alert: Derek Carr. There's a relationship between the Carr family and the Bucs OC. Plus I think the professionals think more of Carr than the fans do. Not sayin'.....I'm just sayin'.

8. Minnesota - Justin Gilbert, CB - They want to trade down at this point, if they can find a partner. Matthews is the value here, but with Kalil and Loadholt, the Vikes have their OTs. So, they go with Gilbert. Yes, they signed Cox and Munnerlyn, but can you have "too many" CBs in the division where 1 out of every 4 games is against either Megatron or Brandon Marshall?

9. Buffalo - Mike Evans - They have nice complementary pieces, but don't have a big go-to receiver for Manuel. Now they do.

10. Detroit - Ha Ha Clinton Dix, S - That secondary is a sad state of affair in Motown. This pick could just as easily be Dennard, but with Delmas gone, they pick up their new FS.

11. Tennessee - Jake Matthews, OT - What? How in the world does the Oilers/Titans pick up another Matthews on their O-line. Well, he's the BPA, if nothing else. Roos and (newly signed) Oher appear to be the starters now, but Roos is entering a contract year, and Oher was allowed to walk by Ozzie Newsome. Newsome doesn't tend to let good players leave Baltimore so Sandra Bullock's favorite OT may not be a long term answer either. Another option here......CJ Mosely.

12. NY Giants - Taylor Lewan, OT - The Giants need a LT. And TL is that LT.

13. Rams - Aaron Donald, DT - No, surely not. The Rams don't use both of their 1st rounders on the front 7, do they? Do they? Front to back, left to right - Long, Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Ogletree, J-Lau, Mack. Gregg Williams just blacked out from sheer joy. Again, Dennard is an option here as well. Or on the other side of the ball, Zack Martin.

36 - Xavier Sua'-Filo, OG - powerful, experienced blocker, who could move inside in a pinch. May not make it this far down.

44 - Jimmie Ward, FS - A true centerfielder. Think 2007 Atogwe.

68 - Billy Turner, OT - Small college superstar, but very aggresive with a nasty demeanor. I'm sure Boudreau would love to refine the technique of this beast.

75 - Louichez Purifoy, CB - physical, hard-nosed corner that got in a little trouble in school. Not Fisher's 1st rodeo.

Well, there's the 1st 3 rounds. The only thing that bugs me is no QB and no WR. I guess you can't fix everything in one draft. Especially when you use early picks that are good value, but don't patch a specific hole.
    Wild Billy Turner, LT, North Dakota State, (HT: 6'5", WT: 315 lbs)

Positives

Looked extremely well-*put-*together physically at the National Scouting Weigh-*in during the 2014 Senior Bowl.

Very tight and sprung musculature throughout.

Possesses a terrific upfield motor in the run game.

Uses a very long 81-*inch wingspan to push and shove and reach block as necessary.

Displays outstanding toughness and a clear desire for contact.

Played in mostly man-*power concepts at NDSU but appears to have the agility, power and reach to adapt well in a more zone*-based scheme.

Excellent hand placement when engaging.

Punches up into the armpit, then shoves up and through as opposed to out and away.

Was able to put a great sample of work on tape in 2013 against a non*-FCS-level opponent in Kansas State, where he racked up a ridiculous 10 knockdowns and graded out at a near*-perfect "96 percent" by the Bison coaching staff.

Did not allow one sack through the 2013 season.

Comes from an NFL family.

Showed evidence of good explosiveness at the NFL combine, registering the 12th-best vertical leap among offensive linemen.

Negatives

Requires major work on kick slide in pass protection; evaluators will view this as an issue that needs immediate resolution.

Technically sloppy in numerous lower-body and core movements out of stance into kick and lateral power steps.

Inconsistent in technique when kicking backward.

Stood out in Day 1 of Senior Bowl practices wearing shorts and shoulder pads but failed to consistently flash through the week once pads went on.

Clearly played against an inferior level of competition in college.

Needs work and refinement of technique in knee bend to aid in leg drive and general athletic balance.

Will tend to drift into periods of half*-speed play against inferior competition.

Depends on natural skills versus technique to execute assignments.

Clearly needs to become more focused on pad level and general use of leverage in numerous aspects of both run-*blocking and pass-protection schemes.

Nothing there Coach 'Bou' couldn't clean up ..

Great post Maui, seems like a really interesting guy, and you have to love a tackle that is already advanced at punching up into the armpit, a skill many of us try hard to master in business.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    One other point, I dont see how the raiders can possibly pass on an offensive tackle with the #5 after the saffold debacle, but i guess since its the raiders, you never know.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    well, they did sign Austin Howard. Understandably, that wouldn't preclude them from grabbing one of the OTs, if they don't feel Manziel is the answer. I just think their need at QB is greater.

citr92 is offline Registered User

definitely a fan of billy turner, good to see that most of the negatives are coaching related material

also of jimmy ward...though i'd have to look at him a bit more
    Last edited by citr92; -03-15-2014 at 11:23 PM.

kman is online now Registered User

id like to have those guys but that's too much d, we need offensive help

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I'd go even nuttier if this draft went down.
    Semper Fi!

LARAM is offline Registered User

I could live with this.....But I think I would like to see a a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. Zac Stacy is solid, but thats about all we have.....I'm not sold that our back ups can be effective if Stacy goes down....Personally I really like Jeremy Hill, RB LSU. He's big and fast and take it inside all day long....he's got some maturity issues though. I think he could be a sleeper if he keeps his nose clean.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

QB in the 4th, maybe Murray makes it that far, if not Logan Thomas is extremely intriguing to me.
    I hope you are athletic doing all those somersaults cause I'll be needed to plat WR after this draft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast