HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUb's view of the Rams draft

1. Michael Huff, Texas, CB/S

In the top 10 picks there will be a couple of teams that go with position needs instead of BPA, and Huff falls into our lap. He is an athletic playmaker who is always around the ball. He can play in the box or drop back in coverage. He's the starting FS from day 1.

2. Abdul Hodge, Iowa, MLB

Not ideal size at 6'0", 236, but has the rare combination of solid hitter and sound technician. Coverage is only average, but good enough. He's smart and always around the ball. Depending on our FA moves, he could be our starting MLB very early on.

3. Greg Blue, Georgia, SS

Biggest hitter in the draft. His coverage skills are in the same range as Arch and Carter....a bad thing. His tackling is better than Arch and Carter....a good thing. He's the kind of guy that receivers going across the middle worry about. He could be the guy that Arch was supposed to be before the back injury.

4. Garrett Mills, Tulsa, TE/FB

Not the typical TE, and not the answer for the full-time TE spot. He is however, the perfect H-back....great hands, moves well, blocks well in space. Mills could be the X-factor that gives Linehan's offense even more unpredictibilty.

5. Mark Anderson, Alabama, DE

This kid could be the tweener for Haslett's hybrid defense. Lean frame at 6'4", 254, ran a 4.61 which should be good enough to play the outside swing between the 4-3 and 3-4. Needs to get stronger before the season starts. Non-stop motor, good character, good work ethic

6. Chris Chester, Oklahoma, C

Former TE with one year of starting experience at C. Not the biggest lineman, 6'4", 303, but he is probably the most athletic lineman in the draft. Has the ability to pull to the outside from the center position. Very raw, will be a developmental project.

7. Jahri Evans, Bloomburg, OG

A definite project who played OT in college, but will have to move to OG in the pros. Hard worker, who will have to keep developing to be effective. A standout and dominant Division II player, that will have to prove he can make the upgrade in competition
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-03-2006 at 03:47 PM.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: HUb's view of the Rams draft

Garrett Mills is a very intriguing pick, especially considering the role of a TE/H-back in Linehan's offense. If we go Huff in the first round, I'm not sure we draft another S, though. Overall I think this would be a pretty good draft. Good late round O-line depth, nice assortment of defense early, and a TE who could be used in the same way the Redskins use Chris Cooley.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

If we go Huff in the first round, I'm not sure we draft another S, though.
    I understand what you're saying, but I see them as two very different positions. I think Haslett's D is going to utilize more of a box safety and center-field safety than the standard cover-2 we saw out of Marmie. If that's the case, Huff and Blue could be great counterparts for each other......Huff, the ballhawk playing back, and Blue, the thumper in the box.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

True. I would just prefer to see Atogwe and Carter and maybe a vet free agent (or Arch) at that spot than spend another draft pick at that position. I just think one is enough, but I certainly wouldn't complain if we did get Huff and Blue.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Hey HUB and Nick Could you provide the numbers on Mr. Blue, i.e. height, weight, 40-time? Many thanx. Also if we get him we could always say after a big hit that the recipient got a case of the "Blues!!"

WHAT SAY YE?

At the combine he measured 6'2", 216, and ran a 4.71. However, per Scott Wright from nfldraftcountdown.com, he has run a 4.42. Seems like a pretty big variance, but we'll see where his pro day falls.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I understand what you're saying, but I see them as two very different positions. I think Haslett's D is going to utilize more of a box safety and center-field safety than the standard cover-2 we saw out of Marmie. If that's the case, Huff and Blue could be great counterparts for each other......Huff, the ballhawk playing back, and Blue, the thumper in the box.
    That's why I would love to see Arch brought back. I seem to remember him fitting very nicely into that role in 03'.

I love the selection of Mark Anderson. He's a guy that has spent time at OLB and has a high motor. I've never seen the guy get sucked in on a PA or a reverse. He stays on his assignment and will usually blow those plays up. I think he's a perfect backup for Little who could develop into a very solid starter.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

Greg Blue reminds me of a poor man's version of Thomas Davis from last year.

I love the selection of Mark Anderson.
    Somehow, I knew you would.