Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: I believe Bradford is now a lock to go first overall

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    The more I think about it, the less I'm sure Bradford's the pick. My gut feeling at first was that he was, but $3 million a year is an awful lot to spend on your backup QB, especially if you take Bradford in the first round, since he'll command $7-$8 million before incentives.
    Chad Pennington just signed a 1-year deal for $2.5 million to back up Chad Henne, so if it does equate to $3 million/yr it's hardly breaking the bank. If you wanted to make an argument for not taking Bradford, you could've at least mentioned how we didn't tender Gary Gibson and waived LaJuan Ramsey. As it stands right now, we have little to no depth at DT. I still think we're going Bradford though from what I can gather and the direction we're heading in. It'll take a horrible performance along with a bum shoulder on his pro day for him not to be the first overall pick.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Chad Pennington just signed a 1-year deal for $2.5 million to back up Chad Henne, so if it does equate to $3 million/yr it's hardly breaking the bank. If you wanted to make an argument for not taking Bradford, you could've at least mentioned how we didn't tender Gary Gibson and waived LaJuan Ramsey. As it stands right now, we have little to no depth at DT. I still think we're going Bradford though from what I can gather and the direction we're heading in. It'll take a horrible performance along with a bum shoulder on his pro day for him not to be the first overall pick.
    The difference here being Chad Pennington has not been a third string quarterback the last few seasons, and in fact was Miami's starter going into last season and for all of 2008. So if $2.5 million is the going rate for a QB with that pedigree, why are we paying Feeley, who has but a fraction of Pennington's accomplishments half a million a year more?

Even if there was the intent of Pennington being the "bridge" between the 2007 QB mess and Henne, the Dolphins had the intent that Henne should ride the pine for multiple seasons. Sitting Bradford for multiple seasons will not fly with the fanbase.

--------------------------------------

EDIT: Upon further thought, I think I have the explanation for Feeley's contract. We accidentally faxed our offer sheet for Pennington to Feeley, and he agreed before we could realize what we had done.
    Last edited by PeoriaRam; -03-06-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: It all makes sense now!

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    The difference here being Chad Pennington has not been a third string quarterback the last few seasons, and in fact was Miami's starter going into last season and for all of 2008. So if $2.5 million is the going rate for a QB with that pedigree, why are we paying Feeley, who has but a fraction of Pennington's accomplishments half a million a year more?

Even if there was the intent of Pennington being the "bridge" between the 2007 QB mess and Henne, the Dolphins had the intent that Henne should ride the pine for multiple seasons. Sitting Bradford for multiple seasons will not fly with the fanbase.
    You were arguing that paying Feeley $3M made you believe we weren't taking Bradford, so I just mentioned how Pennington was making $2.5M this year. That has nothing to do with talent level, so that argument is irrelvent here. The Dolphins could've brought Ryan Leaf out of retirement and paid him the same amount of money they paid Pennington, and I would use it as an example. The point being was that you believe we're paying Feeley too much to be our back up, when I'm trying to state that isn't the case, even more so in an uncapped year. The fact that Feeley hasn't accomplished the same accolades as Pennington doesn't mean anything in the case you're trying to argue.

Of course the Dolphins had the intent of having Henne watch and learn for a period of time. He can do so and it can be justified because he was a second round pick. He didn't have the $42+ million guaranteed tied up in him like Bradford will being the first overall pick. The Rams hand is forced because in order to get a return on that massive investment as well as have him develop they need to play him early on. However, Carson Palmer did hold a clipboard his entire rookie season so it isn't unheard of. I don't think it would be unreasonable for Bradford to come in and start mid-season but of course fans will be hollering for that once we get trounced in our first game of the season. Put this into perspective: fans wanted to see Keith Null starting around week nine. Can you imagine what it's going to be like with Bradford? I still think Feeley will start around 6-8 games before he gets some action and/or starts. When you're the first overall pick of an entire draft, sitting on the bench won't fly period. With the Dolphins it was a different situation entirely because of where Henne was selected -- they didn't have the financial implications forcing him into playing time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12