Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

HUGE NEWS: Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks dismissed from team

Brooks dismissed
    Chris Wallace
    CavsCorner.com Publisher

It has been a long, tough stretch for Virginia coach Al Groh, as he has faced off-field problems with a couple of key players, as well as the task of rebuilding his coaching staff after four departures late last year. It seemed as if football and recruiting had become the focus again, until this week anyway. CavsCorner.com has learned that one of UVa's expected top players for the 2006 season has been dismissed from the team.

Ahmad Brooks, considered among the best linebackers in the nation when healthy, will no longer be a part of the Virginia program, according to sources close to the situation.

The decision to release Brooks from the team was made after an off-field incident that recently took place, although sources refused to elaborate on the specifics.

The 6-foot-4, 249-pound rising senior had just decided last month to return to UVa for his final year of eligibility and not enter the NFL draft.

Sources said he will now submit an appeal to be included in the draft this April or look to be a part of the NFL's supplemental draft that takes place each summer.

Brooks had 207 tackles and 12 sacks in his first two seasons with the Cavaliers and as a sophomore was named a finalist for the Butkus Award, which goes to the nation's top linebacker.

But last season, his play was limited by numerous injuries. Brooks played in just six games and finished with only 27 tackles and a sack.

Brooks' decision to return for his senior season had been viewed as a huge victory for Virginia's defense, especially after fellow starting inside linebacker Kai Parham chose to submit his name for the NFL draft.

The loss of Brooks leaves the Cavaliers with little experience at inside linebacker. Freshman Antonio Appleby played well late in the season, but beyond that there is virtually no experience.

Other question marks remain as well on the defensive side of the ball, most notably in the secondary.

Starting safety Tony Franklin is facing legal problems stemming from an arrest late last year and his status remains unknown, while the Cavaliers' other starting safety, Nate Lyles, is recovering from a neck injury and has not been cleared as of yet to return.
    This is big news. I doubt Brooks gets into the April draft, but if he is healthy and in shape this summer by the time of the supplemental draft, he could warrant a late first or early second round selection.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: HUGE NEWS: Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks dismissed from team

Wow ... I didn't see that coming. Thanks for the news.
    RamsFan16

rampete is offline Registered User

brooks reminds of a chris claiborne or j. trotter of the eagles...big, strong with modest speed...

but, he's not a twitch-quick lb. in the mold of derrick brooks, urlacher nor even a a.j. hawk...

and with his history of injury and this recent trouble, i don't see him as an upgrade over claiborne...

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    brooks reminds of a chris claiborne or j. trotter of the eagles...big, strong with modest speed...

but, he's not a twitch-quick lb. in the mold of derrick brooks, urlacher nor even a a.j. hawk...

and with his history of injury and this recent trouble, i don't see him as an upgrade over claiborne...
    Claiborne isn't big or strong but your opinion. I'd say more like Trotter.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    You might be right, if you consider the whole package. But if he can stay healthy, he's a HUGE upgrade in the talent department.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I heard he was out chasing women with marcus vick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I heard he was out chasing women with marcus vick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Nah. Vick's a VA Tech man. Brooks is from Virginia. They were probably going to meet for an old fashioned pistol duel outside the local McDonalds.

ZING!