txramsfan is offline Registered User

Huge pick for the Rams future

This first round pick coming up is huge for this organization. Go the wrong way at #2 and that could set you back years. That's why I am very glad that QB isn't even in the mix. That position is so crazy to predict if someone is going to be worth it or not.

So, it comes down to is Curry a MLB? Is Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe solid enough on the O line? That's the proverbial question so if I was the GM do I have the stuff to take a chance on a project or do I play it safe and go O line?

Glad it's not my call. I'm happy to be here acting like I know what I am talking about. However, a first round choice this high can really change how a team goes the next year. Not saying Jake Long was the only reason why Miami turned it around but by providing excellent protection, something they didn't have the year before, allowed them to do different things that opened up the offense. Can Curry make the same statement on defense when paired with the LB's on this team? Not sure. He seems to be the same fit that Witherspoon is, COULD play MLB but can he?

Some say yes, some say maybe. No one is saying no. However, do you risk setting this team back another two years if the experiment misses or do you reap the benefits of winning if he can. Lot's of if's.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Huge pick for the Rams future

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    This first round pick coming up is huge for this organization. Go the wrong way at #2 and that could set you back years. That's why I am very glad that QB isn't even in the mix. That position is so crazy to predict if someone is going to be worth it or not.

So, it comes down to is Curry a MLB? Is Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe solid enough on the O line? That's the proverbial question so if I was the GM do I have the stuff to take a chance on a project or do I play it safe and go O line?
    I agree with you tx.

Taking that approach is Crabtree the safest pick?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    do I have the stuff to take a chance on a project or do I play it safe and go O line?
    How is an O-lineman that has spent 95% of his time in a 2-point stance a safe option? How is an O-lineman with knee issues and what scouts deem a "lack of killer instinct" a safe option?

Are Smith or Monroe any safer than Curry? I don't think so.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I agree it's a big pick Tx but I disagree with the rest of your thought process.

Except for QB and TE there is not a pick in the top 20 that couldn't help feel a need the Rams have. Curry, Monroe, Smith, Crabtree, Macklin, Raji, etc... would all make an immediate impact.

Saying one player could set us back 2 to 3 years is like saying that picking the right player could make us all better. We are in a three year rebuild.

I'm not saying we won't be competitive this year but three drafts and FA periods from now and we will have at least 10 new starters on the Rams roster.

Actually even Stafford wouldn't upset me because I'm looking down the road three years from now.

So to me it's a weird combination of a pressure pick with not much chance to screw it up.

Unless of course we trade down for Petrigrew.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

draft Curry!

i could live with Eugene "Vanilla" Monroe
    B.J. Raji
    or
    Jeremy Maclin

but not!

Jason "Lady legs" Smith

Andre "anyone know for a good sports bra in dolly partons size?" Smith

Micheal Oher? i dunno...im not as down on him as some but there are some little red flags in the distance that may become big ones if not eradicated soon and 2nd overall may be too high a gamble to take on him.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    How is an O-lineman that has spent 95% of his time in a 2-point stance a safe option? How is an O-lineman with knee issues and what scouts deem a "lack of killer instinct" a safe option?

Are Smith or Monroe any safer than Curry? I don't think so.
    You can say the same for Curry, how can a guy who has never played MLB be a safe pick. The thing is you'll have questions about everyone, there will be many things to take in, and we will not see how it ends up until April.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    You can say the same for Curry, how can a guy who has never played MLB be a safe pick. The thing is you'll have questions about everyone, there will be many things to take in, and we will not see how it ends up until April.
    Exactly!

There is no such thing as a safe pick. Nothing for certain anywhere between the first pick and Mr. Irrelevant. If risk is a concern for a team, all they can do is find which player is closest to safe.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Saying one player could set us back 2 to 3 years is like saying that picking the right player could make us all better. We are in a three year rebuild.
    It's not just the player, it's the huge amount of money paid to a high draft pick and fact that if that player does not work out, you still have a serious need to fill and you missed an opportunity to possibly take care of another area of weakness. I agree completely with everything Tx presented. A bad decision will have a negative cumulitive effect that can set the Rams back 2 or 3years. This draft pick is critical.

general counsel is offline Registered User

THere is no way that a player with a stress fracture in his foot is a safe pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Man, how anal retentitive are you draft nix? LOL Let's just say it's a toss up between all the draft picks....this is a serious pick for the Rams. That was the basis of the post. Not necessarily an OT or LB, and if I wrote it that way well it's the wonderful world of the web that made it seem that way.

How can one player affect the Rams for decades? Money. To put that much stock and money in the 2nd pick of the draft just doesn't have ramifications for 2009, it echoes on for years after. That was what I was hoping to get from this, not necessarily that we have to take a certain player or position.

r8trh8trmike It's not just the player, it's the huge amount of money paid to a high draft pick and fact that if that player does not work out, you still have a serious need to fill and you missed an opportunity to possibly take care of another area of weakness. I agree completely with everything Tx presented. A bad decision will have a negative cumulitive effect that can set the Rams back 2 or 3years. This draft pick is critical.
    Thanks mike, that's exactly what I meant.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-24-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Sorry if I misinterpreted your first post... I got hung up on the "go the wrong way" part.

My point was with the number two pick and so many holes it would be hard for the Rams to go the wrong way.

Smith and Monroe are the best OTs in the draft.

Curry is as solid a pick as Chris Long.

Raji feels a huge hole in trying to stop the run.

Crabtree/Macklin will both start and make an impact this season.

Yes anyone of these players could be a bust but at this level you have as good a chance picking the winning lotto numbers as you do pin pointing the bust in this group. People who say Monroe lacks this or Curry is a project or Crabtree is out because of the surgery are just over analyzing or trying to justify the player they want picked.

Again unless they trade down for a TE I don't think I will be disappointed with anyone Spags or Devaney picks.

IMHO

No worries, it's just that drafting this high always scares me. Last year, Chris Long WAS a no-brainer. Everyone knew it. However, this year is a little different. I would rather select 20th than 2nd but that's just me.

Also, this is mind spinning stuff. Every 5 minutes I change my mind on who I want to select. And after everyone's mock of the first mock of spring that was based on the mock after the Senior Bowl but before the mock from the combine makes me very dizzy.

Last year, Chris Long WAS a no-brainer. Everyone knew it.
    Was last year any different though. Yes, Long was the safest pick (much like Curry this year, IMO). However, there were members in the Dorsey camp, "God-like" Gholston camp, even some McFadden and Ryan campers.

I think it's just another year, same as all those that came before it in most regards.

Tx, what sucks for you is that next year there will be even MORE volatility in the pre-draft discussion as we will be picking at 32.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    No worries, it's just that drafting this high always scares me. Last year, Chris Long WAS a no-brainer. Everyone knew it. However, this year is a little different. I would rather select 20th than 2nd but that's just me.

Also, this is mind spinning stuff. Every 5 minutes I change my mind on who I want to select. And after everyone's mock of the first mock of spring that was based on the mock after the Senior Bowl but before the mock from the combine makes me very dizzy.
    So what you are saying is that the draft is a........CRAPSHOOT?