7 58.33%
  • Hakeem Nicks

5 41.67%
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By THOLTFAN81
  • 2 Post By THOLTFAN81
  • 3 Post By Mikey
  • 1 Post By RosieJones

Thread: Hypothetical FA Question: Who Would You Rather?

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Hypothetical FA Question: Who Would You Rather?

This is just a question to gauge the Clan on their interests in two free agent WRs.

While I would love to draft a WR in round 1 such as Marqise Lee, Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins, I think free agency also presents some great opportunities for us, and may even be the better route. We are so green at WR, adding another rookie may not change anything we already are experiencing. Bringing in a proven vet to not only produce but mentor some of the young guys may be much more beneficial to our WR corp than bringing in a unknown rookie.

The two WR FAs who stand out most, obviously, are Hakeem Nicks and Eric Decker.

Decker will be 27 week 1, 2014
    Nicks will be 26 week 1, 2014

Both are still reasonably young, so I ask you all: Who would you rather sign Nicks or Decker?

*This is a not a Neither poll. It is a hypothetical poll in a world where the Rams are going to sign one or the other, and you have to pick one.

My vote is for Eric Decker.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Hypothetical FA Question: Who Would You Rather?

Went for Eric D. as well man he would look great in Horns! LOL
    To me Nicks has been injured a bit badly not sure he is same guy now, so that made my descison easier.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I wen't with Nicks because he has more #1 potential to me. When Nicks is fully healthy (earlier years in his career) he was a star. Great hands, massive too, solid route runner - very deceptive. If he can get back to being healthy and just play and react rather than think so much he'll be VERY good. If you take Decker out of Denver I don't think he's as good as he is. He's a big body WR who will make possession catches but doesn't really have #1 potential in my eyes.

THE DREAM TEAM

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Decker does exactly what the Rams need, he catches the ball when it's thrown to him.

He's pretty underrated if you ask me. If he can make Tebow look like an average NFL QB he must be pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I wen't with Nicks because he has more #1 potential to me. When Nicks is fully healthy (earlier years in his career) he was a star. Great hands, massive too, solid route runner - very deceptive. If he can get back to being healthy and just play and react rather than think so much he'll be VERY good. If you take Decker out of Denver I don't think he's as good as he is. He's a big body WR who will make possession catches but doesn't really have #1 potential in my eyes.
    Though I'd be happy with either, I wouldn't call Decker a possession guy or a byproduct of the system. The guy is a flat out gamer with the size of a #1. He was a third round pick, and you don't blow a top 3 round pick on a guy who you don't think has the potential to be a go to target. Lets call a spade a spade, the main reason why anyone would be hesitant to sign him is the thought of a white receiver being your #1 haha. But I look to Jordy Nelson, who I would certainly pay good money for in free agency. Further, Decker has two inches on Nicks and about 10 more lbs.

I think Decker offers much more to us than meets the "eye". Plus, his stats last year (1,064 yards 13 TDs, 85 receptions) were without the extra attention bought by Welker & Orange Julius Thomas. And with Tebow the prior year (his second yr in the NFL) he had 612 yards, 8 touchdowns on 44 receptions. Those are world-beater stats with Tebow lol.

Thanks for the insight though Sos.

My projected contracts for each with regards to what they will receive by us or another team:

Eric Decker - 5 year deal similar to Greg Jennings
    Hakeem Nicks - I see him getting roughly a 3-4 year deal but solid $. I think a team will overpay for past production rather than the player he's been of late.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -12-10-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    sosa39rams and Randart like this.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Though I'd be happy with either, I wouldn't call Decker a possession guy or a byproduct of the system. The guy is a flat out gamer with the size of a #1. He was a third round pick, and you don't blow a top 3 round pick on a guy who you don't think has the potential to be a go to target. Lets call a spade a spade, the main reason why anyone would be hesitant to sign him is the thought of a white receiver being your #1 haha. But I look to Jordy Nelson, who I would certainly pay good money for in free agency. Further, Decker has two inches on Nicks and about 10 more lbs.

I think Decker offers much more to us than meets the "eye". Plus, his stats last year (1,064 yards 13 TDs, 85 receptions) were without the extra attention bought by Welker & Orange Julius Thomas. And with Tebow the prior year (his second yr in the NFL) he had 612 yards, 8 touchdowns on 44 receptions. Those are world-beater stats with Tebow lol.

Thanks for the insight though Sos.

My projected contracts for each with regards to what they will receive by us or another team:

Eric Decker - 5 year deal similar to Greg Jennings
    Hakeem Nicks - I see him getting roughly a 3-4 year deal but solid $. I think a team will overpay for past production rather than the player he's been of late.
    Certainly possible, and you're right about Decker in regards to Tebow. He didn't get many opportunities that year but he sure made the most of them. I certainly wouldn't be mad with neither. Decker has great hands and offers big time size. He's very reliable and doesn't have many slip ups. I'd happily take Decker at the right price.

Nicks is a 50/50. He can return to being the old Nicks where he was a #1 WR who won with great routes and good hands. For this reason I wouldn't want to dish a lot of $ at Nicks. I would do a multi year deal 2/3 years - but I would be careful about it.

THE DREAM TEAM

Certainly possible, and you're right about Decker in regards to Tebow. He didn't get many opportunities that year but he sure made the most of them. I certainly wouldn't be mad with neither. Decker has great hands and offers big time size. He's very reliable and doesn't have many slip ups. I'd happily take Decker at the right price.

Nicks is a 50/50. He can return to being the old Nicks where he was a #1 WR who won with great routes and good hands. For this reason I wouldn't want to dish a lot of $ at Nicks. I would do a multi year deal 2/3 years - but I would be careful about it.
    I guess the question then I'd pose to you Sos is who would you feel more comfortable giving a multi year (4-5 which is most WR contracts now) deal to, Decker or Nicks?

Mikey is online now Registered User

Decker by a margin. Nicks has disappeared it seems to me in games this year, not that the whole Giants team hasn't as well. I like Decker's work ethic and what you hear about him coming out of Denver. Plus who wouldn't like to see his wife in the stands on game day.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I guess the question then I'd pose to you Sos is who would you feel more comfortable giving a multi year (4-5 which is most WR contracts now) deal to, Decker or Nicks?
    Definitely Decker. He's much more reliable (injury wise and has played excellent ball). Nicks is a much bigger risk and gamble, but I have a funny feeling he's going to workout (whatever happens to him).

THE DREAM TEAM

citr92 is offline Registered User

i don't think i've witnessed decker dropping a pass...

and i do feel that the rams need more vets on the offensive side...WR is a must, having the oldest guy be a 3rd year guy...blecch, though decker isn't older he's figured it out and gets it done every week, the Rams' receivers don't unfortunately
    Last edited by citr92; -12-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i don't think i've witnessed decker dropping a pass...
    He's had multiple drops this year. A stat I'm seeing is he's had 7 this year, ties him with Tavon. PFF had Decker at 12 drops last year. So there is some potential for some dropped passes.

2012:

Eric Decker: 120 targets, 85 catches, 12 drops, 97 catchable, 12.37 drop rate.
    Hakeem Nicks: 96 targets, 53 catches, 2 drops, 55 catchable, 3.64 drop rate.

2013:

Eric Decker: 109 targets, 71 catches, 7 drops, 78 catchable, 6.4 drop rate.
    Hakeem Nicks: 85 targets, 49 receptions, 4 drops, 53 catchable, 4.7 drop rate.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -12-10-2013 at 08:24 PM.

THE DREAM TEAM

citr92 is offline Registered User

He's had multiple drops this year. A stat I'm seeing is he's had 7 this year, ties him with Tavon. PFF had Decker at 12 drops last year. So there is some potential for some dropped passes.

2012:

Eric Decker: 120 targets, 85 catches, 12 drops, 97 catchable, 12.37 drop rate.
    Hakeem Nicks: 96 targets, 53 catches, 2 drops, 55 catchable, 3.64 drop rate.

2013:

Eric Decker: 109 targets, 71 catches, 7 drops, 78 catchable, 6.4 drop rate.
    Hakeem Nicks: 85 targets, 49 receptions, 4 drops, 53 catchable, 4.7 drop rate.
    really...huh...well if he's a ram i should watch more cause i still haven't seen him drop one lol

does tavon have the most drops?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Nicks.

I wouldn't spend the money it would take to get Decker in Horns. He's a solid receiver, but I'm not sold on him being an elite wide out without Peyton throwing to him.

Nicks should be way less pricey, as he's had issues with consistency due to injury. With the Rams seemingly cashed strapped in 2014, he would be the perfect FA to target. He's proven before that he has play-making ability and can be a monster in the redzone.

Maybe a change of scenery is all he needs.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Nicks.

I wouldn't spend the money it would take to get Decker in Horns. He's a solid receiver, but I'm not sold on him being an elite wide out without Peyton throwing to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Nicks should be way less pricey, as he's had issues with consistency due to injury. With the Rams seemingly cashed strapped in 2014, he would be the perfect FA to target. He's proven before that he has play-making ability and can be a monster in the redzone.

Maybe a change of scenery is all he needs.
    Decker had 612 yards and 8 TDs with Tebow as his QB. It was probably a happy accident most of those passes were of the forward variety, let alone on target.

I think you may be right that Decker could be too expensive for the Rams this year, but I think he'd do just fine with Bradford throwing him the ball.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.